Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 192 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They would be stupid if they didn't get Nintendo stores in each City Walk.

It would be wiser to put Nintendo Store in the park instead of in Citywalk....people are cheap and petty.

I.E (Father and son scenario) Hey bobby you ready to go to Nintendo World at UOR? Yes dad! Cool son lets go. (Takes son to Universal goes in the store says he went to "Nintendoland" and then post about how Disney would do Nintendo better)

It would be wiser to put Nintendo Store in the park instead of in Citywalk....people are cheap and petty.

I.E (Father and son scenario) Hey bobby you ready to go to Nintendo World at UOR? Yes dad! Cool son lets go. (Takes son to Universal goes in the store says he went to "Nintendoland" and then post about how Disney would do Nintendo better)
I can't imagine that scenario actually playing out. I mean, when Star Wars Land opens would someone be cheap enough to just go to the store in Disney Springs? The fact that ads will show what the land actually is would prevent that as well.

Also, would it be feasible to put an "all things Nintendo" store in the park(s) like the one in New York? You know, the one that also sells their consoles and games and not just stuff like shirts and plush? Not to mention the pretty large demo area. That screams City Walk to me.

Reactions: tankart150
I can't imagine that scenario actually playing out. I mean, when Star Wars Land opens would someone be cheap enough to just go to the store in Disney Springs? The fact that ads will show what the land actually is would prevent that as well.

Also, would it be feasible to put an "all things Nintendo" store in the park(s) like the one in New York? You know, the one that also sells their consoles and games and not just stuff like shirts and plush? Not to mention the pretty large demo area. That screams City Walk to me.

It screams Park to me. You put a Nintendo Store in city walk people will use it as a older kid babysitter and Universal will get stuck with a problem they don't want. Teen kids with limited money sitting at the Nintendo Store playing demos all day long. At least if in the park forces them to buy annual passes. It also adds space for people to not be in line for rides etc and can be used as crowd control.

It screams Park to me. You put a Nintendo Store in city walk people will use it as a older kid babysitter and Universal will get stuck with a problem they don't want. Teen kids with limited money sitting at the Nintendo Store playing demos all day long. At least if in the park forces them to buy annual passes. It also adds space for people to not be in line for rides etc and can be used as crowd control.
There would still be themed stores in the parks. Something like this however belongs in an area like City Walk.
store-2.jpg

NewStoreInterior1.jpg

Also, they could always enforce time limits on demos if it ever becomes that much of a problem.

For game launches and tournaments, I think it would be better situated outside the park itself.

I mean outside the park those things are going to be a crowded nightmare anyway, I can't imagine seeing all these people trying to get a family photo in front of Princess Peach's Castle with Waluigi and Birdo but so many damn nerds are crowding the area trying to get a chance to play the new Smash Brothers game that they end up having to leave with nothing.

For game launches and tournaments, I think it would be better situated outside the park itself.

I mean outside the park those things are going to be a crowded nightmare anyway, I can't imagine seeing all these people trying to get a family photo in front of Princess Peach's Castle with Waluigi and Birdo but so many damn nerds are crowding the area trying to get a chance to play the new Smash Brothers game that they end up having to leave with nothing.
Comcast already has a Nintendo E-sport team and wouldn't use citywalk as the launch point when it makes more sense to have it at the hotels and charge for conference rooms like they already have done with their other E-sport tournaments last year at RPH.

I love Kirby but I have a hard time seeing him getting anything more than perhaps a US version of his cafe chain, and probably not even in the initial Nintendo installment.

I will be surprised to see anything outside the Mushroom Kingdom world represented in any way outside of merch.

Which is why it would be nice if this whole thing coincided with a Nintendo Orlando store like the one they have in New York City. Would be a great thing to have before the Nintendo section even opens actually.

I agree. Kirby seems too second-tier, so Mario, DK Country, Yoshi's Island, Zelda and Pokemon will get theme park attention before it.

