Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 190 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I will be *shocked* if the reception of Mario Kart from people who ride it is anything but positive. There will be the “theme park fans” who whinge about it forever probably, because they don’t want to look “wrong”. But I don’t foresee this being anything close to a flop. It may not be the greatest ride ever, who knows. But it will be wildly popular.
JW got rave reviews...and it wasn't even at 100%

People will love this...some on the internet will complain but overall think the land is going to be popular for years to come...and heck they can redo or add more games if they want to spice it up in a few years.

I'd be surprised if the attraction doesn't ALSO interact in some way with the Mario Kart World Tour app by the time it arrives in the US.

What are the odds that when Mario Kart arrives in Orlando they maybe add / perfect some things on the ride that make it better than in Japan? For example, the scene near the end with the big lava boulder Bowser, in the ride now it's just a projection - any chance we could see that become a real animatronic at the end? Or maybe get some real fog effects in the sky scene with all of the clouds. That scene looks the worst imo of any other area in the ride. It just doesn't capture what it's trying to convey at all. That's one of the best tracks in MK8 and yet in the ride they failed miserably to recreate it lol.

What are the odds that when Mario Kart arrives in Orlando they maybe add / perfect some things on the ride that make it better than in Japan? For example, the scene near the end with the big lava boulder Bowser, in the ride now it's just a projection - any chance we could see that become a real animatronic at the end? Or maybe get some real fog effects in the sky scene with all of the clouds. That scene looks the worst imo of any other area in the ride. It just doesn't capture what it's trying to convey at all. That's one of the best tracks in MK8 and yet in the ride they failed miserably to recreate it lol.
That’s pretty unlikely. An animatronic that size would require a lot of infrastructure around it that would result a pretty drastic redesign of the scene. And fog interferes with projections, increases maintenance requirements of projectors and probably doesn’t play well with the AR.

People keep talking about “improvements” in Orlando. Wider paths and such? I don’t expect it. Universal literally took what was planned for Orlando and put it in Japan.

That’s pretty unlikely. An animatronic that size would require a lot of infrastructure around it that would result a pretty drastic redesign of the scene. And fog interferes with projections, increases maintenance requirements of projectors and probably doesn’t play well with the AR.

People keep talking about “improvements” in Orlando. Wider paths and such? I don’t expect it. Universal literally took what was planned for Orlando and put it in Japan.
As @Legacy pointed out, I think they would be loathe to mess with the MK ride itself as it is new tech that they are perfecting. Play with that too much, and you could create more headaches than it would be worth.

Possibly they could add some more meet and greets around the main Mario area or some extra secrets as those would be less likely to cause operational issues.

I would imagine if there were to be any changes to the land for Orlando, it would be in the DK area.

Since we don’t know much about that ride yet, I more specifically mean the rumored playground and maybe some added mini games around the area.

Ask these questions for yourself:
Can an AA move like the digital version?
Can an AA reaction on the impact for each rider the way it does as the digital version does?
Does the AA stand out from the digital characters in the ride breaking continuity?
Does overlaying fog with AR create an unrealistic effect?

In the end Shigeru Miyamoto and the Nintendo corporation approved the end result and they worked very closely with Universal Creative. I am sure many different options where taken in consideration but in the end the best solution is created for each ride.

While I agree that expecting substantial changes is unlikely, wasn't it the other way around? Universal took a land designed for Japan and are bringing it to Orlando as a direct clone.

Only USH is getting a unique layout, which may end up being an advantage if it feels less crampt.

While I agree that expecting substantial changes is unlikely, wasn't it the other way around? Universal took a land designed for Japan and are bringing it to Orlando as a direct clone.

Only USH is getting a unique layout, which may end up being an advantage if it feels less crampt.
The initial pitch was designed around KidZone. I’m pretty sure the land was initially designed for USF and ported everywhere else

The initial pitch was designed around KidZone. I’m pretty sure the land was initially designed for USF and ported everywhere else

I was under the impression the USF plans were a 'proof of concept' when Universal were courting Nintendo.
That and the Japan plans are quite different to the original USF plans that leaked online.
The Osaka SNW feels specifically designed for the plot of land it is on.

