Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash - General Discussion

I think it's kind of odd that a slow-moving dark ride would require these restraints. Hopefully someday Uni would include modified seating for this ride if they listen to crowd feedback.
Unfortunately they need to make it so to protect stupid people from themselves.
When I still went to WDW you didn't need a restrain at Splash Mountain. But people stepped out and got killed so now everyone needs to put on a seatbelt. It's unfortunate but it's the truth theme parks need to do.

Avoiding watching the video as I have every intention of traveling to Cali to ride this but thrilled by reading the reactions, especially considering many of you don't care for the movie. I actually loved it and have watched it more times than I'm proud of admitting. :lol: And if Lovely Day by Bill Withers is featured anywhere, I will flip.

I honestly am not a huge fan of both films, or Illumination in general (although I have to admit my fondness for Alexandre Desplat's incredible NYC jazz/big band-fusion score)... but this attraction is incredibly adorable. Almost all of the animatronics are really good, with the exception of Duke in the queue who just feels kind of off... you can tell why he doesn't speak for the rest of the attraction proper. Otherwise it's filled with wonderful setpieces, gags and a Disney-esque story progression. This is a dark ride we really haven't seen for a long time: elaborate, but focused for families and not interactive. It uses modern techniques and blends them with old-school ideas, and lots of great kinetic additions such as theatrical fog, mist, fiber optics, etc.

The idea that you're a stray puppy and you can see yourself is absolutely brilliant. The screens at the end may be a tad too long, but thankfully there is an animatronic-filled scene to cap things off. I was also stunned at how long the ride is, as I heard it was a variation of 3 to 5 minutes, and it turned out to be on the latter side. I give this a hearty two-thumbs up and I'm hoping they fast-track this to Florida ASAP.

Almost all of the animatronics are really good, with the exception of Duke in the queue who just feels kind of off... you can tell why he doesn't speak for the rest of the attraction proper.
Yeah, Max and Duke (especially Duke) in the queue look a bit rough (though the dialouge is awesome). Not to sound cynical but I wouldn't be surprised if they were replaced with a screen animation in a couple of years. The ride already has so many animatronics (including the queue) that losing some won't be a huge lost.

Last edited:
I feel in the minority here. This was the attraction I was looking forward to the most at USH; I didn’t realize the hype wasn’t as big haha. USH has needed something like this since ET shut down, and I’m glad Universal Creative didn’t disappoint on any front. Well done

Honestly they look about on par with mummy/ gringotts, which I don't understand.
I've seen a lot of people complaining about the seats for this ride, which is really nothing new for Uni attractions. I wonder if they'll ever update the seats to get rid of those? I doubt they would but I feel it'd be an improvement.

They have dozens of physical animals that kids will want to pet. Keeping the kids in place was probably a design priority.
I still don’t see why they couldn’t do a Big Thunder Mountain/Haunted Mansion/Little Mermaid style lap bar. The only thing I can think of the justify the seat style is for the facial tracking for the “you as a dog” segments.

I still don’t see why they couldn’t do a Big Thunder Mountain/Haunted Mansion/Little Mermaid style lap bar. The only thing I can think of the justify the seat style is for the facial tracking for the “you as a dog” segments.
Yeah, probably. I think a Haunted Mansion lapbar would have worked best for this ride. Also the little bit that goes between your legs looks unnecessary too, I don't know why that's there at all.

Universal, I’m almost positive, uses third parties for all of their ride systems and RVs. Disney builds theirs predominantly in-house. Third party developers will naturally implement more restrictive restraints because they have liability concerns beyond Universal.

Has anyone confirmed if this is the exact track layout they used for the Yoshi ride in tokyo? A side by side video comparison would help?

Has anyone confirmed if this is the exact track layout they used for the Yoshi ride in tokyo? A side by side video comparison would help?
I don't think it is but I'll look at them side by side and update this once I'm done :)
UPDATE: It looks like it doesn't match perfectly, though some parts are similar. If somebody wants to confirm or deny this though, please feel free to.

Last edited: