October 21st, 2015 (Back to the Future) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

October 21st, 2015 (Back to the Future)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Building a maglev coaster seems practically impossible. I can think of one way you could theoretically do it but it would be a death machine. As for a dark ride I don't see the point. It would be so expensive and the whole point of a maglev system is for speed and that wouldn't work in a dark ride. If they buy SeaWorld they could put a maglev in between the two and zip you there in no time flat but the distance is so short it would be pointless to build besides the cool factor.

Building a maglev coaster seems practically impossible. I can think of one way you could theoretically do it but it would be a death machine. As for a dark ride I don't see the point. It would be so expensive and the whole point of a maglev system is for speed and that wouldn't work in a dark ride. If they buy SeaWorld they could put a maglev in between the two and zip you there in no time flat but the distance is so short it would be pointless to build besides the cool factor.

If Uni bought Seaworld Parks it would include busch gardens tampa. Have a Maglev system from Orlando to Tampa.

I had no idea that it is actually being developed:

Unlike the human body, roller coaster technology today seems to have hardly any limits.

Electromagnets have recently overtaken cables as the must-have launch mechanisms. The magnet-launched rides use powerful linear-induction motors to generate a magnetic wave that propels the cars down the track.

As president of the coaster-design company Premier Rides, Jim Seay is at the forefront of electromagnetic coaster technology. The company used the technology in attractions like the two Revenge of the Mummy coasters, one at the Universal Studios Florida theme park in Orlando and one at Universal Studios Hollywood in California.

At the heart of these magnetic systems are linear-induction motors.

"The vehicles have very lightweight, high-conductivity [aluminum] fins on them. When those fins pass through the linear-induction motors, that's when we create the traveling magnetic wave, which propels the fins," Seay said.

"It's almost like the vehicle is surfing a traveling magnetic wave," Seay said.

According to Seay, the next generation of rides will enable the cars to magnetically levitate on the track—using the same maglev technology touted as the future of rail travel.

The result would be a completely frictionless ride, without any of the bumps and noise of traditional roller coasters.

Advances in propulsion are only the beginning.

Computer-aided design and precision manufacturing of steel mean rides can now go to heights of 500 feet (152 meters) or more and still remain within safety parameters, experts say.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/060524-coasters_2.html

Just give me self-lacing shoes to start with and I am quite happy. Ain't nobody got time for tying shoes.

I just hope Universal does SOMETHING....anything at all....to celebrate this. Just a facebook page mention won't do.

I just hope Universal does SOMETHING....anything at all....to celebrate this. Just a facebook page mention won't do.

Agreed, I'll be over on this date too, would be a lucky coincidence!

I had no idea that it is actually being developed:

Unlike the human body, roller coaster technology today seems to have hardly any limits.

Electromagnets have recently overtaken cables as the must-have launch mechanisms. The magnet-launched rides use powerful linear-induction motors to generate a magnetic wave that propels the cars down the track.

As president of the coaster-design company Premier Rides, Jim Seay is at the forefront of electromagnetic coaster technology. The company used the technology in attractions like the two Revenge of the Mummy coasters, one at the Universal Studios Florida theme park in Orlando and one at Universal Studios Hollywood in California.

At the heart of these magnetic systems are linear-induction motors.

"The vehicles have very lightweight, high-conductivity [aluminum] fins on them. When those fins pass through the linear-induction motors, that's when we create the traveling magnetic wave, which propels the fins," Seay said.

"It's almost like the vehicle is surfing a traveling magnetic wave," Seay said.

According to Seay, the next generation of rides will enable the cars to magnetically levitate on the track—using the same maglev technology touted as the future of rail travel.

The result would be a completely frictionless ride, without any of the bumps and noise of traditional roller coasters.

Advances in propulsion are only the beginning.

