Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I'd put my money on an Incredibles overlay of Star Tours if the sequel does well.

A 2020 closing with 2021 opening (Star Tours to Star Tours 2 took eight months) would fit right in with Disney's confusing habit of capitalizing on their IP's three years late (Gotg, Frozen), and allows them to have a new offering for the 50th.

Obviously the second part is unrelated to the choice of IP, but Incredibles would be my guess, as they've already deemed it to be Tomorrowland appropriate, what with the dance party and all.

I'd put my money on an Incredibles overlay of Star Tours if the sequel does well.

A 2020 closing with 2021 opening (Star Tours to Star Tours 2 took eight months) would fit right in with Disney's confusing habit of capitalizing on their IP's three years late (Gotg, Frozen), and allows them to have a new offering for the 50th.

Obviously the second part is unrelated to the choice of IP, but Incredibles would be my guess, as they've already deemed it to be Tomorrowland appropriate, what with the dance party and all.
Yea, Incredibles has been my guess.

Maybe along with a tear down and new attractions for the Sounds Damgerous theater and Frozen singalong theater to make a new land down that road.

I can't see it either. Disney probably wish they could convert it to the Iron Man ride but seeing as how it wouldn't be allowed in WDW and Marvel Land getting built in DCA, it's a non starter.
It would be easier sure, but a film for this simulator is not that expensive to produce. The exterior theming and queue theming is where most of the money will be spent for whatever replaces ST.

A 2020 closing with 2021 opening (Star Tours to Star Tours 2 took eight months) would fit right in with Disney's confusing habit of capitalizing on their IP's three years late (Gotg, Frozen)
Honestly Disney is moving at a perfectly normal pace for integrating new IP into the parks (Frozen had it's ride open right around 2.5 years after the films theatrical release). Going by your logic, why has it taken until 2018 for Universal to open a Fast & Furious attraction? ;)

Just because an IP is new and hot doesn't mean that it will sustain itself over time. Hell, Mickey will be 91 by the time he finally has a Dark Ride.

Last edited:
It would be easier sure, but a film for this simulator is not that expensive to produce. The exterior theming and queue theming is where most of the money will be spent for whatever replaces ST.

Honestly Disney is moving at a perfectly normal pace for integrating new IP into the parks (Frozen had it's ride open right around 2.5 years after the films theatrical release). Going by your logic, why has it taken until 2018 for Universal to open a Fast & Furious attraction? ;)

Just because an IP is new and hot doesn't mean that it will sustain itself over time. Hell, Mickey will be 91 by the time he finally has a Dark Ride.

If there's an expensive way to produce a film, I'm sure Disney will find it.

Bring back Body Wars!

I'm speaking more in the terms of that they tend to wait and then rush to come up with overlays, which is how you get Frozenstrom and the Tower of Rocket Raccoon.

If they were opening purpose-built attractions after the release of their films, I'd be more on board with their pace. They knew very quickly after the movie opened that they wanted Frozen in the parks in a permanent way. 3 years later, we got an overlay.

I'm speaking more in the terms of that they tend to wait and then rush to come up with overlays, which is how you get Frozenstrom and the Tower of Rocket Raccoon.

If they were opening purpose-built attractions after the release of their films, I'd be more on board with their pace. They knew very quickly after the movie opened that they wanted Frozen in the parks in a permanent way. 3 years later, we got an overlay.
You can't have it both ways. You can't say that they are waiting too long but an overlay is too cheap of them and they are rushing themselves.

Quality takes time.

Based on the most recent aerials from Bio on his Twitter, it seems as if there will only be two Millennium Falcon simulators considering there are only two circular platforms in the pictures. Weren't there rumored to be 4? Judging by the concept art it appears that there will only be about 6 people per cockpit so I'm confused as to how this is going to work...? This will probably be one of the most popular rides at Walt Disney World when it opens so trying to figure out how capacity is going to work.

Based on the most recent aerials from Bio on his Twitter, it seems as if there will only be two Millennium Falcon simulators considering there are only two circular platforms in the pictures. Weren't there rumored to be 4? Judging by the concept art it appears that there will only be about 6 people per cockpit so I'm confused as to how this is going to work...? This will probably be one of the most popular rides at Walt Disney World when it opens so trying to figure out how capacity is going to work.
There are four circles visible in aerials.

