Six Flags Fright Fest 2024 (Magic Mountain) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Fright Fest 2024 (Magic Mountain)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My first time experiencing Fright Fest was 2017 & everything was top tier (except Blackout.. that was a failed experiment that got replaced the following year). Ironically, that was the year of black wallz at HHN (coming after one of their best years). I was blown away by the quality Six Flags had put out, not to mention the scareactors.

2019 I didn't have as great an experience, but I wasn't flying solo either, so I put some of the blame in that.

Just like any event, they have their hits/misses

Reactions: Rideguy70
I think given trends in parks and Halloween events people actually want to pay more if they think said park or even is going to be a high quality experience.

I actually think this is a good thing if six flags is committed to to higher quality and keeping investment up over multiple years that it will take to Convince people they are serious.

There is also I believe a hole on the market in that universal has vastly more demand than they can open up in capacity for horror nights and Knott's which seems to have problems expanding their event as well is not an easy combination for everyone. The Disney party is certainly maxed out in capacity on rich people bragging rights and a poor value.

The la market in general is way underserved on quality parks and experiences given demand at this point.

Reactions: Wesker69
I think given trends in parks and Halloween events people actually want to pay more if they think said park or even is going to be a high quality experience.

I actually think this is a good thing if six flags is committed to to higher quality and keeping investment up over multiple years that it will take to Convince people they are serious.

There is also I believe a hole on the market in that universal has vastly more demand than they can open up in capacity for horror nights and Knott's which seems to have problems expanding their event as well is not an easy combination for everyone. The Disney party is certainly maxed out in capacity on rich people bragging rights and a poor value.

The la market in general is way underserved on quality parks and experiences given demand at this point.
I disagree with paying more. Ppl just want to know what they paid for leads to a great experience. FF hasn’t been doing that but now it can change.

I’m giving them a fair chance. It’s either gonna swim or drown. I think the former will happen. They know they have to deliver.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I'm going to shift into the Arkham Asylum side of crazy and say you've all had Fright Fest nearly "free" for years & shouldn't be complaining or putting the event down. (Again, it having existed for 30 years is impressive considering HHN Hollywood has been on hiatus 3 times since it's tragic 1986 debut). Being able to go to the park & just enjoy the SZs (and whatever entertainment is on the Full Throttle stage) was such a great perk if you didn't feel like doing the mazes.

I'm glad they shifted gears & seem to be doing this as a separately ticketed event. At least that seems to be the direction according to the "flash sale" tickets. $75 regular & $115 with express (for 6 Thursdays & 3 fridays) isn't bad either when compared to...

Single night HHN ticket: $77 (cheapest) - $109 (highest)
One-time use express HHN ticket: $209 (cheapest) - $309 (highest)
Unlimited express HHN ticket: $249 (cheapest) - $349 (highest)

Give Six Flags :poop: all you want, but their price is still cheaper than HHN (dont give me that quality comparison crap either)! If this will help generate more revenue for the event/park by being a fully separate ticketed event, I'm here for it.

One last thing.... if we don't get "zombie Mr Six", I'll be EXTREMEly grumpy lol

Reactions: chris.g
I'm going to shift into the Arkham Asylum side of crazy and say you've all had Fright Fest nearly "free" for years & shouldn't be complaining or putting the event down. (Again, it having existed for 30 years is impressive considering HHN Hollywood has been on hiatus 3 times since it's tragic 1986 debut). Being able to go to the park & just enjoy the SZs (and whatever entertainment is on the Full Throttle stage) was such a great perk if you didn't feel like doing the mazes.

I'm glad they shifted gears & seem to be doing this as a separately ticketed event. At least that seems to be the direction according to the "flash sale" tickets. $75 regular & $115 with express (for 6 Thursdays & 3 fridays) isn't bad either when compared to...

Single night HHN ticket: $77 (cheapest) - $109 (highest)
One-time use express HHN ticket: $209 (cheapest) - $309 (highest)
Unlimited express HHN ticket: $249 (cheapest) - $349 (highest)

Give Six Flags :poop: all you want, but their price is still cheaper than HHN (dont give me that quality comparison crap either)! If this will help generate more revenue for the event/park by being a fully separate ticketed event, I'm here for it.

One last thing.... if we don't get "zombie Mr Six", I'll be EXTREMEly grumpy lol
The past is the past, I've defended past events because of the APs benefits but those are gone

Now they charging the same price as HHN for General tickets

I know it wont be as good but the event now has higher expectations on Ops, houses and actors

Let's make this really simple:

If the significant price hikes come with substantial quality increases, I don't think anyone will be complaining too much.

If they raised prices just to deliver the same level of (wanting) quality as they historically have, then yeah, people are allowed to complain and reject the event - no matter how many headliner IPs they promote.

Stranger things

I'd be very surprised if it didn't have the longest line

If you mean best....no idea. Stranger things or Conjuring would be my guesses for what others say....I'll love the new Zombie one because Aftermatch is almost always my favorite

Let's make this really simple:

If they raised prices just to deliver the same level of (wanting) quality as they historically have, then yeah, people are allowed to complain and reject the event - no matter how many headliner IPs they promote
Tell that to USH's historic black walls & in some cases, underwhelming sets or execution. Let's not pretend like they haven't raised the prices & cut noticeable corners. Not everything that HHN delivers is worth $100-300 single night ticket price (plus early entry upcharge).

Point being, this event is still more affordable & their quality is just as hit or miss as the other events (except Dark Harbor... because.. big haunted ghost ship)

Tell that to USH's historic black walls & in some cases, underwhelming sets or execution. Let's not pretend like they haven't raised the prices & cut noticeable corners. Not everything that HHN delivers is worth $100-300 single night ticket price (plus early entry upcharge).

