Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 190 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I still think the perfect Nintendo implementation would be Mario in USF, Zelda in IOA, and Pokemon in Park 3. Flagship series in the flagship park, an iconic fantasy adventure series in the fantasy adventure-based park, and their second biggest IP to help anchor a new park. Stuff like Kirby and Animal Crossing could still be featured, but maybe in minor roles. For example, something like that Kirby Cafe that opened in Japan would probably be a huge hit in CityWalk or even somewhere in USF. Same if they open a Roost-themed cafe based off Animal Crossing somewhere in the parks or CityWalk.

I still think the perfect Nintendo implementation would be Mario in USF, Zelda in IOA, and Pokemon in Park 3. Flagship series in the flagship park, an iconic fantasy adventure series in the fantasy adventure-based park, and their second biggest IP to help anchor a new park. Stuff like Kirby and Animal Crossing could still be featured, but maybe in minor roles. For example, something like that Kirby Cafe that opened in Japan would probably be a huge hit in CityWalk or even somewhere in USF. Same if they open a Roost-themed cafe based off Animal Crossing somewhere in the parks or CityWalk.

I would love nothing more than a Small World style AC dark ride.

I'm always curious about Kirby. I feel like the character is a B-Lister in the States and more A-list in Japan.

The same thing essentially happened with Jurassic Park. It was slated to go in ironically in the same area of the park and then plans came along for a new park. I understand everyone's excited and wants to see Mario world as soon as possible, I do too, but common sense is telling me this is a big property and worth holding back to headline the new park. Then once that's complete they could easily add Nintendo elements to USF and IOA. Unless Universal has a property bigger than Nintendo up their sleeves that we don't know about I just can't see Mario happening in USF.

Newcomer here! Love the excitement this partnership is continuing to generate! Universal has something massive on there hands here with this situation. Nintendo is the perfect opportunity for them to balance out their other offerings, that's why they likely want it in all their Parks, same as Potter.

Also about the Mario vs Pokemon popularity argument...

They really are about on the same page popularity wise, which mind you is leagues above any other videogaming franchises,(Sorry Zelder, but that includes you) however Super Mario has always had one advantage over Pokemon and that's being 100% Nintendo owned. Pokemon while intrinsically linked to Nintendo forever, is still a jointly owned series.

BTW the same applies to Kirby, Super Smash Brothers, and the Fire Emblem series.

The same thing essentially happened with Jurassic Park. It was slated to go in ironically in the same area of the park and then plans came along for a new park. I understand everyone's excited and wants to see Mario world as soon as possible, I do too, but common sense is telling me this is a big property and worth holding back to headline the new park. Then once that's complete they could easily add Nintendo elements to USF and IOA. Unless Universal has a property bigger than Nintendo up their sleeves that we don't know about I just can't see Mario happening in USF.
Well, the insiders around here do. Sooooooo......
giphy.gif

Also, I think Jurassic Park was slated for what is now MIB.

Reactions: universal_fanatic
Well, the insiders around here do. Sooooooo......
Well the insiders all said KidZone demolition would begin in 2014 with the new area opening in 2016. To me this doesn't say they were wrong but indicates that obviously the plan changed, if anything this insider information seems to line up perfectly with the recent land purchase causing big changes in planning to happen.

Reactions: jarmor
I just can't see Mario happening in USF.
Considering how low-capacity KidZone is (E.T. being the only attraction an adult without kids might seek out) compared to the 10 acres it covers, why wouldn't Mario come to USF?

Mario Kart E-ticket, Yoshi's Island E-ticket, DK D-ticket, WarioWare/Captain Toad-themed flat rides (both franchises lend themselves well to a wacky flat ride), maybe a Peach attraction (a M&G/show)>>>E.T., Animal Actors, a toddler-only show, two play areas and a kiddie coaster.

It also fits the trend of Universal replacing old, lower-capacity attractions with more relevant, high-capacity attractions:
Transformers replaces Stage 44
Springfield takes over an essentially desolate area of USF
Diagon Alley (2 attractions) replaces Jaws (1 attraction)
Fallon (higher capacity/more visitors per hour) replaces Twister
F&F (same as above) replaces Disaster

Comcast wants to utilize their space as best they can. It fits their theme park model to take a middling kiddie area and replacing it with a family-friendly section on par with the California and Paris Fantasylands (soon to be Tokyo, too)

Reactions: Andysol
Newcomer here! Love the excitement this partnership is continuing to generate! Universal has something massive on there hands here with this situation. Nintendo is the perfect opportunity for them to balance out their other offerings, that's why they likely want it in all their Parks, same as Potter.

Also about the Mario vs Pokemon popularity argument...

They really are about on the same page popularity wise, which mind you is leagues above any other videogaming franchises,(Sorry Zelder, but that includes you) however Super Mario has always had one advantage over Pokemon and that's being 100% Nintendo owned. Pokemon while intrinsically linked to Nintendo forever, is still a jointly owned series.

BTW the same applies to Kirby, Super Smash Brothers, and the Fire Emblem series.

Welcome!

Reactions: E.Gadd
I would love nothing more than a Small World style AC dark ride.

I'm always curious about Kirby. I feel like the character is a B-Lister in the States and more A-list in Japan.
Honestly, Yoshi's Island will probably be a Small World-type dark ride since the tropical setting lends itself well to a flume. However, Navi River Journey and the Shanghai POTC might deter Comcast from going this direction because they won't want to be perceived as a copycat if those attractions are good.

But two dark rides, a family coaster, two flat rides, a play area/walkthrough maze and a specialized M&G would be about perfect. I hope we get at least half of this. And based on rumors, it sounds like there will be 4-5 attractions.

This sums it up to me exactly:

Considering how low-capacity KidZone is (E.T. being the only attraction an adult without kids might seek out) compared to the 10 acres it covers, why wouldn't Mario come to USF?

So, @s8film40 - if not Mario, then what? Something has to replace Kidzone. I have a 3 and 7 year old- we're the target demo- know how much time we spend at Kidzone? About as much as we spend talking to the taxi driver on the way out. Mario fixes all that.

Reactions: s8film40
So, @s8film40 - if not Mario, then what? Something has to replace Kidzone. I have a 3 and 7 year old- we're the target demo- know how much time we spend at Kidzone? About as much as we spend talking to the taxi driver on the way out. Mario fixes all that.

Great question! If Nintendo doesn't go to USF then another concept will have to come to KidZone.

Reactions: s8film40
This sums it up to me exactly:

I don't know, and just to be clear I'm not saying that this is 100% how it's going to happen it's just what makes sense to me. We have a 2 1/2 year old and actually Kid Zone isn't that bad for us. I think they could take a wait and see approach and put in SLoP, Minions or something from Nintendo in there. Barney definitely needs to go so even if it's just a light retheme to the land I think somethings got to give at some point.

They'd probably use DreamWorks (Shrek, HTTYD, KFP, Madagascar and Trolls) as a Fantasyland-type area.

Or maybe do Illumination if they decide to replace DM/Shrek with a proper entrance area and GMR-style dark ride. Despicable Me, Minions, Sing and Pets are all urban enough to allow for a semi-realistic facade.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts