Shanghai Disneyland | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Shanghai Disneyland

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I apologize to @Alexshow for my previous comment. This IS essentially a screen attraction... but a great one.
While it definitely uses screens more than not, there's still a lot of set pieces which blends very nicely as well as a few AAs. If I had to compare it to any other ride i've been on, i'd probably say FJ (obv. not ride system, but in the way it blends screens/sets). I think Mystic Manor is an apt comparison as well, however i've yet to ride it.

...I... how?
I don't have the time to explain. But basically, the projection scenes of Spiderman creates simulation, POTC creates parallax. There is a massive difference between the two, which is difficult to comprehend unless you've spent a couple hours researching them

No... squinching is done to change perspective to make the image look in proportion to the rider. Unless you're talking about how POTC creates an auto-stereoscopic image as opposed to Spidey's stereoscopic one.

I don't have the time to explain. But basically, the projection scenes of Spiderman creates simulation, POTC creates parallax. There is a massive difference between the two, which is difficult to comprehend unless you've spent a couple hours researching them

Unless Pirates Shanghai uses a yet to be identified projection system the idea is very similar but not identical: the perspective of the ride vehicle moving is simulated in the animation as a camera. This perspective is then projected on a flat surface to give the illusion of depth or to assist with 3D imagery.

Reactions: Ryan
No... squinching is done to change perspective to make the image look in proportion to the rider. Unless you're talking about how POTC creates an auto-stereoscopic image as opposed to Spidey's stereoscopic one.
Okay...squinching (which is not an intellectual term) is not the same as parallax, but whatever. To have a complete parallax effect, assuming the x-axis is some horizontal plane parallel to the horizontal floor of the attraction; when the ride vehicle moves horizontally with the x-axis, the perspective is altered to convey depth (Spidey does this). However, to have a complete effect the y-axis assuming it is perpendicular the x-axis's tangent at any point, must also convey depth. In summary, Spidey, TF, etc. have all used just horizontal parallax, POTC has a complete parallax effect, which sounds like a small step, but calibration of the y-axis is MUCH, MUCH more difficult for reasons, that I'll explain if you wish.

I'm trying my darndest not to click on any of these POV videos. I'd like to keep the element of surprise when I eventually make my way over there.

Ok so you're discussing about how it creates depth to the rider purely, not how it adjusts perspective to keep the image's own stereoscopic illusion in check.

It's a lot of sticky camera talk.

While it definitely uses screens more than not, there's still a lot of set pieces which blends very nicely as well as a few AAs. If I had to compare it to any other ride i've been on, i'd probably say FJ (obv. not ride system, but in the way it blends screens/sets). I think Mystic Manor is an apt comparison as well, however i've yet to ride it.

I consider FJ a screen attraction..

I consider FJ a screen attraction..
I would consider it mostly screens, but the Dragon, Willow, and Dementors give it enough set to sway it from just screen. Transformers and Spider-Man are screen attractions in my book (Spider-Man ever so slightly less so). Gringotts would also be a screen attraction because it has no moving sets.

To have a complete parallax effect, assuming the x-axis is some horizontal plane parallel to the horizontal floor of the attraction; when the ride vehicle moves horizontally with the x-axis, the perspective is altered to convey depth (Spidey does this).

I rest my case. If this attraction does it on a grander scale then great! Many of us can see the achievement in the video.

I would consider it mostly screens, but the Dragon, Willow, and Dementors give it enough set to sway it from just screen. Transformers and Spider-Man are screen attractions in my book (Spider-Man ever so slightly less so). Gringotts would also be a screen attraction because it has no moving sets.

Transformers also has absolutely no moving set pieces as well. Gringotts at least has a ton of set detail... the upper floor of TF is shockingly barren at many points.

I honestly have no idea if I'll ever go to Shanghai. The trials an American has to go thru to go there (for god's sake, after spending money to get your Visa and proper paperwork together, the damn country has to actually approve your plans to go!)... I'm not sure if it's worth it. At least right now.

I honestly have no idea if I'll ever go to Shanghai. The trials an American has to go thru to go there (for god's sake, after spending money to get your Visa and proper paperwork together, the damn country has to actually approve your plans to go!)... I'm not sure if it's worth it. At least right now.

Very rarely will the government decline your Visa. It's a relatively pain free process.

Reactions: Ryan
The new Pirates ride looks fun, but I’m not at all blown away by it the way most in here seem to be. There are disappointingly few AAs to be found (though the ones that are there are AMAZING), and the truly big, showstopping moments seem to be bordering on simulatorish (i.e. focused on giant video footage taking up our field of vision). Sets look incredible, though. Certain “insiders” have intimated that the First Order ride in Star Wars Land is going to be highly similar to this, which will be fine, I guess, but I’m hoping for even more AAs and practical effects in that one.

Anyway, as for the park itself, I’m incredibly impressed with the overall level of detail. Looks like there are lots of places to explore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quint
Has anyone seen this yet? Kind of a shame if it's as big of a problem as the article suggests. Thoughts?
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/05/03/shanghai_disneyland_trashed_before_opening.php

This was outside the park for anyone to go to before a full staff could come in and manage the situation fully like Disney usually does.

Supposedly the park itself is only affordable to the upper middle class and not the recently rising regular middle class who allegedly still have issues with courteous behavior in public places.

That said, I haven't heard of any issues with the trial ops regarding this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BernardMesa
Has anyone seen this yet? Kind of a shame if it's as big of a problem as the article suggests. Thoughts?
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/05/03/shanghai_disneyland_trashed_before_opening.php

Will it be a problem? Yes. Will it turn Shanghai into an absolute disaster? No, probably not.

That being said, I think it's troubling that a lot of observers who have never been to China are making broad statements about Chinese culture and how Chinese guests should act. This is not Disney's gift to China, and the Chinese are not required to act like their western counterparts. There will be a learning curve to be sure, but everyone should be skeptical of those who suddenly have become experts on Chinese mannerisms.