Point being, this event is still more affordable & their quality is just as hit or miss as the other events (except Dark Harbor... because.. big haunted ghost ship)

2017, sure, I'm with you. There were some rough spots in 2019, too. But by and large, the offerings of Horror Nights and Fright Fest aren't even in the same league.

Reactions: Nico and Jake S
Well of course they're not in the same league, but to be fair... Fright Fest relies less on masks & more on make-up/prosthetics. While HHN struggles to have SZs, Fright Fest doesn't.

Despite struggling operations, the event has A LOT of positives that people tend to "forget".

Well of course they're not in the same league, but to be fair... Fright Fest relies less on masks & more on make-up/prosthetics. While HHN struggles to have SZs, Fright Fest doesn't.

Despite struggling operations, the event has A LOT of positives that people tend to "forget".

Okay, but the makeup and prosthetics don't look especially great outside a handful of key characters. Whenever I've attended Fright Fest (three separate years over the last decade), the scare zones have been sparsely populated or feel abandoned entirely.

Fright Fest has a lot of great stuff on paper. It's in the execution where it collapses, every time.

the scare zones have been sparsely populated or feel abandoned entirely.
HHN has had this problem for years as well (minus the "chainsaw chase out" at the end of the night), especially as we've seen them decrease in number/size. Even Knott's has staffing issues (but that's another nightmare entirely).

A few of the SZs hold up as nice atmospheric walk-throughs, HHN can't say the same (at least not since the loss of Baker Street). Although, Knott's has them both beat in that department.

My biggest nitpick with Fright Fest is the lack of atmospheric lighting in the non-SZ areas, especially since darkness + hills aren't a great combo. If Disney can get away with "Villains Grove", Six Flags can put those new solar panels to use for spooky light enhancements!

but if the quality actually goes up
*Narrator* It didn't.

Not trying to crap on FF just because, but they have a LONG way to go before they even reach KSF level. I think KSF is barely reaching HHN level in terms of sets and that took them a LONG time. Some magic leap for FF just isn't going to happen simply because they got some new shiny IPs, despite some minor optimism in here lol

Amidst all of this IP talk, I completely missed the part that Fright Fest is now a hard ticket event.

$75 seems a little steep (Should be $50 IMO), but if the quality actually goes up, I might consider it.
It isn't a hard ticket event tho if I read the info correctly. Passholders still get in and have to pay for a maze pass. Given the percentage of guests with season passes at Six flags I doubt people who have been going for years see much of a difference. I imagine this will generate for revenue from one time guests who can't apply the full ticket to a season pass that wouldn't buy one beforehand to add the maze pass on the event night.

I always found and probably will continue to find Knott's as being the best deal. I think on average they offer the best entertainment in California and the houses are at or above universal often, with the caveot being staffing is worse and not everything is new every year but as a out of stat visitor likely once every 2 or 3 years it's going to be pretty much the best collection in the country for me.

Being able to do the buffet with the drink bottle, get in early to get a late ride on ghost rider, get early access to 4 houses, get the rest done by 9, and then do all the other entertainment and the two themed rides generally has been the best night I have ever had at a Halloween event.

I had a six flags pass with a dining plan last year and got the maze pass and the express add on for about $30 (a deal). But given the trek up as a tourist and quality I would almost rather do two nights at Knott's.

Reactions: Wesker69
Fright Fest has improved over the years. Nobody should be downplaying that. So much resistance to accept that the event has grown. Fright Fest is at least trying.

I'll be the first to :poop: on LAHH, but that's also because I worked it (and STILL haunted by that experience. Story for another time). However, I do acknowledge the overhaul the dumpster fire event has gotten since 2015 (now that 13 Productions took over).

Considering Disney charges $130+ for their mediocre 4hr "After Dark" events (9pm-1am) & Oogie Boogie Bash (7pm-11pm), a $75 (or $115 express) ticket is fairly reasonable for Fright Fest (7pm-1/2am) considering your getting 8 houses & 7 SZs (+ the coasters & flat rides for those that want to waste valuable haunt time).

No matter how much you want to give pushback & resistance to the "quality", the price is justified. You're just offended that what was once practically handed to you on a silver platter for "nearly free", now requires a separate ticket like the other 3 events (4 counting DH). It's not going to improve overnight.

Fright Fest has improved over the years. Nobody should be downplaying that. So much resistance to accept that the event has grown. Fright Fest is at least trying.

I'll be the first to :poop: on LAHH, but that's also because I worked it (and STILL haunted by that experience. Story for another time). However, I do acknowledge the overhaul the dumpster fire event has gotten since 2015 (now that 13 Productions took over).

Considering Disney charges $130+ for their mediocre 4hr "After Dark" events (9pm-1am) & Oogie Boogie Bash (7pm-11pm), a $75 (or $115 express) ticket is fairly reasonable for Fright Fest (7pm-1/2am) considering your getting 8 houses & 7 SZs (+ the coasters & flat rides for those that want to waste valuable haunt time).

No matter how much you want to give pushback & resistance to the "quality", the price is justified. You're just offended that what was once practically handed to you on a silver platter for "nearly free", now requires a separate ticket like the other 3 events (4 counting DH). It's not going to improve overnight.
I get what you are saying but sfmm still has to prove to guests they are going to be make a better commitment to the Halloween event over multiple years before they will see a large attendance boost. I wouldn't be offended to pay for this event at said enhancements as a passholder already, but can I convince non passholders friends to come?

Reactions: Clive