Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 260 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a rumor back in the day that Avatar was coming to Universal (replacing T2) and it wasn't met with great excitement. Granted this was before Potter showed what they can really do when they try - so the point is moot.

I know we keep circling to this but......... not all IP's can be rides/lands; just like all great rides/lands doesn't need to come from a Top 10 IP.

I think the argument is fair to be made by critics of it's drawing power - especially for spending 1 billion. I hope we can move on to better debates than just "yea, but if Universal".

The biggest problem with this IP is that Cameron didn't strike while the iron was hot. They should be on to the 4th movie by now. If they would have, and each would have done over $1b worldwide, this land would be a no brainer. Hell when this was greenlit, they were saying a 2017 opening for the 2nd movie which would have been made great co-promoting. If they are able to get the series moving again and do even half the numbers the first movie did, it'll work out fine. It'll help with international visitors as well as this was bigger overseas than it was here. Especially China.

But as to the Uni vs Dis argument, there is a lot of Dis hate here. Not by all, but it's prevalent. Some of its fair, and some isn't. I still say that if they were building this identical land in a Uni park, there would be a whole different attitude about it.

The biggest problem with this IP is that Cameron didn't strike while the iron was hot. They should be on to the 4th movie by now. If they would have, and each would have done over $1b worldwide, this land would be a no brainer. Hell when this was greenlit, they were saying a 2017 opening for the 2nd movie which would have been made great co-promoting. If they are able to get the series moving again and do even half the numbers the first movie did, it'll work out fine. It'll help with international visitors as well as this was bigger overseas than it was here. Especially China.

But as to the Uni vs Dis argument, there is a lot of Dis hate here. Not by all, but it's prevalent. Some of its fair, and some isn't. I still say that if they were building this identical land in a Uni park, there would be a whole different attitude about it.
agreed

So yea, Avatar is one of my favorite films of all time. I saw it 5 times in IMAX 3D. I'm one of those people. I own 3 versions of it on Blu-ray, because they released it several times with different special features each time, including one with an extra half hour added (and that's my favorite version.)

I have the original Blu-Ray and the Panasonic 3D version you had to jump through hoops to get. I haven't seen the extended version but I would buy it immediately if there was a 3D one.

Jon Landau (Avatar Producer) was on the NFL red carpet for the Superbowl and promoted Avatar land during his interview with Conner Manning.

There does to be a lot of excitement over it. It also has a huge draw since it got approved for Avatar 2-5 already. I think it's an interesting gamble since Avatar 5 is coming in like 2025. So there's a long time for Pandora to be experienced while the in production to bring in more interest also.

Let's not circle back to this same discussion about the current irrelevance of Avatar. We all know it. But theme park attractions ARE a way to breathe life into franchises and they can be marketing tools for films too. It's not strictly vice versa.

I could talk about how irrelevant Avatar is until I'm blue in the face. :cool:

I could talk about how irrelevant Avatar is until I'm blue in the face. :cool:
While I do agree it's fairly irrelevant as a movie franchise until Cameron actually decides to make any sequels, I'll admit I watch the blu-ray probably 2-3 times a year still. I actually do really like the movie.

name the characters on Dinosaur, Everest, the Safari
this park is not really about characters its about the places and environments
as Joe R says its a first person park, the adventure is your

EDIT: this debate is old, onward to a great May with Avatar and Volcano Bay!

They could have done an Australian section with a replica of the big red rock as a dark ride attraction and most would have been just as happy. Cameron and his polysci-fy piece was unnecessary.

Reactions: SeventyOne

I'm really looking forward to this land and I don't know if Avatar sequels will have the legs. I've always stated that Avatar felt different. With the visuals, the Cameron name, his first movie since Titanic, the 3D... it attracted a ton of attention besides "Hey, this looks like a good story".

Of course, I'm not saying it's going to flop either.

Disagree. While some nitpick and have outlandish opinions, I think there is a high amount that call it like it is. We're getting a billion dollar F&F franchise and Uni fans are moaning about what we're getting.

I for one am excited. And strange as it may be, I am a theme park enthusiast, and I absolutely love Avatar. Seems like those two things rarely overlap on the venn diagram of people chatting on theme park forums these days.

So yea, Avatar is one of my favorite films of all time. I saw it 5 times in IMAX 3D. I'm one of those people. I own 3 versions of it on Blu-ray, because they released it several times with different special features each time, including one with an extra half hour added (and that's my favorite version.)

Not everyone loves Avatar. But super fans like me might pick up the slack. I'm sure those crazy people that paint themselves blue for comic con and wanted to visit Pandora so bad they wished they dead (really hope those news stories were exaggerating,) those are the people that will travel across the world to visit this new land Harry Potter land style.

In either case, we're getting a new Disney dark boat ride, people. It should all be worth it for that!

While I don't share your enthusiasm for the movie, I'm in the same boat as you. As far as I'm concerned, it's something new and simply put, that's good and exactly what's needed for the park.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.