Computer-aided design and precision manufacturing of steel mean rides can now go to heights of 500 feet (152 meters) or more and still remain within safety parameters, experts say.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/060524-coasters_2.html

I figured since no one really paid much attention this I would insert my gratitude for the research and information! Highly educational and interesting indeed! :thumbs:

LSM (Linear Synchronous Motor) seems to be overtaking LIM as of lately. Intamin is using it on almost all of their new launched coasters and now B&M is using it on their new launch system. Mack has used it on their launch-coaster installations. Hell, even Premier used it on Full Throttle at SFMM and Sky Rocket at Kennywood in 2010.

Anyway, interesting information from Jim Seay. A maglev coaster would be mind-blowing! Would the state inspectors allow it though?

LSM (Linear Synchronous Motor) seems to be overtaking LIM as of lately. Intamin is using it on almost all of their new launched coasters and now B&M is using it on their new launch system. Mack has used it on their launch-coaster installations. Hell, even Premier used it on Full Throttle at SFMM and Sky Rocket at Kennywood in 2010.

Yeah, it must be cheaper and more reliable to operate. Sad too, as tires aren't as sexy as magnets.

Well mercy... what do they call the transport of Gringotts and the launches of Mummy and Hulk? Sorry, I don't eat acronyms for breakfast.

I believe Mummy and Gringotts use LSMs (Mummy may use LIMs). The difference between the I and S is Induction and Synchronous but I have no idea what that means lol. The Hulk uses a tire drive propulsion system that is unique and doesn't have a fancy acronym that I know of.

I believe Mummy and Gringotts use LSMs (Mummy may use LIMs). The difference between the I and S is Induction and Synchronous but I have no idea what that means lol. The Hulk uses a tire drive propulsion system that is unique and doesn't have a fancy acronym that I know of.

I believe it has been shown that Gringotts is entirely tire driven. Mummy is magnetic until the launch... and then it is tires from there. Let me know if I got this wrong.

Mummy is lsm for the slow stuff and lim for the launch.

I know this is Hollywood but all the same stuff. the boxes are the lsm and the slotted things on the side of the track are the lim and the cars have metal fins on them.
Revenge Of The Mummy (Night Vision POV) Roller Co…: http://youtu.be/shSLDSK5Bgc

Last edited:
I believe it has been shown that Gringotts is entirely tire driven. Mummy is magnetic until the launch... and then it is tires from there. Let me know if I got this wrong.

I dont know about Gringotts but Mummy is most definitely 100% magnets :thumbs:

I wish gringotts was magnets. Cause sometimes coming out of the Dragon scene and the launch can be a little jerky. Like someone driving stick for the first time.

Mummy is lsm for the slow stuff and lim for the launch.

I know this is Hollywood but all the same stuff. the boxes are the lsm and the slotted things on the side of the track are the lim and the cars have metal fins on them.
Revenge Of The Mummy (Night Vision POV) Roller Co…: http://youtu.be/shSLDSK5Bgc

Yep, LIM's use fins mounted to the train that slide between slots containing the electromagnets either in the middle of or on the sides of the track (Premier puts the LIM's on each side of the track--mounted just outside of the rails, whereas Intamin mounts the magnets in a single row right down the middle of the track). LSMs on the other hand generally have white fixed fins (stators) sticking up on the track with the magnetic "slots" being on the underside of the train.

LSMs (from my understanding) require a much more complicated control system (LIMs are pretty much "off/on" and "forward/backward") but they offer more capabilities over LIMs. LSMs can have controlled launch speeds, whereas LIMs launch only at full-power every time. Initial installation cost for the system is allegedly comparable to or slightly higher than LIMs, but LSMs feature launch strengths that are close to comparable to Intamin's Accelerator ("Rocket") coasters and are lower cost to operate...with a tenth of the maintenance requirements to its launch system vs an Accelerator's catapult. I believe LSMs top out around 100 mph, so the catapult systems on the Rockets and S&S Thrust Air coasters out there are required to take coasters to launch speeds greater than 100mph. That info came from a Cedar Point ride mechanic I know who works on both types of coaster (Maverick and Wicked Twister, as well as Top Thrill Dragster). LIM's are pretty much old tech at this point and are rarely used anymore.

The LSM's on Mummy are unique in that their stators lie parallel with the track, as opposed to sticking upwards perpendicularly.