"Summer of Survival" | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

"Summer of Survival"

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
USH's website has now been updated to promote "Summer of Survival":

8943212405_e64dd96421_c.jpg

8943835858_69295352aa_c.jpg

It's going to be strange next year when USH will play up the family aspect of the park with the opening of DM after years of hyping up thrills.
...and then back to some thrills with Potter.

Yeah....next year will probably be "Summer of Silliness" and they'll advertise Minion Mayhem, Shrek, and the Simpsons.
Shrek doesn't deserve to be broadcasted nationwide.  <_<

Kind of a stupid promotion, if you ask me. They should have at least spelled out "Summer of Survival" out as to not confuse guests.

I know I'd be concerned if a plane started spelling "SOS" out above me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: William
Kind of a stupid promotion, if you ask me. They should have at least spelled out "Summer of Survival" out as to not confuse guests.

I know I'd be concerned if a plane started spelling "SOS" out above me.
That's exactly what crossed my mind when I first saw these photos. I guess they did their best not to confuse guests by throwing in hashtags. :mellow:

Oh gosh, that scared/confused so many people today when I was at Disneyland. I was in line along the red carpet at DCA for The Lone Ranger premier and suddenly right over us we see [HASHTAG]#SOS[/HASHTAG] spelles out like 10 times and people were so confused and it really distracted away from most of the celebrities on the red carpet.

My personal opinion? SHAME ON UNIVERSAL. Especially for doing it over Disneyland and DCA. They obviously got the hype they were looking for, but it confused more people than it should have, and like Jon said, they should've spelled it out. And doing it over the Disneyland Resort, and during a movie world premier out of all days, was extremely slimy of Universal in my opinion.....

I also saw the Despicablimp over Universal on my way to Disneyland today! That was cool! Got some pics and video. But the SOS thing? Pathetic, Universal...

Johnny Depp is so gorgeous in person, OMG.... :p

Reactions: William
It got people talking. Mission accomplished.

Very primitive advertising in my opinion. Not well thought out, which is unlike what Universal has done recently, since it freaked people out.

But them pasting that in the sky above the Disneyland Resort? Slimy slimy slimy. I miss when Disneyland used to be a no fly zone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Over 5 or 6 times, if not more of " [HASHTAG]#SOS[/HASHTAG] ". At first we couldn't tell if it was [HASHTAG]#505[/HASHTAG] or [HASHTAG]#SOS[/HASHTAG]. When we realised it was SOS, there was lots of confusion. Almost directly above Buena Vista Street and Hollywoodland where the premier of Lone Ranger was taking place. Pathetic on Universal's part, idk how Disney allowed that.

They shouldn't be allowed to advertise their own theme parks over their competitor's using planes. How would Universal like Disney flying over USH advertising Carsland?

No, apparently it was all over LA and Orange County then....not sure.

Personally if I was Disney, I'd complain, but that's me. I love Universal, but I think it was utterly pathetic doing it over DLR, especially on a day like this.

AND using the code "SOS" out of a plane. Should've used that damn money to repair/replace the dinosaur animatronics...

Reactions: Krusty and William
USH has been known for their sometimes shocking advertisement such as for Kong and Transformers first opening. [HASHTAG]#SOS[/HASHTAG] was funny and confusing but most people would probably go online to check the hashtag. In this day in age # is known for online lingo.