Reactions: Magic Feather
I was under the impression the USF plans were a 'proof of concept' when Universal were courting Nintendo.
That and the Japan plans are quite different to the original USF plans that leaked online.
The Osaka SNW feels specifically designed for the plot of land it is on.
Yea they were a proof of concept. That then morphed into the final plan, which fit snuggly in KidZone. They then found a spot in USJ that it could fit perfectly, but it was definitely designed for Orlando initially

Reactions: Frogki
(spoilers) My reaction of MK based on the multiple POV videos:

I really thought the lava bowser projection was a physical AA! There are many little moments that blew me way. Even something as simple as the AR confetti at the end really adds a lot to the ride. I think this will be a ride you will want to do over and over and over again. I enjoyed the rainbow road scene and how they did the transitions. So much magic created with all the combination of technology.

I am not surprised by the slow physical speed of the ride. Do I wish there was more projection mapping on the track to give the illusion of speed? Maybe. But they would also have to do more screens on the walls so I think they had to compromise.

I read a review that pointed out my one disappointment in the ride; It feels cramped and claustrophobic. In the game the tracks and environments are so bright, open, and expansive, I wish the ride was on a larger scale. For example the Shanghai Pirates ride has so many large open areas (only mentioning it because of scale, not comparing the ride systems).

One little improvement they could make would be to add projections to the floor of the finish line scene to blend the floor with the giant screen.

But, I don't want to dwell on the negative because it's amazing what they did. The entire land is wonderful, It must be very surreal to walk through that environment in person.

The plans, as built were designed for both Orlando and Japan concurrently. They choose a spot in each park that was the same size for the land to make it easier, and the Orlando creative team took lead, but technically it was designed for both parks at the same time.

(Yes the never-approved early pitch plan was bluesky designed for KidZone only, but the final plans were designed for both.)

(spoilers) My reaction of MK based on the multiple POV videos:

I really thought the lava bowser projection was a physical AA! There are many little moments that blew me way. Even something as simple as the AR confetti at the end really adds a lot to the ride. I think this will be a ride you will want to do over and over and over again. I enjoyed the rainbow road scene and how they did the transitions. So much magic created with all the combination of technology.

I am not surprised by the slow physical speed of the ride. Do I wish there was more projection mapping on the track to give the illusion of speed? Maybe. But they would also have to do more screens on the walls so I think they had to compromise.

I read a review that pointed out my one disappointment in the ride; It feels cramped and claustrophobic. In the game the tracks and environments are so bright, open, and expansive, I wish the ride was on a larger scale. For example the Shanghai Pirates ride has so many large open areas (only mentioning it because of scale, not comparing the ride systems).

One little improvement they could make would be to add projections to the floor of the finish line scene to blend the floor with the giant screen.

But, I don't want to dwell on the negative because it's amazing what they did. The entire land is wonderful, It must be very surreal to walk through that environment in person.
These are fair criticisms

I love their commitment to practical stuff

But there are certainly ways they could have made it feel more expansive

More than likely that would mean that the ride would only be one track, which I know they'd be against

These are fair criticisms

I love their commitment to practical stuff

But there are certainly ways they could have made it feel more expansive

More than likely that would mean that the ride would only be one track, which I know they'd be against
I’d prefer one track. It doesn’t seem you can throw items at the car next to you (you’re both on the same team) so I’m not sure I understand the point.

I’d prefer one track. It doesn’t seem you can throw items at the car next to you (you’re both on the same team) so I’m not sure I understand the point.
The point is capacity
This.

As well, the larger the room the less scene variety they would be able to cram in thanks to the various lighting tricks and it would make it more likely you will see the riders in front of you, which breaks the illusion of being in the race.