Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I consider Jimmy Neutron a NEW attraction. Simpsons was a NEW attraction. Just because the ride system doesn't change doesn't mean it's not a new attraction. An upgrade maintains the original attraction at its story-based core but upgrades it in various ways (see The Haunted Mansion or the recent Spider-Man upgrades). Jimmy Neutron, aside from its use of the simulator pods, is nothing like Hanna-Barbara. Star Tours 2 is a new attraction in my eyes since it completely transformed and is a different experience than Star Tours 1 - it's a totally different ride film with a different queue and different characters. Despicable Me will be a new attraction, Spider-Man HD will not.

I consider Jimmy Neutron a NEW attraction. Simpsons was a NEW attraction. Just because the ride system doesn't change doesn't mean it's not a new attraction. An upgrade maintains the original attraction at its story-based core but upgrades it in various ways (see The Haunted Mansion or the recent Spider-Man upgrades). Jimmy Neutron, aside from its use of the simulator pods, is nothing like Hanna-Barbara. Star Tours 2 is a new attraction in my eyes since it completely transformed and is a different experience than Star Tours 1 - it's a totally different ride film with a different queue and different characters. Despicable Me will be a new attraction, Spider-Man HD will not.

:iagree:

Couldn't have sad it better myself.

this confuses me to no end

People saw more than what was actually there with the clue Universal put out about Jimmy's replacement. A lot of people thought there was a minion hidden in the window, and that that was the clue, but there was nothing there. jtsalien is saying that we should not see more than what is here with Spider-Man, ie., we should not expect more to change with the ride than actually will, something I completely agree with.

Just to clarify this Universal marketing did confirm there WAS indeed a Minion in the window. Trying to find the link now.

I too think that Star Tours 2 is a new ride. It does take advantage of what was already set up (The queue, the simulators, etc) but added new things to each area (new screens, new effects, new theming, new lighting). While I can understand why some would consider it the same old Star Tours (It still has that Star Tours feel) the overall experience is a completely new exhilarating one. Disney took what was essentially a refurb/upgrade and turned it into a brand new exciting experience for the fans. Simply put....no matter which way you choose to view it: Star Tours 2= WIIN!!!

I know i will get some stick for saying this, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am looking forward to this, i thought the ride was good but not amazing like most people said it was, so hopefully this new upgrade will change my mind.

rode it today. saw the new projections. not too impressed. i can see the pixels and it bothers me really bad. they are huge when you are that close. compared to film being projected which is a lot softer.

rode it today. saw the new projections. not too impressed. i can see the pixels and it bothers me really bad. they are huge when you are that close. compared to film being projected which is a lot softer.

They aren't finished with the upgrades yet. They are re-animating it to get the full use out of their new hd projectors

What confuses me is how they could possibly be using the new projectors already. A. The old films required TWO projectors per screen, The new system requires only one projector to function. B. The old system worked via polarization, the new system does not. So, they either remastered the old film into one digital film and replaced the color wavelength wheel with a polarization wheel (which I don't believe would work) or they are currently using one digital projector and one old style digital projector. Regardless, none of it makes sense. The glasses have not been changed so it is still a polarized projection. Who is it that knows for a fact that they have installed the new HD projectors? How do you know this?

Why would they spend 1 million on new projectors a year before they had a use for them?

Last edited: