Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 196 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Check page 190, post 3792

Edit: if you were wanted just the date he originally posted it, it's not on that post. Someone quoted the original there, though the date isn't listed on the quote. I thought it might have been.

Thank you so very much. I lost track of the last five pages and was looking for a diagram from early (apparently P.115). You guys are awesome.

That's exactly why my hype for Kong is at a minimum. I definitely want to ride it no doubt but Gringotts was underwhelming for me and still is. I read a bunch of glowing reviews before I rode it. Friends I knew in person said it was the best ride in the entire resort. I went on it and immediately thought, that's it? Short, has lame pacing idk the end part is fun but it's not a ride I have to catch each time I go.

I'm sure Kong will blow me away like Forbidden Journey. Hopefully.
I'm trying to be on your level so much. I was beyond hyped for gringotts and with so many trusted opinions just claiming it was "the best ride in the resort" and "nothing can top this" going all over it, I had every reason to be. It seems like with any new ride coming out phrases like that are thrown about, remember when people were freaking out about how revolutionary transformers was even though it was a clone and a ride with the same system is less than a mile away from it? FJ is still the only ride that's lived up to the hype for me.

It sounds self absorbent to say this but seriously trust your own gut. If someone is telling you to be excited about something then take it with a grain of salt unless something that person says legitametely makes you excited. I feel like my excitement for Kong is above and beyond but this time, for the right reasons. The Kong story inspired me to become a film maker at a young age, I'd be nowhere without it. To see something so close to your heart being built on such a huge scale at your favorite park in Orlando...I'm excited to say the least. That and the ride just sounds awesome through pretty much every single thing shared about it. If it sucks, it'll be the disapointment of the century for me and I'll forever be upset with it. However I'm positive, hoping for the best and ready to love it with huge open arms. Just a few more months dammit!!!

I am a bit worried about Kong as well. The actual theme, set, and RV's look incredible but from what I've heard, the ride won't be too "thrilling". As in, the RV's don't move that much and there's a lot of stops. I do not want a copy of Transformers or Spider-Man. I know it most likely won't be, but I would love a unique experience. The reason us Universal fans are so let down by new attractions is honestly because of FJ. Robotic arms? Animatronic dragons, dementors, and spiders? Fire?! It has it all. I'd be surprised if Kong, with its very inflexible RV's, can provide that same thrill.

Then again, I'm not all that knowledgeable about this stuff. You can roast me all you want - but for some strange reason, as it gets closer to opening, I'm getting less and less excited about it (what?!).

I am a bit worried about Kong as well. The actual theme, set, and RV's look incredible but from what I've heard, the ride won't be too "thrilling". As in, the RV's don't move that much and there's a lot of stops. I do not want a copy of Transformers or Spider-Man. I know it most likely won't be, but I would love a unique experience. The reason us Universal fans are so let down by new attractions is honestly because of FJ. Robotic arms? Animatronic dragons, dementors, and spiders? Fire?! It has it all. I'd be surprised if Kong, with its very inflexible RV's, can provide that same thrill.

Then again, I'm not all that knowledgeable about this stuff. You can roast me all you want - but for some strange reason, as it gets closer to opening, I'm getting less and less excited about it (what?!).
We're lucky Kong isn't on a guided track. We're lucky to even get this version of a Kong ride. We're lucky to even be getting a Kong ride! We're lucky to even be getting a ride without losing a ride.
See that's how I look at it from an overall standpoint. Sure, we're all going to pick at the things WE wish we could have a say so or alter, but all in all, we're getting another attraction.
Thrill or not, it gives EVERYBODY something else to do between Jurassic Park and Toon that doesn't involve getting wet. There will be people thrilled with that option. lol

That is very true. I just know I'm building up extreme expectations. People have told me this ride will be "the best theme park attraction in the world", the "scariest theme park attraction in the world" and so on. Now that I have that information absorbed, I can't lower my expectations. So I just know that when I ride it I'll end up being disappointed. Not saying that Kong will be bad ride - no, not at all. It will be amazing. I'm very pessimistic, I guess. I trust that UC has created a truly incredible experience for everyone.

