Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pixar's Soul

Just looked at Disney+ and was surprised to see Soul is listed as a Disney+ Original. I think that's the right way to categorize it since it's going straight to D+, but I just find it interesting. Movies like Artemis Fowl, Hamilton, and The One and Only Ivan, which all were sent off the theatrical calendar to streaming, are NOT listed as D+ Originals which is why I was surprised.

I'll watch the movie at night after Christmas stuff, but I love that they also include all of the movie extras for a movie of this calendar on it's release date. That's one of the things I've really loved about Disney+ in general is the ease of access to hours and hours on end simply of extras content. I don't think any other Streaming Service does that as of now.

Really kinda loved this film! A really great style and some really good character stuff and some really subtle and very good writing. Really hits home at a couple points. Definitely one of the best of the year.

4.5/5

Just watched the film and really enjoyed it. I thought the villain (?) was weak though and it did feel like it dragged on a bit in the first act.

I think this movie is probably much more “adult” focused than almost any other Pixar movie I’ve seen. My younger sister (who is much more into Tik Tok than anything right now) left after about 30 minutes as it wasn’t holding her attention and considering the higher concept nature of this film, kids probably won’t like/appreciate this movie as much as adults will.

I do have an issue with how (much like PatF) we have a black lead who transforms into something else for most of the movie. Something about that just rubs me the wrong way.

The score for the movie was absolutely beautiful and I already want to go back and just listen to some of it. The movie having so much jazz influence is just heaven on the ears.

4.25/5

Last edited:
I'm gonna be the first person to say I didn't love it, and I've been seeing rave reviews everywhere.
I loved the premise, I liked the characters, and it had me till we got to the third act. It was a great exploration of a lot of high ideas and I was super excited to see the threads come together and they never really managed to pull me through.
Without spoiling it I felt like they had this really beautiful concept earlier in the story that never got followed through on and while I got the final concept, it felt like they threw out some of the build up that occurred earlier in the story and within the main premise of the relationship between the main characters.

Did anyone else notice that some of the “slapstick” comedy moments were surprisingly dark?
For instance, the man getting scolded in an alternate plane of reality for cheating death, leaving him scarred.
The cat’s soul that the main character filled going to the “great beyond” (also makes me wonder how that ended up on a face mask).

Also, while still not ideal, I definitely take less of an issue with the “have an African American lead just to turn them into something else.” Because they only seemed to take “side trips” away from the real world and culture, where they still constantly referenced.
Also, I think it is safe to say that, as great as the film was, Soul doesn’t really fit into the parks beyond an entertainment offering or an exhibit. As much as I love armchair imagineers, they can get a bit overbearing after a film’s release. Hopefully this film keeps them a little more at bay.

Also, I think it is safe to say that, as great as the film was, Soul doesn’t really fit into the parks beyond an entertainment offering or an exhibit. As much as I love armchair imagineers, they can get a bit overbearing after a film’s release. Hopefully this film keeps them a little more at bay.
Yeah, which kinda isn't surprising when we're talking about a film that's concept is about existentialism, death, etc.

Although it is a bit surprising when talking about Pete Docter. The films he's directed prior to this (Monster's Inc., Up, and Inside Out) have all been either translated into an attraction already or had serious talks about being turned into attractions. The reason for that is, Docter creates expansive worlds with his films. While Up is not a film that will get a sequel (nor does it need one), it's world does lend well to a theme park. Soul was basically a spiritual successor to Inside Out in many ways, even though they are different worlds. Monster's obviously has attractions and a vast world.

Soul just doesn't lend itself to a theme park like those other films do other than a M&G.

Just watched the film and really enjoyed it. I thought the villain (?) was weak though and it did feel like it dragged on a bit in the first act.

I think this movie is probably much more “adult” focused than almost any other Pixar movie I’ve seen. My younger sister (who is much more into Tik Tok than anything right now) left after about 30 minutes as it wasn’t holding her attention and considering the higher concept nature of this film, kids probably won’t like/appreciate this movie as much as adults will.

I do have an issue with how (much like PatF) we have a black lead who transforms into something else for most of the movie. Something about that just rubs me the wrong way.

The score for the movie was absolutely beautiful and I already want to go back and just listen to some of it. The movie having so much jazz influence is just heaven on the ears.

4.25/5

There really wasn't a "villain" per say.

Anyhow, THIS is the Pixar I've been missing from the aughts. Wonderful, wonderful movie.

There really wasn't a "villain" per say.

Anyhow, THIS is the Pixar I've been missing from the aughts. Wonderful, wonderful movie.
I was more referring to the "Jerry" who was looking for Joe. I gues he wasn't really a villian, but I did find myself thinking that every time they cut to a scene of him, it really disrupted the flow of the movie.

I was more referring to the "Jerry" who was looking for Joe. I gues he wasn't really a villian, but I did find myself thinking that every time they cut to a scene of him, it really disrupted the flow of the movie.
I agree Terry did feel a little odd especially during the search part, but I think she was necessary to drive the full cycle of the plot. She definitely wasn't a villain but was more a necessary cog in all senses, story and plot device. They were able to do some really clever sight gags with her. The only real thing that I wish they would have done differently was shown a small glimpse of 22 somewhere...

I agree Terry did feel a little odd especially during the search part, but I think she was necessary to drive the full cycle of the plot. She definitely wasn't a villain but was more a necessary cog in all senses, story and plot device. They were able to do some really clever sight gags with her. The only real thing that I wish they would have done differently was shown a small glimpse of 22 somewhere...
My family said the same thing abbout wishing we would've seen a glimpse of 22 at the end. Maybe they'll show that in a Pixar short or something someday down the line.

I mean....well duh what else was there? But also well deserved both on music and just in general a great animated film