Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 127 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news is that he was stupid enough to show his face on camera. Buh-Bye Annual Pass!
Thing is, you don't need an annual pass to fly a drone over a park. Say for instance at Uni and the parking garage. You don't need to pay to get in... if you go in on foot or by bike. I've done this many times when I lived nearby.

And it's easy to get into pretty much every WDW parking lot without a pass (or just paying) simply by monorail (MK and Epcot) or by going to the boardwalk and taking the boat to DHS for theirs. DAK is the only one that doesn't have a way to get in without paying. So that may cut down on Avatarland drone videos.

Last edited:
Thing is, you don't need an annual pass to fly a drone over a park. Say for instance at Uni and the parking garage. You don't need to pay to get in... if you go in on foot or by bike. I've done this many times when I lived nearby.

And it's easy to get into pretty much every WDW parking lot without a pass (or just paying) simply by monorail (MK and Epcot) or by going to the boardwalk and taking the boat to DHS for theirs. DAK is the only one that doesn't have a way to get in without paying. So that may cut down on Avatarland drone videos.

Right, I was merely referring to immediate consequences. There will be further consequences I predict. There is a point where it becomes trespassing, dangerously so.

Playing devils advocate here but how different is it from flying a helicopter or plane over the park. Sure there is an AA license involved but if there was a mechanical failure there is only so much that can be done.

Playing devils advocate here but how different is it from flying a helicopter or plane over the park. Sure there is an AA license involved but if there was a mechanical failure there is only so much that can be done.
I was thinking of the same thing, but planes/helicopters are much more controlled. These things are free flying, being controlled from long distances away and flying over guest areas.

A malfunction or a miscalculation in flying (say the drone flew into the crane that's on the Avatar site or it malfunctioned over the parking lot) and someone could be seriously injured.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, I was merely referring to immediate consequences. There will be further consequences I predict. There is a point where it becomes trespassing, dangerously so.
Oh, this guy is surely on TDO and Uni's radar. It's only a matter of time before the gig is up if he continues.

Get what your saying, but I think choppers have permission otherwise they wouldn't.

Pilots fly choppers, these guys have had right and proper training along with 100s of hours flying experience. They are also inside the vehicle so have a proper view of the immediate area and the surroundings, not from 100s of feet away through nothing more than a cam. Currently a drone can be picked up by anyone in a store and they can be flying it over populated areas immediately, if these things stay unregulated it will only be a matter of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit to add more.

Choppas are also required to fly at a certain height which is well above buildings, cranes, trees and coasters, thus not likely to hit such obstacles.

Guys! Come on. Camera Drones are mostly made of Styrofoam with a little plastic weighing a pound or two. It's not gonna cause any damage. Some people post just to post. And that drone video was taken from a place that is more than a football field away from guests. And even if it fell out of the sky at that height onto you it would feel like an empty plastic bottle hitting you causing no damage. CAN WE MOVE ON NOW!!!!

Guys! Come on. Camera Drones are mostly made of Styrofoam with a little plastic weighing a pound or two. It's not gonna cause any damage. Some people post just to post. And that drone video was taken from a place that is more than a football field away from guests. And even if it fell out of the sky at that height onto you it would feel like an empty plastic bottle hitting you causing no damage. CAN WE MOVE ON NOW!!!!

Really!

Did you not see his video where he flew over the Universal entrance just a few hundred feet above guests heads? If you drop a stone from a height on someones head its gonna hurt (much lighter than your underestimated "a pound or two") The camera alone would be heavy enough to cause harm. Besides the weight theae things carry fuel too and have propellers , Spin it any way you wish but I still deem flying drones over populated places without a license as irresponsible and UNSAFE.

Last edited:

Fully rigged, 2.7 pounds to be precise, hard plastic composite. Would you offer to lay out by the pool and allow me to drop that weight with spinning blades on your face from 200 feet?

I assume your answer would be 'yes'...

big mistake.

why? the movie made a gazillion dollars and the next three will too

The next one is going head to head with Star Wars episode 8. The first is virtually irrelevant in popular culture now. Add 3 years onto that and it's even more irrelevant.

It ain't making nearly as much, and now the land is opening without any of the sequels leading into it.

I commend you for your Avatar super fandom, but even you have to see this isn't the home run they were hoping for when they brought Avatar in.

The next one is going head to head with Star Wars episode 8. The first is virtually irrelevant in popular culture now. Add 3 years onto that and it's even more irrelevant.

It ain't making nearly as much, and now the land is opening without any of the sequels leading into it.

I commend you for your Avatar super fandom, but even you have to see this isn't the home run they were hoping for when they brought Avatar in.

no super fandom here so there's no reason to commend, in fact i never saw the movie in the theater
did the article give a release date or are you assuming the same time as star wars?
also you re betting against Cameron is interesting
my comments on avatar has always been about the land and the potential of the land
would you like to make a wager this movie does 1.3 billion?

did the article give a release date or are you assuming the same time as star wars?
also you re betting against Cameron is interesting

Article says the release will be Christmas 2017, which is when SW8 is due.

I'm not betting against Cameron. I'm just not betting against Star Wars. Because in the case of Avatar vs Star Wars, Star Wars is going to win every time.

I'm still not saying the land will be bad, but this certainly doesn't help Disney's hype machine going into it.

Article says the release will be Christmas 2017, which is when SW8 is due.

I'm not betting against Cameron. I'm just not betting against Star Wars. Because in the case of Avatar vs Star Wars, Star Wars is going to win every time.

I'm still not saying the land will be bad, but this certainly doesn't help Disney's hype machine going into it.
so no wager then?
why does one have to be a winner cant both do well

oh and i agree bobby iger is big on synergy and this may not help

why does one have to be a winner cant both do well

If they come out within weeks of one another, Avatar stands to lose a lot more than Star Wars. People will choose to see SW over Avatar, that's a simple decision for most.

And no, no wager. Because without knowing what the foreign release schedule is it's flying blind. As long as Avatar isn't going day and date with Star Wars around the world it will most likely do very well at the foreign box office. However, as lone as it's opening near SW8 in the US, its domestic gross will be in peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.