Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 239 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that is happening right now is only overhyped to fans (if you even take it that way).

Most of the GP doesn't even know an Avatar land is happening.
Yes, I would agree with that. The GP that lives outside of Florida has a much more simplified and way less knowledgeable concept of what's going on. I have yet to run into anyone in the GP that has any understanding of the things we discuss on this forum or even Magic's forum. Of course, for those who live in Florida, especially AP holders, there's a higher theme park intelligence quotient than that of out of state visitors. So we need to keep that in mind when discussing causal effects.

Reactions: Nick
Price of a project is a meta narrative in the industry. When projects costs a lot you can't add them frequently and Universal has shown additions what drive attendance and profit. Guests care when they visit there's one new experience versus two or three.

Price of a project is a meta narrative in the industry. When projects costs a lot you can't add them frequently and Universal has shown additions what drive attendance and profit. Guests care when they visit there's one new experience versus two or three.
I understand what you are saying and Universal certainly adds a lot of big additions frequently. However, you have to remember who Disney's main base is. Disney's main base is the type of people who get made that they replaced "Dream Along with Mickey" with "Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire". Disney's base is the type who comes out specifically to see the Muppets in Liberty Square. Disney's Base is the type to spend money on upcharge events. Disney's base is the type that loves Frozen Ever After and will love everything about Soarin 2.0. Disney's base loves themed sidewalks. Disney's base thinks Drones are cool. Disney's base loves rat pizza.

Everything I mentioned is a new addition at Disney this year somewhere on their property. So while Kong and Hulk were big things this year, WDW is still able to combat that with a lot of little things bc their base is filled with pixie dusters.

Reactions: UNIrd
To put in a void without IP to make the comparisons more realistic..

Disney added: Puppets singing, a new boat ride, a new show for a beloved ride, and themed sidewalks.

Universal added: A ride marketed as terrifying (though it's really not) with big scary monsters, and rebuilt a beloved roller coaster, and they also have themed sidewalks.

There's a big distinction in the group's that's going to appeal to. Height requirements alone take a lot of people out of the hype-pool for Hulk and Kong.

The "will ride thrill rides" 20-30's demographic is lucrative when they buy things. Case in point, Forbidden Journey. That ride is more intense than most rides and has a reputation for it, but it anchors a whole brand that has lots of things to buy.

Kong has a cart. A stupid cart with stupid things no one really wants. Hulk does not sell merch the way Spiderman does. Note how neither Hulk nor Kong has its own real themed store.

So on a base level before the IP gets involved Hulk and Kong are two very shallow experiences with very limited reach. We've chatted before about rides taking XYZ of a total park population - and people are often surprised what the top performers are.

The top performers are never roller coasters or thrill rides, because they self-limit who is willing to ride them. FJ is a rarity because people are willing to happily just walk through the line to see it. The other 99% of rides don't have that going for them (and FJ doesn't even count those people in its daily totals - though it's constant through the day.)

Reactions: alomar
To put in a void without IP to make the comparisons more realistic..
I understand I was being overly dramatic in the comparison. You make my point much better. Kong and Hulk are great, but at least for DISNEY'S audience, everything they've added this year, which, has mostly been just overlays or new entertainment, is what pleases guests the most.

The little things when you are walking from attraction to attraction actually do make a difference in many people's experience.

But also the core offering.

A boat ride will do well. They also have decent capacity so it's likely the boat ride at Pandora will rate better, have a shorter line, and see more guests in a day than the marquee attraction.

But also the core offering.

A boat ride will do well. They also have decent capacity so it's likely the boat ride at Pandora will rate better, have a shorter line, and see more guests in a day than the marquee attraction.
That's even debatable about the marquee attraction though. FoP is going to have 4 theatres. Since Soarin' has opened the 3rd theatre, the wait times have greatly diminished.

That's even debatable about the marquee attraction though. FoP is going to have 4 theatres. Since Soarin' has opened the 3rd theatre, the wait times have greatly diminished.

Then depending on the quality and thrill level it might be even less popular akin to M:S. lots of capacity, very little interest.

