Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Rode today and for the first time in a while, me and my friend went through the regular line. After you went through the cubicle section, they had a merchandise TM stopping people, and there was a new green screen with a rope hanging down. The TM asked us how many, and we grabbed onto the rope pretending like we were holding on for dear life, and another TM took our picture, then handed us a ticket. I almost thought it was something new being tested for the ride, but then I saw that you go to the front of the park to see it. We didn't check it out, but I thought it was interesting that it was being done in the line. Not sure if they'll use it everyday or not.

That's terrible. Has no place in line.

Universal has come so far, and then they have brain farts like this.

Rode today and for the first time in a while, me and my friend went through the regular line. After you went through the cubicle section, they had a merchandise TM stopping people, and there was a new green screen with a rope hanging down. The TM asked us how many, and we grabbed onto the rope pretending like we were holding on for dear life, and another TM took our picture, then handed us a ticket. I almost thought it was something new being tested for the ride, but then I saw that you go to the front of the park to see it. We didn't check it out, but I thought it was interesting that it was being done in the line. Not sure if they'll use it everyday or not.

I don't see how that's a good idea...at all.

If this is happening while I'm there next week, I will be complaining.

You have every right. This is the one of the dumbest things I've heard in a theme park. Let's make the line longer for one the most popular attractions while forcing guests into an unwanted, inconvenient photo op.

Wow, seriously? I'm expecting a lot more than just updated projectors if that's the case.

Well with brand new animation, you need brand new ride programming. I'm sure they wanna get that perfect before opening. I wouldn't be surprised if they spruce up the fire and other physical effects. But please, please, please, let them repaint the queue :lol:

Well with brand new animation, you need brand new ride programming. I'm sure they wanna get that perfect before opening. I wouldn't be surprised if they spruce up the fire and other physical effects. But please, please, please, let them repaint the queue :lol:

I don't think it's going to be different programming. I think the videos will be the same, just different graphical levels.

I don't think it's going to be different programming. I think the videos will be the same, just different graphical levels.

With the nature of the ride though, I think you need to at least heavily test the new animation. Even if they know what they're doing this time, it's not easy to make 3D work while you're moving. I think they're gonna have to tweak things a little. Just to make sure everything looks and feels right. With the way they have to stretch and squash things, I think it's something you really have to experience to make sure you got it right.

I agree with this. I also can't see the park closing one of their most popular rides for 6 months. Remember, this is also the park that operated Hulk everyday for 10 years, even in it's deplorable condition. When I worked in Marvel, Hulk wouldn't open with the park sometimes because they would still be welding the track together. I'm pretty sure Universal will do whatever it takes to keep Spiderman open everyday.

I agree with this. I also can't see the park closing one of their most popular rides for 6 months. Remember, this is also the park that operated Hulk everyday for 10 years, even in it's deplorable condition. When I worked in Marvel, Hulk wouldn't open with the park sometimes because they would still be welding the track together. I'm pretty sure Universal will do whatever it takes to keep Spiderman open everyday.

I do agree and disagree yes the universal "today" most of the time forgets the brain and looks at the $$$, but I do have to say with all the new rides and shows rumors and updates I feel like we might start seeing a smarter Universal. Someone who wants to take care of things and do it right.

I agree with the "NEW" Universal. As a frequent guest I can attest they have really CHANGED a few things in the way they go about taking care or handling things. As far as the 6 month deal, yeah no. Now six WEEKS sounds better :thumbs:

I could see the 6 month closure being possible. I mean Star Tours received new projectors and video as well and that took a few months. Even if all the action is the same as the old videos on Spidey they still need to make sure the cars are syncing up with the new stuff. It will give them plenty of time to refurb everything else as well and maybe there are some surprises in store.

6 months does seem like alot of downtime for one of the park's signature rides, but with Potter still drawing massive crowds, maybe Universal doesn't mind an extended refurb period for Spidey. If 6 months is indeed true, then I would suspect great things when Spidey finally reopens.

Any idea when this downtime is going to occur? I suspect January. Just shortly after the holiday season and Grinchmas; which would give it a reopening time around June, the start of the busy summer season.

6 months does seem like alot of downtime for one of the park's signature rides, but with Potter still drawing massive crowds, maybe Universal doesn't mind an extended refurb period for Spidey. If 6 months is indeed true, then I would suspect great things when Spidey finally reopens.

Any idea when this downtime is going to occur? I suspect January. Just shortly after the holiday season and Grinchmas; which would give it a reopening time around June, the start of the busy summer season.

My friend told me they told him starting in January he is probably getting moved to JP while its closed.

keeping my fingers crossed that its a 6 week rehab and not 6 months. Going to Orlando in April with a bunch of first timers and It would be sad if both Spiderman and Test Track are down while we are there.