I would love a unique experience. The reason us Universal fans are so let down by new attractions is honestly because of FJ. Robotic arms? Animatronic dragons, dementors, and spiders? Fire?! It has it all. I'd be surprised if Kong, with its very inflexible RV's, can provide that same thrill.

It's not supposed to be thrilling, though.

My excitement comes mostly from the possibility the sum total of this attraction's experience will be very different from anything else at the Universal Orlando resort. It kind of promises to be a little bit of everything. Screens,a couple AA's( one very massive), massive sets, fire and other special effects, live characters in either the queue and/or the ride itself, a great queue experience, with a tinge of eerie fear,a really cool story line, and some fun generating RV's mixed together in a ride that's apx. 2 minutes longer than FJ, Gringotts, SpiderMan or Transformers. The demographic segment that probably won't be fulfilled, as was the case with Gringott's, is the thrill seeker coaster crowd. But, that's not what this attraction is about. So, if you're a person that thrills are the prime criteria for an attraction's allure, it's probably best to lower or temper expectations, otherwise you'll be disappointed. Myself, I'm sure I'll love this attraction. I'm always happy for a new E ticket. That's enough in itself for me.

I like to think Kong will give Forbidden Journey and Spiderman a run for their money in terms of "best ride" but i'm tempering any such expectation because of the reality of the situation.

It will certainly be more accessible, which is also important.

And from a sheer logistic standpoint it's filling out the loop the way World Showcase at Epcot -still- hasn't. A tiny-tiny part of the guest flow into Potter comes from the JP side comparatively. This should balance things out better.

I just know I'm building up extreme expectations. People have told me this ride will be "the best theme park attraction in the world", the "scariest theme park attraction in the world" and so on.

Yeah, you might want to dial your expectations way way back. Even I won't say that this is going to be a great attraction. I've hinted at what sound like compelling elements, but whether or not they will deliver, I have no idea.

It's not supposed to be thrilling, though.

What? The 360 part is supposed to be thrilling, unless you are working under a different definition than I.

Which in turn I think will play against Kong at IOA. It has an impressive facade and reportedly elaborate interior queue. That along with seeing the massive vehicles will create a lot of anticipation. It's different from getting on a tram and the tram suddenly doing the unexpected.

Also - I noticed a few posts back that on the turns the tire marks have fattened at some points. This suggests they've modified the tracking to be more natural with the front and rear wheels not following exactly the same route.

I don't consider jostling around in front of a screen thrilling. I honestly wouldn't consider Spidey, TF, or FJ thrilling either

Speed, drops, etc means thrilling to me

Yeah, I figured that is what you meant but was waiting for you to say it. Some horror movies and action films have been described as thrilling for decades. I will let others describe their expectations of the word thrilling.

Reactions: Cole
We're talking the difference between visceral thrills (movement) and emotional thrills (psychological - fear, excitement, etc...)

Just so it's all defined and pretty on the page.

Oh and you also have the WDI coined aspirational thrill. It's a minor version of a bigger concept - a small drop, a short period of tension - that introduces an audience to a concept but doesn't overwhelm them. They use it to spice up "kiddie rides" while not eliminating the kid from riding it.

Reactions: Brervixen
Which in turn I think will play against Kong at IOA. It has an impressive facade and reportedly elaborate interior queue. That along with seeing the massive vehicles will create a lot of anticipation. It's different from getting on a tram and the tram suddenly doing the unexpected.

I think this is why they're upping the scare factor. The thrills will come more from the visuals and story-centric twist and turns. The 360 portion no doubt will tickle most people -- it's mild fun no matter what -- but I guess they're really betting on this attraction psychologically thrilling the guest.

Hell, this might really just be their attempt to finally do the concept of Revenge of the Mummy right, albeit without the coaster.