Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think a lot of this is probably them looking at how well Trolls World Tour did on PVOD and while those numbers may not be great worldwide numbers overall, if you can draw that many people to what’s (let’s face it) a struggling streaming service with the Boss Baby demographic, then this move could potentially really help draw eyes to the service in a key demo and actually get people to acknowledge it’s existence.

Reactions: Clive
They could also reach a larger demographic if they made more noise about their Columbo collection. Aren't people always talking about how Russian Doll and Knives Out contain elements of Columbo?

I think maybe this is due to Boss Baby's popularity on Netflix...when the show was running each season was always top 10 and before Cocomelon, Boss Baby was the most watched Kid show on Netflix internationally.

so maybe Universal is okay with the loss domestically and hoping to reap that international money through theatres

“Families are at the heart of our decision today to make DreamWorks Animation’s The Boss Baby: Family Business available to everyone this July Fourth weekend, and to give those families the freedom to choose whether to see this joyful, hilarious and heartfelt film from a big-screen theater seat or from the comfort of their own homes on Peacock,” said Jim Orr, President Domestic Distribution, Universal Pictures in a statement.

Yeah, people are going to have the choice of paying $50 for a family of 4 or $5 for a month of Peacock. Family films have way more to lose in box office than most of the others that get single or couple moviegoers. And at least Disney's still getting $30 plus the Disney+ sub for anyone looking to watch Raya or Cruella.

Reactions: RevFreako

The Resort explores love and the weird things we do in the name of it, encased in an elaborate true-crime conspiracy, with each season set in a unique picturesque vacation destination. The first season takes place at an all-inclusive resort along the Mayan Riviera, when a married couple on the brink of divorce inadvertently becomes embroiled in one of the Yucatan’s most bizarre, unsolved mysteries that, somehow, is part metaphysical detective story, part Indiana Jones-esque adventure, part coming-of-age romance.

Tbh I'm surprised this wasn't already a one-season animation domination show from 2014.
As soon as you mentioned the whole Animation Domination bit, I immediately became disappointed to learn this was going to be a live-action series (and Mark Wahlburg not being in it only dampens excitement further). The first movie was good, but Ted 2 saw a steep drop-off in quality.

Idk, i'll have to wait and see how things turn out with this before judging it, but I feel like while this was big in the early part of last decade, idk what else there is to tell here, especially in a series where we're looking at hours of content where it can still feel fresh and not like they're reaching for content. If Wahlburg isn't going to be in it though i'm assuming it'll either be a prequel (and they'll cast a younger version of Wahlburg's character) or a sequel where Ted has left Wahlburg's character.

As soon as you mentioned the whole Animation Domination bit, I immediately became disappointed to learn this was going to be a live-action series (and Mark Wahlburg not being in it only dampens excitement further). The first movie was good, but Ted 2 saw a steep drop-off in quality.

Idk, i'll have to wait and see how things turn out with this before judging it, but I feel like while this was big in the early part of last decade, idk what else there is to tell here, especially in a series where we're looking at hours of content where it can still feel fresh and not like they're reaching for content. If Wahlburg isn't going to be in it though i'm assuming it'll either be a prequel (and they'll cast a younger version of Wahlburg's character) or a sequel where Ted has left Wahlburg's character.

The rumour is it'll be a multicam starring Ted, which if nothing else sounds like another interesting genre riff from MacFarlane after The Orville. I wanna see Everybody Loves Raymond or King of Queens with a foulmouthed Teddy Bear as the lead.

You're absolutely right that Ted is weirdly uninfluential considering how massive it was. It's not really "quotable" like Superbad was. It'll be interesting seeing if it can still resonate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick
I've heard good things about Dr. Death, but it seems like know one cares to acknowledge its existence, because as i've been saying, Peacock is on the fringes of the Streaming services. Supposedly Peacock has 42 milliom "users", but if they but the streaming service never trends on social media unless they pay for it to because most of those are just accounts people created for free. Netflix and Disney+ are the top tier services based on subs, but based on supposed subs, HBO Max (which also is in murky waters when it comes to sub reporting), only has a few million more than Peacock supposedly, yet it trends all the time. Hulu Trends organically a lot. Hell, even things from Paramount+ and Discovery+ do. So does Apple TV+ every once in awhile.

Yet this new show on Peacock, which supposedly is really good, won't get any attention because nobody pays to use Peacock. Ads are a great revenue source, but there's a reason that Hulu charges people to use their service now (and they still run ads) and once you let people in for free, they don't want to pay, especially when they're already paying for god knows how many more streaming services already. As I look right now, among the top trending things in the US are Fear Street 1666 (Netflix), Space Jam: A New Legacy (Max), and even that High School Musical show on Disney+.

