Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Peacock (Streaming Service)

Maybe this is my fault for the way I phrased my post, but please take Olympic talk to the Olympic thread and leave this thread for discussing the service itself.

Don't forget NBC has the olympics next year in feb/march too...so thats two months of some of you subscribiing.
Not me, i'm not a fan of the Winter Olympics. But I do realize that Peacock is pretty much made for the Olympics and similar events and I expect Comcast to tout a huge increase in "signups" and paid memberships during their next quarterly report. I actually think the Summer Olympics getting postponed by a year was good for Peacock as it allowed the service to build up it's original content a bit for them to now run lots of ads about as another reason to signup for Peacock beyond just the Olympics.

Called this the other day, not surprised at all that The Olympics has spurred Signups and active users. If they can keep those users active is another question entirely I guess as I feel most are just using the service for Olympics right now, but I think the "signups" (read: free accounts) number will potentially be up to 100M after the Winter Olympics. Let's also not forget that NBC has the Super Bowl DURING the Olympics so once again, Peacock is going to be highly used for not only the Olympics, but also the biggest single sporting event of the year.

Peacock reminds me a bit of Hulu in it's early days.

Finally got around to watching Dr. Death now that I had some time and I have Peacock currently. Thoroughly enjoyed the show from front to back. I'm glad I waited until after the show to watch the True Crime series on it as that would've really ruined the show for me. Joshua Jackson was especially a standout in the lead role.

I've had the ad-version of Peacock for close to a month and, aside for some Olympic use, I haven't used it that much. I pop it on every now and then when there's nothing to watch on linear TV, but I didn't really use it until I finally got around to watching Dr. Death before my month ends in a few days since i'm not renewing. This is a service I can see myself picking up for a show here or there, but other than that i'm good without it. Once per year almost seems good enough now and then just catch up on most things during that month I have it.

Do people enjoy Rutherford Falls? Was thinking of trying it.
I've watched the free episodes before I had peacock. Never got around to finishing the season. It didn't stand out to me like Ted Lasso did on Apple TV+, but it'll do the job as a fun NBC comedy.

I've watched the free episodes before I had peacock. Never got around to finishing the season. It didn't stand out to me like something like Ted Lasso did on Apple TV+, but it'll do the job as a fun NBC comedy.
We’re getting Apple TV next month, I definitely don’t expect it to of that caliber. If it’s even close to Superstore quality I’ll be pleased. NBC comedies tend to work well for me frankly.

The Lost Symbol adheres closely to the book in its first episode. Unfortunately it's the book that made me quit reading Dan Brown (for all his flaws, I legit loved Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons).

It’s nice to hear a big increase in spending and finally hear the amount of paid subscribers as opposed to just the people signed up for an account.

Seeing what just happened to Netflix’s stock because their subscriber growth slowed, I do have to think that this quasi-pyramid scheme of all these streaming services spending way more than they make each year is going to have to end at some point and I do think it will lead to some services merging together or shuttering.

Something I could very easily see happening is Peacock and Paramount+ merging, which would create a much more dynamic service with a much larger library and way more originals and the service being owned at a 50/50 split.

What Peacock really needs to do IMO is start taking advantage of Universal's catalog of IPs and get some tentpole shows based on their franchises like Fast and Furious or Shrek. That's how Disney has managed to stay ahead of most other streaming services: by spending money to do shows based on Marvel and Star Wars while also bringing back prolific stars for projects like Hocus Pocus 2, Monsters at Work, and Disenchanted. Even HBO Max is starting to get on board with this now, shown by Peacemaker probably being the most talked-about original since launching nearly 2 years ago. Reviving shows like Saved By the Bell, Punkey Brewster, and A.P. Bio just doesn't really do much for me.

Last edited:
Definitely will be some service plans shrinking and/or combining in the industry long term. There's too many plans chasing too few customers. There's only so much product that people will pay extra to watch.