Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 316 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Grain of salt obviously:

I don't hate it.

When GE was being thought up - they had just seen the immense success of Force Awakens and thought “man - people love these new characters”. They never could have predicted the divisiveness that followed with TLJ and Rise. So in a way - as much of a nerd as I am - I’d rather they go with loose canon like Harry Potter did. It will help the land age much better as time goes on.

I had the thought that IS why he is gone. Stars aligned and he didn't like the struggle to get his way. He's been very vocal about why Zoo has no place in a zoo.
Ya I wonder if Chapek is gonna piss off all top talent to leave. Not that Universal needs help clearly but I mean... a few phone calls may not hurt. Especially planning EU and beyond.

Ya I wonder if Chapek is gonna piss off all top talent to leave. Not that Universal needs help clearly but I mean... a few phone calls may not hurt. Especially planning EU and beyond.

My only concern if I were Universal would be the impact on the culture. Disney's budget overruns are not exactly glowing endorsements when taken in conjunction with the final products. I would focus more on the mid-level tiers or just stand pat with the team I already have.

My only concern if I were Universal would be the impact on the culture. Disney's budget overruns are not exactly glowing endorsements when taken in conjunction with the final products. I would focus more on the mid-level tiers or just stand pat with the team I already have.
Not saying call Rhode specifically, but is Rhode the reason for over spending? I see that more as a higher up issue, where he is head of creative. Maybe I have a poor idea of his job. To my knowledge, he makes proposals, they give him cuts, he adjusts accordingly, and so on and so forth. I don't think he's the issue there but I may be wrong.

Not saying call Rhode specifically, but is Rhode the reason for over spending? I see that more as a higher up issue, where he is head of creative. Maybe I have a poor idea of his job. To my knowledge, he makes proposals, they give him cuts, he adjusts accordingly, and so on and so forth. I don't think he's the issue there but I may be wrong.
Not Joe’s fault - it’s the culmination of years of no accountability for their overhead driven by the fact that WDI charges off all of its costs to sites. The big culprits are:

1) Over-engineering: look at the structure of a Disney show building versus a Universal show building. A lot of extra money for not a lot of extra utility.
2) Layers upon layers of salaries: in addition to the big salaries of the well-known people, there are lots of well-compensated middle and low tier folks. Have an intern you want to keep? Create a new position and charge them off to a project, nobody will ever know.
3) As I’ve mentioned before here and will not be going into more detail, usually +30% of any project cost you hear online goes toward two line items that are not WDI’s fault.

2 and 3 combined are at least 50% of any given project. Sometimes a clean-out that would look bad from the outside would actually be a good thing.

When GE was being thought up - they had just seen the immense success of Force Awakens and thought “man - people love these new characters”. They never could have predicted the divisiveness that followed with TLJ and Rise. So in a way - as much of a nerd as I am - I’d rather they go with loose canon like Harry Potter did. It will help the land age much better as time goes on.
It was always going toward new trilogy even before the film came out, but there was a probably misplaced notion that new trilogy would be just as successful over the long term as the old. In hindsight, where that went wrong was thinking that the new trilogy would make up 33% of the Star Wars anthology as opposed to the three new movies being a drop in the bucket of the entire Star Wars universe. Fans can just ignore them because there’s so much else to focus on.

It also didn’t help that the “timeless” elements of the land - stormtroopers, droids, etc. - all got cut. They need to be flexible with it and loosen the canon so it holds up over time.

Last edited:
Grain of salt obviously:

I don't hate it.

FWIW, "WDWPro"--used to be on Magic, now on the Pirates & Princesses site--has a lot better recent track record than Jim Hill, and said largely the same thing. Handsome Josh tasked with adding characters from Mando ASAP, changes to Smugglers Run eventually when money available. He suggested RotR area may stay themed to sequel trilogy, with marketplace area becoming Mando-era, but not sure if that's a plan or just WDWPro spitballing.

To bring up that article if anyone wants to take a read.

My honest take--comes to that I have believed that is the key for making Galaxy's Edge popular, is to not make it dedicated to one particular moment of Star Wars. This seems like an extremely logical move with the Sequel trilogy done and dealt with. Plus, when you are timeless, you are more synegetical. And in the process, you can market the land and attractions with the potential crossover with any future projects from Lucasfilm.

To bring up that article if anyone wants to take a read.

My honest take--comes to that I have believed that is the key for making Galaxy's Edge popular, is to not make it dedicated to one particular moment of Star Wars. This seems like an extremely logical move with the Sequel trilogy done and dealt with. Plus, when you are timeless, you are more synegetical. And in the process, you can market the land and attractions with the potential crossover with any future projects from Lucasfilm.
Seeing how they eventually added in/changed Star Tours from prequel to sequel trilogy WITHOUT removing prequel era theming, should give us an idea of what we could see happen to Galaxy's Edge as marketing shifts from new trilogy to new shared D+ universe.

Reactions: SeventyOne
FWIW, "WDWPro"--used to be on Magic, now on the Pirates & Princesses site--has a lot better recent track record than Jim Hill, and said largely the same thing. Handsome Josh tasked with adding characters from Mando ASAP, changes to Smugglers Run eventually when money available. He suggested RotR area may stay themed to sequel trilogy, with marketplace area becoming Mando-era, but not sure if that's a plan or just WDWPro spitballing.
Well, tbh, that part of Galaxy's Edge already looks pretty close to that of the marketplace on Nevarro in Mando. What I don't get though is why they would replace Kylo's ship with the Razor Crest when the Razor Crest is already blown up. Although I guess I would be a sucker for a Mando-themed stunt show, so if we could get that, bring it on.

Well, tbh, that part of Galaxy's Edge already looks pretty close to that of the marketplace on Nevarro in Mando. What I don't get though is why they would replace Kylo's ship with the Razor Crest when the Razor Crest is already blown up. Although I guess I would be a sucker for a Mando-themed stunt show, so if we could get that, bring it on.
Yeah, I would think they’d go with that other ship that recently appeared on the show at this point.

Honestly, though, I’d bet nothing in the land physically changes and Smuggler’s Run gets an update featuring one of the four Mando-related shows. Hondo could feasibly run into any of the main characters and it make sense, and whoever’s not part of the mission could be a walk around character.

That certainly stretches the timeline a bit, but it wouldn’t be as jarring as a Vader meet and greet next to Rise.

Reactions: Alessio
Slave 1. It originally appeared briefly in Empire Strikes Back and was also in Attack of the Clones.

It'd certainly be a ship that could work in the scenario of moving from using FIrst Order getup. Especially if they take the town back a few years before First Order/Empire took control of things.

Plus, could allow them to tie things into more of the bounty hunting side of the planet.

Reactions: Alessio