I guess my overall point here is that I see Peacock being the first of the streaming services to collapse if they don't do something to course correct the service.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I've heard good things about Dr. Death, but it seems like know one cares to acknowledge its existence, because as i've been saying, Peacock is on the fringes of the Streaming services. Supposedly Peacock has 42 milliom "users", but if they but the streaming service never trends on social media unless they pay for it to because most of those are just accounts people created for free. Netflix and Disney+ are the top tier services based on subs, but based on supposed subs, HBO Max (which also is in murky waters when it comes to sub reporting), only has a few million more than Peacock supposedly, yet it trends all the time. Hulu Trends organically a lot. Hell, even things from Paramount+ and Discovery+ do. So does Apple TV+ every once in awhile.

Yet this new show on Peacock, which supposedly is really good, won't get any attention because nobody pays to use Peacock! Ads are a great revenue source, but there's a reason that Hulu charges people to use their service now (and they still run ads) and once you let people in for free, they don't want to pay, especially when they're already paying for god knows how many more streaming services already. As I look right now, among the top trending things in the US are Fear Street 1666 (Netflix), Space Jam: A New Legacy (Max), and even that High School Musical show on Disney+.

I guess my overall point here is that I see Peacock being the first of the streaming services to collapse if they don't do something to course correct the service.
and yet NBCU is by all accounts happy with the numbers they're getting. How does this square with your dire prediction?

Reactions: rageofthegods
and yet NBCU is by all accounts happy with the numbers they're getting. How does this square with your dire prediction?
I'm not calling it dire at least presently, i'm saying that it will be the first to go when that time inevitably comes. I don't see how the market place can sustain the amount of streaming services that there currently is out there right now.

And i'm not going to deny that Comcast is happy with Peacock, but they also aren't going to say that they don't like what they're seeing since they want Wall Street to be happy and invest.

Don't mind me, just popping by to say that Dr Death is pretty great. Really like the decision to stage most of the surgeries indirectly and mostly using sound, it's icky.

Christian Slater is great too. Why don't we get more Christian Slater in movies? There should be more Christian Slater in movies. Also mark my words, Dominic Burgess is the next John Carroll Lynch.

Last edited:
I never said anything against Dr. Death. I actually opened my post by saying I was hearing a lot of good things online about the show. I've searched it multiple times. Doesn't translate to a watch though. Dr. Death was a paid ad on many social media platforms (which is unusual for Peacock to spend that type of ad-money), which is why I feel like so many searched it up, especially since the show is based on real events.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was considered a big win for Peacock, but i've heard no one talk about this show or review it online (at least the people I tend to trust for reviews), and no one has really been talking about it in the circles I tend to go for movies or TV shows or just if I go on facebook and see what people are talking about (Loki and Space Jam dominates that convo). Twitter also is giving me nothing in terms of anyone talking about this show. It may be great, but i'm suspicious on the amount of people that watched it. Obviously my "circles" may just be the ones missing the talk of the show, but I travel in a lot of entertainment circles, I really think I would have heard talk of this show. If you go on youtube and search "Dr. Death", there's only like 1 thing that shows up for the show before the real-life stuff starts popping up and that's the trailer.

We may find out from either Nielson in a few weeks when their streaming charts (which are always weeks behind) come out or SambaTV may have some numbers.

Last edited:
I never said anything against Dr. Death. I actually opened my post by saying I was hearing a lot of good things online about the show. I've searched it multiple times. Doesn't translate to a watch though. Dr. Death was a paid ad on many social media platforms (which is unusual for Peacock to spend that type of ad-money), which is why I feel like so many searched it up, especially since the show is based on real events.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was considered a big win for Peacock, but i've heard no one talk about this show or review it online (at least the people I tend to trust for reviews), and no one has really been talking about it in the circles I tend to go for movies or TV shows or just if I go on facebook and see what people are talking about (Loki and Space Jam dominates that convo). Twitter also is giving me nothing in terms of anyone talking about this show. It may be great, but i'm suspicious on the amount of people that watched it. Obviously my "circles" may just be the ones missing the talk of the show, but I travel in a lot of entertainment circles, I really think I would have heard talk of this show. If you go on youtube and search "Dr. Death", there's only like 1 thing that shows up for the show before the real-life stuff starts popping up and that's the trailer.

We may find out from either Nielson in a few weeks when their streaming charts (which are always weeks behind) come out or SambaTV may have some numbers.

Peacock AFAIK isn't on Nielsen.

Either way, I think you're discounting how how good Google trends are at actually acting as a surrogate for ratings on streaming. Multiple streamers use what's basically a more sophisticated version of it to track competitors and efficacy of their own marketing campaigns.

EDIT: My main hope is that we move past the idea that just because something isn't talked about in your circles doesn't mean it isn't popular. Lots of things determine popularity of a show, and some things that make it hard to get a representative sample from just friends and family, like geographic location, are more influential than they're often given credit for.