For now, I'm only expecting
Mushroom Kingdom at USF (my guess at attractions: Mario Kart E-ticket, Yoshi's Island E-ticket, DK D-ticket, some sort of flat ride for Wario or Captain Toad, an M&G/show for Peach... it'd also be awesome to see a Camp Jurassic equivalent play area/walkthrough themed to the classic Super Mario Bros levels)

Pokemon at IOA replacing Toon Lagoon and that empty area by Spidey

Zelda in the eventual 4th gate as its own land

Animal Crossing, Metroid, Star Fox and Kirby possibly incorporated as stand-alone attractions in more broadly-focused areas of the eventual 4th gate and/or 5th gate (Animal Crossing/Kirby in woodland/meadow area, Star Fox/Metroid in sci-fi area)

Reactions: E.Gadd and Mike S
I agree. Kirby seems too second-tier, so Mario, DK Country, Yoshi's Island, Zelda and Pokemon will get theme park attention before it.

For now, I'm only expecting
Mushroom Kingdom at USF (my guess at attractions: Mario Kart E-ticket, Yoshi's Island E-ticket, DK D-ticket, some sort of flat ride for Wario or Captain Toad, an M&G/show for Peach... it'd also be awesome to see a Camp Jurassic equivalent play area/walkthrough themed to the classic Super Mario Bros levels)

Pokemon at IOA replacing Toon Lagoon and that empty area by Spidey

Zelda in the eventual 4th gate as its own land

Animal Crossing, Metroid, Star Fox and Kirby possibly incorporated as stand-alone attractions in more broadly-focused areas of the eventual 4th gate and/or 5th gate (Animal Crossing/Kirby in woodland/meadow area, Star Fox/Metroid in sci-fi area)
Which area?

No matter what happens with the new gate, Nintendo, Illuminations or Dreamworks will have to replace KidZone. The wise thing to do would be putting Dreamworks in KidZone and then add Nintendo in the new gate so that people have a reason to visit all parks. Nintendo can anchor the new resort and potter can anchor the current 2 parks. This just allows Universal to sell more multi-day tickets. "I WANNA GO SEE MARIO... BUT I WANNA SEE POTTER" If the new park were to have Potter, people would just go to the new park and forget about the current parks.

Reactions: chewbacca1995

This makes zero sense, why go into the parks when you can just go to the Wizarding part of the UOR shop? Come on man.

Nintendo doesn't really do retail. They have one store (NY) in the entire country. In Japan, Pokémon has a chain of 6 stores.

With universal looking to take full ownership of all retail I imagine Nintendo would be happy to lease out World stores under strict guidance and standards to UP&R.

Reactions: Mike S
Which area?
The carnival games/TL theater area that is technically part of Toon Lagoon, but hasn't had much of anything worthwhile or toon-related since 1999-2000.

I know SLoP is rumored to go there, but the possibilities with Nintendo and the DreamWorks acquistion has probably shifted around the locations of different proposals.

In the short term, a SLoP dark ride seems nice, but I'd think putting a Pokemon area where TL lies would be a better long-term plan. It gives Universal Creative a chance to start anew other than possibly repurposing Popeye/Me Ship the Olive. And Pokemon has proven to be a timeless franchise whereas Pets won't be remembered 15 or 20 years from now.

More importantly, it allows for an increase in park capacity since Dudley uses up a lot of space and that whole area next to Spidey is essentially empty. SLoP in TL pretty much forces the TL retheme to either be Illumination or an awkward hodgepodge of DreamWorks and Illumination.

The carnival games/TL theater area that is technically part of Toon Lagoon, but hasn't had much of anything worthwhile or toon-related since 1999-2000.

I know SLoP is rumored to go there, but the possibilities with Nintendo and the DreamWorks acquistion has probably shifted around the locations of different proposals.

In the short term, a SLoP dark ride seems nice, but I'd think putting a Pokemon area where TL lies would be a better long-term plan. It gives Universal Creative a chance to start anew other than possibly repurposing Popeye/Me Ship the Olive. And Pokemon has proven to be a timeless franchise whereas Pets won't be remembered 15 or 20 years from now.

More importantly, it allows for an increase in park capacity since Dudley uses up a lot of space and that whole area next to Spidey is essentially empty. SLoP in TL pretty much forces the TL retheme to either be Illumination or an awkward hodgepodge of DreamWorks and Illumination.
So all of TL?

You forget they own Dudley now and a whole bunch of classic toons. Pokemon going in Toon lagoon when Universal could easily just add He-man, Voltron, and other classic toons they own in that area is more feasible along with a revamp of Dudley which despite how much OU loves to complain about Dudley tends to always have long lines. Save Pokemon for new park.

Reactions: JPRA513 and Mike S