Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 270 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rocks on sticks still look silly, but they also appear to have been painted out to a faded color as of being redone or they're being set way in he distance.

The ones further away are this grayish blue color. I'm sure the sticks themselves are not going to be visable. If they are, you won't even be able to make them out because they are covered them with vines.

The ones further away are this grayish blue color. I'm sure the sticks themselves are not going to be visable. If they are, you won't even be able to make them out because they are covered them with vines.

Well that's what I meant - those used to be stone and greenery like the near rocks. Just little and on sticks.

And the sticks are still just as visible.

Yea, I think the sticks will be blocked by foreground items. The point being that they create illusion of depth/going on forever because they move separately in your field of view from the foreground as you navigate around. We may only see the tops of some of the "tiny" ones on top of the building when in the land.

Yea, I think the sticks will be blocked by foreground items. The point being that they create illusion of depth/going on forever because they move separately in your field of view from the foreground as you navigate around. We may only see the tops of some of the "tiny" ones on top of the building when in the land.

The problem being that they're visible outside the land..

That's my biggest problem with AK in general is for all the care they take in hiding the fences for the animal enclosures, you still see the show building under Everest and can see the back of the main rockwork and those floating islands from the park entrance. I'm sure like Everest it will look fine from inside, but it just seems sloppy to have it so visible from outside like that.

Reactions: epcyclopedia
Besides consider all guest area sightlines before they build it?

Which they should have learned from Everest?

You won't be able to see the sticks from the bus stop or entrance. From inside the land I'm sure it'll look fine (hogwarts showbuilding, dragon seen from transformers, dueling dragons seen from inside the hogsmead train station, hogwarts seen from jurassic park... ?)

It doesn't bother me seeing the "sticks" hundreads of feet away, from outside the park. There's nothing they could've done.

Last edited:
Besides consider all guest area sightlines before they build it?

Which they should have learned from Everest?
I tell you what, Pandora is absolutely completely hidden from all park areas within the park, until you actually start walking toward it down the pathway by Tiffins. The fact that it's completely hidden from Africa, Discovery Island, and even the Oasis pathway after you enter the park is incredible.

The tops of the floating mountains are visible from the turnstiles and Rainforest Cafe, but that's it. And I think that's nice, because it creates excitement when entering the park.

Well let the record show they were installed, painted normal - looked ridiculous - and then painted this blue gray haze over them in an attempt to hide them.

Pretty much what they did with the Kong backdrop. I was up in the tower as they changed it to the misty thing that fades that we have today. It is amazing what I saw West do when he was saying "a little over there, two grids to the right etc." His art directors (sorry I don't remember what their tags said) spent many long hours up there directing the painter what to do and where after the base was painted.

I think this is part of the process where an artist steps back and surveys the work then makes changes as needed.

I agree with the others, let them finish then we can see what they have done

I believe Avatar will pull in MAJOR crowds to Animal Kindom but only at DHS expense. With that being said I do not think they will see record breaking numbers or more importantly double digit gains in guest spending.

I think Avatar taught Disney brass a lot. The main thing being you cannot spread projects out for as long as they have in the past. They got bit in the ass on this one and I believe current projects are a testament to Disney's new thinking. They're looking at the synergy Universal is taking advantage of by utilizing current properties at their highpoint and creating experiences in a timely manner.

Guardians opening in California, Star Wars on both coasts, Frozen in Asia, and Toy Story Land all open either at the same time as their movie counterparts release or or within a close window that will have a positive impact on the following fiscal year.

I'm also jumping to conclusions that this is why Staggs is gone. He missed the boat completely on the points I listed above. He didn't take advantage of any hot properties at key times and bet a billion dollars on a property that hasn't been relevant in 8 years. Also Shanghai but you get the point.

Anyways when it's all said and done for us themepark dorks we all win. Avatar will set a new bar in overall themepark atmosphere and imo will take the crown away from Diagon Alley in terms of theming. I'll hold off judgement about the rides, food, and shops but strictly in terms of theming I cannot see Diagon continuing it's reign as the best themed land in a themepark.
Does DHS honestly have many more people to pick off from though? The place is always a ghost town. I did ToT, RNRC and walked onto TSMM the other night as well as saw the fireworks all within an hour of walking in the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.