Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While it's good numbers the App is Free and HBO you must have an account....so apples to oranges

The bigger news here is Disney Plus seems to be crushing it...if they could not even over come it

Got the premium tier (with ads) free with our Cox service. Pretty great selection. Can’t wait to dive in on the classic monster (including the Abbott and Costello “meets” movies) and Hitchcock films. Just watched the matrix and the ads weren’t terrible. About a minute long in each break and about 5 breaks throughout.

Shrek, the Jurassic Park trilogy, the Matrix trilogy, and Children of Men are all leaving Peacock at the end of the month.

Literally every movie I care about on Peacock leaves at the end of the month.

Brave New World.

I watched the pilot and it's...okay! It's promising. There was probably no way of adapting that book in a reasonably satisfying way, since let's be honest, the book is kinda bad. The revolution storyline was a little odd, doing a revolt over being forced to work in a theme park for rich people seems off since unlike in Westworld we don't really see them abused in any way, very tell-don't-show there. It's also a funny that there's this guy dressed like the aunts in Handmaid's Tale monitoring people's joy and dishing out vacations and Valium to everyone that's insufficiently happy, that's hilarious but I'm not sure it's supposed to be (yeah I know he's probably just Bernard's boss but still). But they gave as much motivation to the New London people as they probably reasonably could've given their book characterizations so they actually have a bit of interior life, Wilmelmina is a lot of fun, and the production design is seriously gorgeous, excellent decision to bring in Studio Evans Lane. Plus plenty of actual nudity, which is nice - I was concerned they'd censor that particular part of the story. I'll watch more of it, definitely.

Besides that, I wanted to talk a bit about the movie selection cuz there are a few omissions of smaller movies that seem like they'd be easy gets:

- Cry-Baby
- It's Kind of a Funny Story
- Milk (or hell, most of the early Focus catalog)
- Bound
- 4 Weddings and a Funeral

I'm sure most of these are coming later - if they have Serial Mom they're probably gonna want Cry-Baby - but I want them now! :mad:

The 30 Rock one-time special was hilarious, but it's practically a giant commercial for Peacock. i've also been watching a lot of SNL. I wish they had all the episodes. I would def pay from premium for that.

The 30 Rock one-time special was hilarious, but it's practically a giant commercial for Peacock. i've also been watching a lot of SNL. I wish they had all the episodes. I would def pay from premium for that.
It is and many NBC affiliates actually didn't show the 30-Rock special because of it being an ad for Peacock and there being no commercial breaks.

It is and many NBC affiliates actually didn't show the 30-Rock special because of it being an ad for Peacock and there being no commercial breaks.

I mean it wasn't ALL Peacock but it was really funny how they worked all the "commercial breaks" into the special, with it all being NBC/Universal fare including Hagrid's.

Debris looked interesting, at least.

So the most iconic universal movies are leaving their own streaming platform?

It happens, unfortunately. Long term deals signed years ago are now coming back to bite companies in the back (it happened to Disney and Warners too). Jaws and ET are coming soon, however, and you still got most of the big Universal Monster movies.

It happens, unfortunately. Long term deals signed years ago are now coming back to bite companies in the back (it happened to Disney and Warners too). Jaws and ET are coming soon, however, and you still got most of the big Universal Monster movies.
Ah I see. So eventually tHey would come back more permanently?

also are we thinking there could be park focused stuff on the service? Like an behind the scenes of HHN or anything like that?
I know I’m late but I just got the service and was curious

Reactions: rageofthegods
Ah I see. So eventually tHey would come back more permanently?

also are we thinking there could be park focused stuff on the service? Like an behind the scenes of HHN or anything like that?
I know I’m late but I just got the service and was curious

I think we're going to see alot of cycling happen for years to come, unfortunately. That goes for HBO Max and, to a lesser extent, Disney+ as well.

As for parks stuff, it depends. I think there was discussion earlier about that, it doesn't seem very likely.

Peacock only beat Quibi by 300,000 downloads in its first week of release.

Remember that Peacock is available outside of your phone, whereas Quibi is exclusively on mobile (launch numbers for Disney+ pegged total subscribers at over 3x mobile downloads). Also keep in mind that Peacock actually spent the least amount in advertising of all the major streaming launches.

To be clear, these numbers aren't wonderful, but they're not catastrophic either, and for good reason they haven't generated the firestorm of bad press that HBOM's 90k launch did. NBCU will also have a much easier time than most ramping up thanks to the free tier.

Reactions: Clive
Remember that Peacock is available outside of your phone, whereas Quibi is exclusively on mobile (launch numbers for Disney+ pegged total subscribers at over 3x mobile downloads). Also keep in mind that Peacock actually spent the least amount in advertising of all the major streaming launches.

To be clear, these numbers aren't wonderful, but they're not catastrophic either, and for good reason they haven't generated the firestorm of bad press that HBOM's launch did. NBCU will have a much easier time than most ramping up thanks to the free tier.
I think people cared more about HBO Max, which was why they were upset with the (lack of) rollout.

Remember, both HBO Max AND Peacock still aren’t available on Roku or Amazon, which combine for 70% of the streaming market.

Reactions: Clive and Teebin