Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pixar's Soul

Is this going to be included with Disney+ or similar to Mulan?

I'm surprised they still have that rule for Academy Awards.

Going to be a very strange year for awards indeed. Lots of January-February stuff or a bunch of films that came out in Europe that few in the States have seen yet.

Are you telling me that Bad Boys For Life doesn't deserve an Academy Award on it's own merit? I can't believe that came out this year.

I'm assuming that Soul is a case where Disney was (pre-COVID) planning on merch sales being a large chunk of revenue, as is the case with most of their animated films. I assume it was better to lose money on the release, but gain exposure from Disney+ to aid merch sales.

Especially depending on the quality given Pete's great TR, it could be a way to further up the amount of users before they do another gamble off of the Premiere Access--possibly with something larger than Mulan next time.

Build it up--with Wandavision, Mando2, Soul, and Falcon and The Winter Soldier all in a close proximity to eachother in release windows. Then try something large.

Especially depending on the quality given Pete's great TR, it could be a way to further up the amount of users before they do another gamble off of the Premiere Access--possibly with something larger than Mulan next time.

Build it up--with Wandavision, Mando2, Soul, and Falcon and The Winter Soldier all in a close proximity to eachother in release windows. Then try something large.
The only movie I could see Disney moving to PA after Mulan is Black Widow.

Pretty much as we expected, except they are taking the full loss on this instead of doing Premiere Access it would seem. I assume they are hoping this will lead to an increase in subscribers, but to me, i'd think the audience for this film is already subscribed.
I mean I don't have Disney plus right now.

But I think Im the unique person who switching to difference services each month depending on what show is coming out, Soul will for sure keep me along with Wanda Vision

The film debuted at the London Film Festival today and reviews suggest it's pretty much living up to what I think most of us hoped it would be:

It’s such a shame they have to take an L on this one. I probably would have been happy to pay the premium knowing that I at least got a quality movie out of it and wanted to reward the creative team.

It’s such a shame they have to take an L on this one. I probably would have been happy to pay the premium knowing that I at least got a quality movie out of it and wanted to reward the creative team.

They’re getting paid regardless. Disney is the one losing out.

If it’s as good as the reviews suggest and having the movie being so accessible, great reviews after a crappy year could be a great reward for the team.

The film debuted at the London Film Festival today and reviews suggest it's pretty much living up to what I think most of us hoped it would be:

I hate to say this, but the reviews make me think this may have underperformed at the box office even in normal times. Intelligent and emotionally impactful isn't what the GP is looking for in their escapist entertainment.

I hate to say this, but the reviews make me think this may have underperformed at the box office even in normal times. Intelligent and emotionally impactful isn't what the GP is looking for in their escapist entertainment.

Yeah, these are Purple Rose of Cairo times... “I love him... I know, he isn’t real... but you can’t have everything”. Escapism is in high demand.

Films directed or written by Pete Docter have never been billion dollar earners. They’ve always been among Pixar’s top-tier quality wise though.

Inside Out and Coco did very well and I would consider at least Coco a top tier movie and Inside out really great.

So I don't know I think many want Pixar to be more....and while yes they will make money on sequels its because many times the first film was really intelligent and emotionally impactful .

But yes in general people overlook great films like the new blade runner and 90% of A24 films.

Inside Out and Coco did very well and I would consider at least Coco a top tier movie and Inside out really great.

So I don't know I think many want Pixar to be more....and while yes they will make money on sequels its because many times the first film was really intelligent and emotionally impactful .

But yes in general people overlook great films like the new blade runner and 90% of A24 films.
And I mean, people are calling this film a spiritual successor to Inside Out, so obviously there was enough demand for this type of movie that they let a second movie go forward that is similar. Also, let's not pretend that Toy Story 4 didn't play around with more mature themes with Forky having an existential crisis on his reason for being (similar to what looks to happen with our main character in Soul after he dies).

And I mean, people are calling this film a spiritual successor to Inside Out, so obviously there was enough demand for this type of movie that they let a second movie go forward that is similar. Also, let's not pretend that Toy Story 4 didn't play around with more mature themes with Forky having an existential crisis on his reason for being (similar to what looks to happen with our main character in Soul after he dies).
Toy Story 4, is such a hard film for me to grade. Its beautiful and well animated and has some good themes and even like how they delt with the antagonist but it for me is also soooo lacking compared to the other three films because its focused too much on Woody and Bo.
Buzz is just way too stupid this man saved Woody in the second film and in the third became a villain who could also was smart but now he's dumb because haha we need cheap jokes? I think its a solid film but not up to Coco, Up, Toy Story 3 in terms of just everything coming together being funny, a great message and making people cry.

Hope Soul can be the next one that is a 10/10. I don't know why but Pixar suckssssss at making trailers I feel like I never care about the film until I sit down and they just tell the story and then I love it. But this is for all pixar movies..I thought Toy Story 3 looked like it was going to be a bad film then turned out amazing one of thr best trilogies ever

Toy Story 4, is such a hard film for me to grade. Its beautiful and well animated and has some good themes and even like how they delt with the antagonist but it for me is also soooo lacking compared to the other three films because its focused too much on Woody and Bo.
Buzz is just way too stupid this man saved Woody in the second film and in the third became a villain who could also was smart but now he's dumb because haha we need cheap jokes? I think its a solid film but not up to Coco, Up, Toy Story 3 in terms of just everything coming together being funny, a great message and making people cry.

Hope Soul can be the next one that is a 10/10. I don't know why but Pixar suckssssss at making trailers I feel like I never care about the film until I sit down and they just tell the story and then I love it. But this is for all pixar movies..I thought Toy Story 3 looked like it was going to be a bad film then turned out amazing one of thr best trilogies ever
I agree, the Pixar "one-offs" (films that will never get a sequel in all likelihood) are usually some of their best. Up, WALL-E, Inside Out, Coco, Ratatouille, etc. If Soul is on that level, then I don't care how it would've done at the box office because frankly, we'll never know how it would've done had COVID not hit anyway. But positive word of mouth leading up to it's release may be a big win for Disney+ as it will not only help retain their existing subscribers, but possibly add new ones.

Remember, the Verizon one year deal is going to be ending very soon, so having things like The Mandalorian, WandaVision and Soul leading up to the end of the year will help Disney retain many of those subscribers as actual paying subscribers and not just getting it free through Verizon.

Must...resist...angry grandpa mode...