Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island Movie

So found out why Universal was keen to let the rights go to WB. Universal gets a cut regardless who distributes for all Monsterverse films same with WB. It was the deal for "leasing" Kong to Warner Bros.

Its doing surprisingly well critically with an 83% fresh with critics enjoying and being rated 6.2/10. A lot of people who have seen it are saying its just a really fun movie no meaning behind it just fun to watch.

Its doing surprisingly well critically with an 83% fresh with critics enjoying and being rated 6.2/10. A lot of people who have seen it are saying its just a really fun movie no meaning behind it just fun to watch.
I don't know how you're saying this is doing well and BATB isn't when the latter has a higher average.

I don't know how you're saying this is doing well and BATB isn't when the latter has a higher average.

Difference, Kong:Skull Island isn't a remake of a beloved film that many people who are going to see it grew up with. Remember when people say when certain films come out, it ruined their childhood from being so bad, its due to nostaglia which BATB has. This has no nostalgia other than Kong being a huge ape. Also Whereas the other has a higher average by .3 a higher percent of critics reviewed it positively for the same number of reviews +/- 1 or 2.

This also was expected to be bad where as BATB had the exceptations to be phemonal.

Difference, Kong:Skull Island isn't a remake of a beloved film that many people who are going to see it grew up with. Remember when people say when certain films come out, it ruined their childhood from being so bad, its due to nostaglia which BATB has. This has no nostalgia other than Kong being a huge ape. Also Whereas the other has a higher average by .3 a higher percent of critics reviewed it positively for the same number of reviews +/- 1 or 2.

This also was expected to be bad where as BATB had the exceptations to be phemonal.
Uh, not really. The trailers are great.

Just got back and It's a really fun over the top B-style flick. Just picture Apocalypes Now but with a giant ape. Wait til after the credits ;)

I saw this earlier. It's fine but nothing special. This and Godzilla are about even, but I prefer the latter for being more interesting in its directorial choices.

The movie was unexpectedly really fun and didn't take itself seriously at all. Definitely more inspired by 70's monster movies than anything else. It had some beautiful shots in it too, but doesn't hold a candle to King Kong (2005) for me.

Last edited:
#1 this weekend.

From BoxOfficeMojo:
Warner Bros and Legendary's Kong: Skull Island delivered a strong opening weekend performance, topping the weekend box office and becoming the third film in as many weeks to outperform expectations.With an estimated $61 million, WB and Legendary's Kong: Skull Island finished atop the weekend box office, delivering $15,865 per theater, from 3,846 locations.

I thought the movie was a total blast. The characters are pretty bland (though the cast is very game) and the midsection is a little sluggish, but all of the monster mayhem is terrific. It's certainly in the better half of King Kong films.

I saw it tonight and thought it was good. The cinematography early in the movie was quite good and unique.

As a completely off topic note, after watching this movie, I can see Tom Hiddleston being James Bond even though it wasn't the same kind of role.

I must admit I was completely wrong about this film. I thought it would bomb, but it's doing great business. I figured I better apologize to the big guy (Kong):hail: , especially since he's way bigger than he used to be. Gotta be those medicine woman's jungle steroids. :)

The people on the island with paint on them that visually blend into the appearance of the wall seem like something that could appear in the queue of an attraction. Those paintings on those stones that look different depending on what angle they are looked at also seem like something interesting for a queue. I wonder if Universal is planning on putting something to do with Kong or Skull Island in Beijing or elsewhere. John C. Reilly's character says there is no violence as well so it's kind of like it's better than many places in the world in some ways there. They are still officially communist in China in some sense I believe, but kind of have some capitalist aspects to their economy. I'm not sure what the Chinese government would think about the people on the island not believing in property and seeming better than much of the world in some ways.

If they were to build the area where the people on the island lived as an area in a park it wouldn't make much sense for them to sell things at the area to visitors if the island area is supposed to take place during the same time as the movie takes place. Maybe they could also build an area based on where they were before getting on a boat to go to Skull Island which I think was somewhere in South Vietnam.

The helicopters when they are going to the island and face Kong could be an interesting thing to make a ride out of.

You could also maybe have people get into one or more boats that are pulled along by the boat John C. Reilly's character built with his friend. This might require people to imagine something different happening from what occurs in the movie if guests are supposed to imagine they are like the soldiers and researchers in the movie that arrive on the island. Or visitors could imagine they arrived on the island somehow earlier than the soldiers and researchers from the Skull Island movie.

Either way visitors could be on a boat ride attraction of some sort and be pulled along and see various creatures on the island like Kong, giant ox-like creatures, an octopus, Skullcrawlers, and maybe creatures that aren't seen in the movie.