The two in the foreground are farther along, but two more can be seen on top-right of image, just in earlier stages of construction:

We should also remember that there will be many RVs going along those circles at once. It will be a simulator, but the loading process will be similar to Carousel of Progress from what I gather.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that they are waiting too long but an overlay is too cheap of them and they are rushing themselves.

Quality takes time.
I'm not trying to have it both ways. What I'm trying to say is that they often corner themselves by delaying and delaying until the higher ups demand a new E-Ticket NOW, which results in half-baked overlays. There's no problem with a (new) ride concept taking a long time to complete.

They are rushing to complete Mickey now because they didn't start building it last year when they knew full well that they wanted it open in time for Star Wars Land. Waiting too long on new concepts results in rushed, usually cheaper, overlays. See Frozen Ever After and Mission: Breakout.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to have it both ways. What I'm trying to say is that they often corner themselves by delaying and delaying until the higher ups demand a new E-Ticket NOW, which results in half-baked overlays. There's no problem with a (new) ride concept taking a long time to complete.

They are rushing to complete Mickey now because they didn't start building it last year when they knew full well that they wanted it open in time for Star Wars Land. Waiting too long on new concepts results in rushed, usually cheaper, overlays. See Frozen Ever After and Mission: Breakout.
I don't think they gave themselves too little time with FEA or M:B though. Breakout was mostly aesthetic changes with only slight tweaks to the ride portion.

I think they will definitely be cutting it close with Mickey, but they should have enough time since the whole ride building is being scrapped, including the ride floor, unlike Maelstrom.

I get your point of them cutting it close too often and Mickey will probably be the same. UoE is an example of closing earlier than they probably needed too though, for example.

What is the speculation on what the Millennium Falcon ride system will be? Having trouble really grasping how this ride is suppose to work. Based on the concept art it seems like individual cabins with their own screens would work the best since you can 'control' the ride. I don't know how they would do that with multiple ride vehicles looking at one screen. However based on construction its pretty clear there will be some kind of circular arrangement. So what are the possibilities?

1. Centrifuges similar to Mission Space
2. Individual cabins moving along a track slowly so they all load/unload at one spot but still have individual screens and full range of motion
3. Individual cabins stationed in a circle and all load/unload at different spots (similar to star tours)
4. Large omni domed screens with the simulators in the center (doubtful)
5. Something else the world has never seen

Number 2 seems the most likely scenario to me but I have to wonder if that is over complicating a ride system that could of just been a much more advanced Star Tours cabin type system. Although simulators on a track is nothing new, looking at you MGM Grand Adventures!

What is the speculation on what the Millennium Falcon ride system will be? Having trouble really grasping how this ride is suppose to work. Based on the concept art it seems like individual cabins with their own screens would work the best since you can 'control' the ride. I don't know how they would do that with multiple ride vehicles looking at one screen. However based on construction its pretty clear there will be some kind of circular arrangement. So what are the possibilities?

1. Centrifuges similar to Mission Space
2. Individual cabins moving along a track slowly so they all load/unload at one spot but still have individual screens and full range of motion
3. Individual cabins stationed in a circle and all load/unload at different spots (similar to star tours)
4. Large omni domed screens with the simulators in the center (doubtful)
5. Something else the world has never seen

Number 2 seems the most likely scenario to me but I have to wonder if that is over complicating a ride system that could of just been a much more advanced Star Tours cabin type system. Although simulators on a track is nothing new, looking at you MGM Grand Adventures!
Number 2 has been my guess, with a range like Forbidden Journey - like Sum of all Thrills on a track. But I could be wrong.

There are no centrifuges on the Falcon ride.

Hmm, I kinda assumed they'd pop into them for the jump to light speed.

Since you mentioned something akin to COP - perhaps something like the original Journey where a stationary scene is shown while the vehicles travel around? But in this case the "scene" is load/unload?

Hmm, I kinda assumed they'd pop into them for the jump to light speed.

Since you mentioned something akin to COP - perhaps something like the original Journey where a stationary scene is shown while the vehicles travel around? But in this case the "scene" is load/unload?
I couldn't possibly answer any specifics. All the things I have stated about these rides come from what @Marni1971 has said.