SeaWorld stopped running the terrible penguin ride daily and just let people walk to the enclosure. They only open it when it is needed for capacity.

Then depending on the quality and thrill level it might be even less popular akin to M:S. lots of capacity, very little interest.

SeaWorld stopped running the terrible penguin ride daily and just let people walk to the enclosure. They only open it when it is needed for capacity.
Well if it gets slow at FoP, I can see them just shutting down a theatre or 2 if it's not needed. Especially if DAK at night never takes off.

Sadly there's a far higher likelihood of that happening than not.
I mean, there's cuts and then there's common sense savings. If a ride has a 5-20 minute wait, there's clearly no need for all theatres running.

Sort of similar to how Star Tours almost never runs all 6 bays yet still tends to have a pretty short wait time.

Not sure why, you at least have to give it a chance.

Of course I will give it a chance. It's just that the idea of the bulk of the Pandora environment and wildlife in the ride being simulated is not nearly as exciting or impressive to me as if Disney had decided to build that stuff (as much as possible) practically. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. I'm open to that possibility.

Reactions: UK-Trigg
I think the question is, will a large portion of people worldwide, stop everything they're doing and book a must do Disney Vacation because of Pandora or will AK's increased attendance just come at the expense of Stuidos and Epcot within the normal planned vacation?

Harry Potter and to a lesser extent Kong have had impacts to overall resort profits, whereas I don't believe Pandora, with its enormous budget, will impact the bottom line much at all.

I think the question is, will a large portion of people worldwide, stop everything they're doing and book a must do Disney Vacation because of Pandora or will AK's increased attendance just come at the expense of Stuidos and Epcot within the normal planned vacation?

Harry Potter and to a lesser extent Kong have had impacts to overall resort profits, whereas I don't believe Pandora, with its enormous budget, will impact the bottom line much at all.
This is what my last post was about
Low expectations by some could produce a very good guest experience

The increase in attendance at DAK will almost surely come at the expense of DHS. Epcot will likely be fine because festivals and food and stuff. We'll have to see once they really start pushing Avatar how the response is. It does seem to get covered by mainstream entertainment outlets anytime even the smallest bit of info comes out about it so this land certainly won't open to silence. Will the people be there though is the question.

Also, I don't want to get into it much bc it's OT, but Kong/Potter had much larger gains on overall Resort profits because, there's a lot less at Universal to generate revenue than the entire WDW Resort. What with 6 Parks, 25+ hotels, 100+ restaurants, etc, attractioins/merch don't make as big of a dent in the numbers as they do at Uni. That's not to make an excuse because Kong and especially Potter have done great things for the resort, but it's just fact.

The increase in attendance at DAK will almost surely come at the expense of DHS. Epcot will likely be fine because festivals and food and stuff. We'll have to see once they really start pushing Avatar how the response is. It does seem to get covered by mainstream entertainment outlets anytime even the smallest bit of info comes out about it so this land certainly won't open to silence. Will the people be there though is the question.

Also, I don't want to get into it much bc it's OT, but Kong/Potter had much larger gains on overall Resort profits because, there's a lot less at Universal to generate revenue than the entire WDW Resort. What with 6 Parks, 25+ hotels, 100+ restaurants, etc, attractioins/merch don't make as big of a dent in the numbers as they do at Uni. That's not to make an excuse because Kong and especially Potter have done great things for the resort, but it's just fact.

Well, also cuz Potter. We can't just discount that the IP itself had an enormous impact.

Well, also cuz Potter. We can't just discount that the IP itself had an enormous impact.
I feel like I mentioned that (or at least meant to if I didn't).

I also won't deny AVATAR is a weak IP if you are trying to bring in an outside crowd that wouldn't normally come to your park. That's why I said DAK will cannibalize from DHS.

I feel like I mentioned that (or at least meant to if I didn't).

I also won't deny AVATAR is a weak IP if you are trying to bring in an outside crowd that wouldn't normally come to your park. That's why I said DAK will cannibalize from DHS.
again this is what i mean
i dont see how WDW doesnt gain attendance from this
Crappy NFL gave MK a 6% bump

Status
Not open for further replies.