Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 238 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's going to be less "like the Pirates ride in Shanghai" and more "happens to use the same tech from the Pirates ride in Shanghai".

Less animatronics, and a different tone from the action and adventure of Pirates of the Caribbean. No drops either, right? I'd love for whatever the Pandora equivalent of that backwards drop scene in Shanghai to be on the ride.

Reactions: Quint
I think it's going to be less "like the Pirates ride in Shanghai" and more "happens to use the same tech from the Pirates ride in Shanghai".

Less animatronics, and a different tone from the action and adventure of Pirates of the Caribbean. No drops either, right? I'd love for whatever the Pandora equivalent of that backwards drop scene in Shanghai to be on the ride.
More Living With the Land, but with projections?

So someone said cloned layout which seems impossible given the building is smaller right? The ride is going to be top knotch if it is a clone.

Got an update that the boat ride is complete at this point (or nearly so) and got confirmation that yes, it is all screens with the one animatronic (and that's it), and is basically a copy of the Shanghai Pirates with screens showing Pandora instead of under water.
So not really a copy then?

Same ride system and projection tech that they used very successfully in Shanghai. Smaller scope and scale than PotC: Shanghai but should still be an impressive attraction.

With every attraction there could have been "more". Sometimes complaining about it is justified as with the 7DMT. Others not so much, such as Kong. Yes it could have been "more", but what they delivered is still a great attraction.

We will have to wait and see if WDI include enough WOW factor to give a satisfactory experience. I believe they will.

Last edited:
Same ride system and projection tech that they used very successfully in Shanghai. Smaller scope and scale than PotC: Shanghai but should still be an impressive attraction.

With every attraction there could have been "more". Sometimes complaining about it is justified as with the 7DMT. Others not so much, such as Kong. Yes it could have been "more", but what they delivered is still a great attraction.

We will have to wait and see if WDI include enough WOW factor to give a satisfactory experience. I believe they will.

I think it will be a great attraction but unless it's going to be one of the all time greats, people are going to wonder why it cost so much and took so long.

I think it will be a great attraction but unless it's going to be one of the all time greats, people are going to wonder why it cost so much and took so long.
Technically, if we are talking about build time, this was only a year longer (or slightly less) than Diagon. With complete respect to Diagon, a lot had to go into making the mountains even possible.

The issue here (for the people that know about it), is the cost overruns. By 100% of the original target budget.

Reactions: Joel and Scott W.
Most people will have no idea how much it cost or how long it took. And after they walk into the land, they won't care.

I forget some times that not every visitor is as obsessed as people on forums. I don't think the average person will know cost but I think they will know how long it's taken. Announcements are quickly spread through social media and although not necessary Disney's fault, it does seem like this was announced a long time ago and people have noticed.

This could be a UK thing but it's certainly changed days with knowing what to expect visiting Orlando. I vividly remember the early 90s before I had the internet, the first indicator of a new ride was when your Disney planning VHS tape arrived in the mail and even then you were only told about new rides, maybe 6 months in advance.

Reactions: Joel
This could be a UK thing but it's certainly changed days with knowing what to expect visiting Orlando. I vividly remember the early 90s before I had the internet, the first indicator of a new ride was when your Disney planning VHS tape arrived in the mail and even then you were only told about new rides, maybe 6 months in advance.
I know Disney wasn't run as crappy as today back in the 80's and 90's, but I do often think that not having things like Twitter or any social media is why people remember those times so fondly. The parks were better back then (Epcot being a prime example) don't get me wrong, but social media does taint how we think about these projects. Rather than it just opening and enjoying it, we scrutinize it for years before opening to the point where (at least with Disney), we're almost surprised if/when they succeed.

Reactions: Scott W.
I know Disney wasn't run as crappy as today back in the 80's and 90's, but I do often think that not having things like Twitter or any social media is why people remember those times so fondly. The parks were better back then (Epcot being a prime example) don't get me wrong, but social media does taint how we think about these projects. Rather than it just opening and enjoying it, we scrutinize it for years before opening to the point where (at least with Disney), we're almost surprised if/when they succeed.

I've often thought this too. I think nostalgia makes everything feel better than it was. There's going to be a group of people in 20 years saying the exact same thing.

The internet has changed things no doubt though. There is far less transparency and now people from thousands of miles away can track a ride's development.

Reactions: Nick

agreed
im actually glad this land is being somewhat under valued. Seems like Disney over hypes everything they do, maybe this property will exceed expectations. Under promise over deliver scenario

I think that teaser video from D23 was a perfect example of "overhype" for this. Yes it's impressive to see that animatronic, but most people would assume there was more to it than that. It's one animatronic that you will see for less than a minute.

I think that teaser video from D23 was a perfect example of "overhype" for this. Yes it's impressive to see that animatronic, but most people would assume there was more to it than that. It's one animatronic that you will see for less than a minute.
Anything that is happening right now is only overhyped to fans (if you even take it that way).

Most of the GP doesn't even know an Avatar land is happening.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Also speaks volumes about their confidence in their own abilities...

I'm hopeful that it is more about them getting back to caring about show, back in he day they would never operate a ride with a show scene missing an element . Nor would the ride be down for very long, someone would be on hand to replace or repair and get the ride back up and running in no time.

Caveat, I did say hopeful right at the beginning of this post.

I'm hopeful that it is more about them getting back to caring about show, back in he day they would never operate a ride with a show scene missing an element . Nor would the ride be down for very long, someone would be on hand to replace or repair and get the ride back up and running in no time.

Caveat, I did say hopeful right at the beginning of this post.
It would also be foolish of them to think that the AA will work perfectly 100% of the time. So having a backup is actually very smart.

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Status
Not open for further replies.