Reedy Creek Improvement District | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Reedy Creek Improvement District

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not to get too political but what’s funny is that the Governor’s party is usually on the side of big business but yet because of his massive ego he is going against that.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
It's a bummer being on the side of the mega-corporation, but it truly seems as open and shut as it gets here. Plenty of direct, targeted quotes showing clear intent. Consistent bills pushed for only this single special district when Florida has roughly 1800 of them. Explicitly targets Disney and not Universal/SeaWorld/etc. with his new proposal for state-led ride inspections. Etc.

I mean, this section of the filed complaint alone is pretty damn clear cut:

Yeah, Disney pretty much sat back and let the other side build their case for them. Sometimes the thing that can get you the worst are your own words. The retaliation/targeting is there, and when the Govenor acknowledged Universal/SW having their own districts but *won't* be under the state-led ride inspections?...that just solidifies the targeting even more.

I don't think it's often lawyers get a chance to literally copy and paste so many quotes in their defense so easily. The new Board definitely loved speaking in front of the cameras about controlling Disney a little too much, maybe?

Disney's statements were also kept to a minimum and made to be easily understood by most people.

Any chance this will show up in some form in the next Kingdom Hearts? :lol:

Reactions: CyborgDinosaur
There was a board meeting today, correct? I'm assuming they moved on trying to void the 11th hour agreement the RCID Board made which is probably why Disney filed today?

As a pretty big Twitch Streamer I watch has been saying on this, “Politicians only think they hold power in this country.”

As this situation is showing, in reality it’s corporations that do, for better or for worse. Disney is they one with the insane amount of money and can afford the absolute best lawyers and PR team in this situation. They are showing the governor who really holds the power in this state and it’s not him.
Twitch streamers are great sources of social and political commentary

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ghostsarejerks
Also, Desantis isn't worried about Disney, he's worried about his presidential run

I'm sure Florida and Disney don't want the conflict and will come to some sort of agreement

These things tend to work to achieve some sort of stasis

End of the day, Disney needs Florida and Florida benefits from Disney

If I were Disney, I be far more concerned about Comcast chipping away at my market share, but whatevs

Now Ron has to prove in court that they were just “levelling the playing field” and that “Disney wasn’t paying its fair share”.

A false talking point isn’t easy to prove :love:

To no surprise whatsoever, the new board scheduled a special meeting next Monday to discuss how they're gonna' defend themselves.

I don't think it's often lawyers get a chance to literally copy and paste so many quotes in their defense so easily. The new Board definitely loved speaking in front of the cameras about controlling Disney a little too much, maybe?

And circling back to this, I certainly agree the new Board and Govenor were quite open on their intent. And looking into it more, I don't think its often lawyers get to use a Govenor's memoir in their defense.

First Republican State Politician I’ve seen that is speaking out even a little bit, basically trying to signal for the Governor to chill out and he’s already lost the court of public opinion:

Kevin McCarthy joined in in saying something similar yesterday.

And looks like local business owners are now going to be taxed more over this whole debacle despite earlier promises that they wouldn't:

At a special meeting of the board of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District — formerly the Reedy Creek Improvement District — Gov. Ron DeSantis’ hand-picked members told concerned business owners their taxes would be raised to help pay for lawyers during the governor’s ongoing fight with Disney.

This comes after months of promises from DeSantis and his allies that tax increases would not come to Orange or Osceola county taxpayers as a direct result of the district dissolution. As it turns out, they could land on business owners in places such as Disney Springs for now.

I struggle understanding the (true) end goal for this issue on both sides. Is Disney aiming to completely keep sole ownership of the RDIC government? Or the right to have their own board? I can't tie all of the legal jargon together to figure it out.

I struggle understanding the (true) end goal for this issue on both sides. Is Disney aiming to completely keep sole ownership of the RDIC government? Or the right to have their own board? I can't tie all of the legal jargon together to figure it out.
Disney decided to insert itself into the debate over the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act which was written to prevent sexual orientation and gender identity indoctrination of small school children.

Chapek, under pressure from activist groups within the company issued a statement on the matter and said they were going to "fight" the bill, and then after some harsh words they doubled down.

Disney operates Reedy Creek as their own, essentially, private fiefdom in the state of Florida, a huge plot of land mind you.

DeSantis and the State said essentially, you do not get to act as a Vatican inside the State of Florida in which you get to issue papal doctrines to the rest of the State of Florida, that's not what you're here for, you're here to provide goods and services to the State of Florida. But not to function as your own political body in the State.

So, the action to dissolve Reedy Creek was taken, a privilege nobody else has btw, so it would essentially make them like everyone else (Universal, SeaWorld, etc)

Disney is now saying this is discriminatory. They want the special district AND insert themselves into political conversations at whim, whether it affects them or not.

Should businesses be allowed to speak out against political issues? Sure. The consequences are typically social (which btw Disney is also feeling)

The difference here is the special arrangement that Disney has with the State. Also Disney is not some small start up or something.

It's certainly lighter than when Mayor Thomas Manino of Boston, wouldn't even zone Chic Fil A in an attempt to push the business out of the city. Rahm Emanuel in Chicago said similar.

On the lawsuits, they're basically just fighting all of it, and we'll see how it plays out. Again, I think it will settle down personally

First Republican State Politician I’ve seen that is speaking out even a little bit, basically trying to signal for the Governor to chill out and he’s already lost the court of public opinion:

I'm not sure "lost the court of public opinion" is accurate

Disney decided to insert itself into the debate over the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act which was written to prevent sexual orientation and gender identity indoctrination of small school children.

Chapek, under pressure from activist groups within the company issued a statement on the matter and said they were going to "fight" the bill, and then after some harsh words they doubled down.

Disney operates Reedy Creek as their own, essentially, private fiefdom in the state of Florida, a huge plot of land mind you.

DeSantis and the State said essentially, you do not get to act as a Vatican inside the State of Florida in which you get to issue papal doctrines to the rest of the State of Florida, that's not what you're here for, you're here to provide goods and services to the State of Florida. But not to function as your own political body in the State.

So, the action to dissolve Reedy Creek was taken, a privilege nobody else has btw, so it would essentially make them like everyone else (Universal, SeaWorld, etc)

Disney is now saying this is discriminatory. They want the special district AND insert themselves into political conversations at whim, whether it affects them or not.

Should businesses be allowed to speak out against political issues? Sure. The consequences are typically social (which btw Disney is also feeling)

The difference here is the special arrangement that Disney has with the State. Also Disney is not some small start up or something.

It's certainly lighter than when Mayor Thomas Manino of Boston, wouldn't even zone Chic Fil A in an attempt to push the business out of the city. Rahm Emanuel in Chicago said similar.

On the lawsuits, they're basically just fighting all of it, and we'll see how it plays out. Again, I think it will settle down personally

I'm not sure "lost the court of public opinion" is accurate

The indoctrination of children thing is nonsense. The republican party want to erase LGBTQIA as much as they can. Anything that doesnt cater to them or reflect a 1950's mindset is "woke" and they desperately try to punish all those that disagree with them. I hate reading threads like these because it shows who people are (both the poster and anyone who likes this post). It's hard to enjoy reading comments on theme park stuff if you cant respect them as a person