Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 269 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could just not read about it...
I'll do my best. I may have to ignore this thread at a certain point if stuff like that starts coming out.

Just like Hogsmeade, Carsland, and Diagon, I want to go in with very little knowledge of the actual details of the land.

Universal couldn't quantify Harry Potter, kong, Spider-Man, or transformers. They can now.

Disney couldn't quantify splash mountain, Everest, or mission:space. They can now.

No one can specifically quantify anything beforehand. All they can do is run analytics and make qualified guesses and estimates. They did that. Will it work out? Maybe. But you can't quantify anything until it has already been done.
It's no different than drafting someone in the first round of the NFL- you scout and analyze and he might seem great, but he isn't. And it might be a reach and he's a hall of famer. But you don't know until the dust settles.
And I'm with @Next Big Thing

Last thing I'll say is yes they can quantify theses additions, that's why they plan and do proposals. That's the whole point of due diligence and market research.

Anyway I'll drop it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Reportedly with Avatar Disney just started pulling stuff out of random foreign locations to build the land. I bet if there was one Avatar ride in an overall mythical/fantasy animals land there would be little issues or worried.
Exactly

I loved Avatar, but I can only remember Jake and Neytiri. I can't remember the villain's name, or any of the supporting heroes....
Governor Ratcliffe was the villain and I believe the Sigourney Weaver played the scientist lady...

Here is a picture of her in real life for reference:
photo.php

There was also Leonardo DiCaprio as on of the Ninja Turtles and Kate Winslet reprising her role as an ice burg

That's all I remember

They cannot quantify interest in the property. The point I made still stands, at this point Disney is stuck in a bad situation and a poor choice.
Exactly...Again, nobody is arguing that this land will be ugly or bad...it's just pointless

Universal couldn't quantify Harry Potter, Kong, Spider-Man, or Transformers. They can now.
You're right, who knew all these properties with established universes and fan bases would do well..

I was trying to convince my brother to take a trip with me to see Pandora (He's not a theme park person). I told him, "you can experience something for $115 that costed a BILLION dollars to build". That sold it. Lmao

I believe Avatar will pull in MAJOR crowds to Animal Kindom but only at DHS expense. With that being said I do not think they will see record breaking numbers or more importantly double digit gains in guest spending.

I think Avatar taught Disney brass a lot. The main thing being you cannot spread projects out for as long as they have in the past. They got bit in the ass on this one and I believe current projects are a testament to Disney's new thinking. They're looking at the synergy Universal is taking advantage of by utilizing current properties at their highpoint and creating experiences in a timely manner.

Guardians opening in California, Star Wars on both coasts, Frozen in Asia, and Toy Story Land all open either at the same time as their movie counterparts release or or within a close window that will have a positive impact on the following fiscal year.

I'm also jumping to conclusions that this is why Staggs is gone. He missed the boat completely on the points I listed above. He didn't take advantage of any hot properties at key times and bet a billion dollars on a property that hasn't been relevant in 8 years. Also Shanghai but you get the point.

Anyways when it's all said and done for us themepark dorks we all win. Avatar will set a new bar in overall themepark atmosphere and imo will take the crown away from Diagon Alley in terms of theming. I'll hold off judgement about the rides, food, and shops but strictly in terms of theming I cannot see Diagon continuing it's reign as the best themed land in a themepark.

Last edited:
The rocks on sticks still look silly, but they also appear to have been painted out to a faded color as of being redone or they're being set way in he distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.