Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is exactly right. The Cars movies are NOT the most sucessful Pixar films in the box office, however they do sell more Cars merchandise then any other Pixar film including Toy Story...which is so hard to believe.

It's the same reason Pooh was made into a ride, they sell a crap load of Pooh stuff..to all ages.

Avatar does not have nearly the same kind of brand appeal, mainly because the characters are kind of ugly. There isn't a huge demand for Avatar merchandise.

Honestly, I feel the only place that this can go is Animal Kingdom.

Would it be BETTER to put it into DHS? Maybe. But from what I've been reading all over the place, Animal Kingdom is struggling as it is. Honestly, if I were Disney, I would've waited to see how Avatar 2 does, but I guess they're kinda building around the original and praying to the Disney Gods that Avatar 2 doesn't suck.

Having said that, there isn't a huge demand for Avatar merchandise because, honestly, I haven't SEEN much in the way of Avatar merchandise. I'm fairly certain before they bought up the rights they spoke to whoever was in charge and asked about what kind of merchandise of what they DID put out was popular, and what else MIGHT be worth looking into to make merchandise for.

But frankly, I'm not gonna hold my breath on the Avatar land. Unless they do something ride-like that lets you be an Avatar yourself, I don't see just being part of the environment being as big of a draw as it should be. That's just me, anyway.

Honestly, I feel the only place that this can go is Animal Kingdom.

Would it be BETTER to put it into DHS? Maybe. But from what I've been reading all over the place, Animal Kingdom is struggling as it is. Honestly, if I were Disney, I would've waited to see how Avatar 2 does, but I guess they're kinda building around the original and praying to the Disney Gods that Avatar 2 doesn't suck.

Having said that, there isn't a huge demand for Avatar merchandise because, honestly, I haven't SEEN much in the way of Avatar merchandise. I'm fairly certain before they bought up the rights they spoke to whoever was in charge and asked about what kind of merchandise of what they DID put out was popular, and what else MIGHT be worth looking into to make merchandise for.

But frankly, I'm not gonna hold my breath on the Avatar land. Unless they do something ride-like that lets you be an Avatar yourself, I don't see just being part of the environment being as big of a draw as it should be. That's just me, anyway.

DAK really isn't struggling though. It has the highest rated parade at WDW, highest rated show at WDW, and was the only park to rise in attendance last year. It's struggling in terms of impressing forum-goers and die hard thee park enthusiasts with Disco Yeti and early closings each night, if that's what you meant. Otherwise, it's been pulling its weight.

Personally I would rather have something original thats different from what you can find on the west coast.

^ The only thing Disney can really combat Potter with is a Star Wars land.

Has Star Tours 2.0 done any big business for DHS? I heard the wait times are way back down already.

Has Star Tours 2.0 done any big business for DHS? I heard the wait times are way back down already.

Well, it's a lot like Potter. Walk-in on slow days, line on busy days. Star Wars sells a lot of merch, though it's hard to say how much is due to the revamp. I see a healthy number of "I am da rebel spy" shirts, so I guess that's a good sign.

Well, it's a lot like Potter. Walk-in on slow days, line on busy days. Star Wars sells a lot of merch, though it's hard to say how much is due to the revamp. I see a healthy number of "I am da rebel spy" shirts, so I guess that's a good sign.

I find it interesting to see the lines often as short as they are even on the busiest of times, like Star Wars Weekends and peak Summer/Holiday seasons to be honest. I mean it is certainly not dead quiet. It gets its hour plus waits every now and then but with the ride having all the multiple scenarios and fanbase it never gets a huge wait. Not to steal the subject away but I think that is the issue with these kinds of touts of re-rideability. Not many want to risk or invest spending that much time of day going back on the same ride over and over even if the film or experience will be slightly altered every time.(if they are in fact aware of it)

This is why I take a great single experience of a dark ride in this case of comparison over a simulator with many different scenarios(as great of a simulator as it really) any day.

All that aside yes Star Wars is the only known franchise that could ever compete and top Potter in terms of merch sales and fanbase in a year round theme park setting if given the oppertunity. The problem is, is that Disney has the rights to and has still never given the movie its proper sized credit in their theme park world as far as attraction experiences. One attraction and an event. At this rate that is all we are going to get.

And now I apologize and try to bring it back to the main point. Avatar was a huge film hit but so are many other films in history. Not all lend themselves well to merch and Avatar toys, apparel, or any other items really took off. Just some halloween novelties that happened the year the movie came out with people doing face make up and ear appliances for fun.

All that aside yes Star Wars is the only known franchise that could ever compete and top Potter in terms of merch sales and fanbase in a year round theme park setting if given the oppertunity. The problem is, is that Disney has the rights to and has still never given the movie its proper sized credit in their theme park world as far as attraction experiences. One attraction and an event. At this rate that is all we are going to get.

And let's not forget that 2.0 probably came 10 years late.

Personally I would rather have something original thats different from what you can find on the west coast.

I agree completely. Plus, the only way Carsland would have made a huge splash is if it opened the same time as it's DCA counterpart, not almost have a decade later.

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed this may never see the light of day. I would have LOVED to see a life-size Na'vi animatronic or two. Would have been pretty darn gorgeous.

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed this may never see the light of day. I would have LOVED to see a life-size Na'vi animatronic or two. Would have been pretty darn gorgeous.

Even if/when it does happen you are not likely to see many Animatronics anyway. Disney avoids that whenever they can. Now more than ever since they just finally outsourced all of their Audio Animatronic work to Garner Holt. The last major AA additions we had were Potatohead and The Yeti. Potatohead is one AA in an attraction that only exists in the queue. The yeti, well yeah we know how that one has gone down since.

The attractions in Avatar's area if it does happen will be more screen and film based.

Even if/when it does happen you are not likely to see many Animatronics anyway. Disney avoids that whenever they can. Now more than ever since they just finally outsourced all of their Audio Animatronic work to Garner Holt. The last major AA additions we had were Potatohead and The Yeti. Potatohead is one AA in an attraction that only exists in the queue. The yeti, well yeah we know how that one has gone down since.

The attractions in Avatar's area if it does happen will be more screen and film based.

SHHH. Don't destroy the beautiful image of giant Avatar animatronics I have in my mind.

Freaking screens... Where's the magic in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.