The Future of Fast and Furious: Supercharged | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Fast and Furious: Supercharged

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They could always just make it another permanent HHN space, and keep the (very nice) indoor street decor.
I’d certainly hope not. I really really really hate the idea of removing an attraction for capacity for an upcharge event that runs less than 3 months every year, no matter how good HHN is. F&F sucks really bad, but that space should still be used for an attraction.

Haunted Mansion has used projections since day one too. You can’t consider SLoP a hybrid dark ride/simulator if Transformers falls under that definition too. It’s a pure dark ride that uses screens as background scenic elements.
It uses screens in the same way Navi River Journey does. I don't think anyone would rush to mark them as screen rides the same way you might with a Gringotts or Ratatouille where screens are the primary thematic element in a majority of the scenes.

Something like Navi River Journey is probably my ideal for dark rides going forward, where screen elements and physical elements integrate seamlessly with each other. It's probably the only ride that's completely sold me on that integration.
I'm not disagreeing with you guys. Just saying that I don't think we'll see the old classic dark rides that were all practical & AA's. I'm guessing dark rides going forward will continue to have a mix of AA's, practical, screens/ projections in varying degrees of composition. It's probably a question of individual meaning and/or semantics on what constitutes a dark ride more than anything else. Myself, I prefer a park having a nice balance of attractions. Differential beats sameness/repetitiveness in my book.

Reactions: Clive and Michael S
I'm not disagreeing with you guys. Just saying that I don't think we'll see the old classic dark rides that were all practical & AA's. I'm guessing dark rides going forward will continue to have a mix of AA's, practical, screens/ projections in varying degrees of composition. It's probably a question of individual meaning and/or semantics more than anything else. Myself, I prefer a park having a nice balance of attractions. Differential beats sameness in my book.
I think this is just a symptom of technology evolving. If the classic dark ride designers had the same tools as today’s designers, I’m sure they would have used them too.

Before SLoP we had ET and Cat in the Hat as the only two attractions fitting that bill in the entire history of the company.
In fairness, when those rides were built, they existed alongside more thrilling E-ticket dark/boat rides that were also primarily physical/practical attractions (Kongfrontation, Jaws, Earthquake). Since Universal has mostly eschewed that kind of massive practical dark ride (at USF; I'm hopeful for the Monsters and Ministry rides at Epic Universe), that really only leaves the more family-oriented genre of dark ride as the most plausible avenue to get another non-screen-heavy ride into the park.

Also, just looking at the line-up at USF from an intensity/energy level, it could probably use another ride that isn't primarily trying to be a thrill ride.

So I think that's why the request is so often phrased as a family dark ride. Would I prefer something like Kongfrontation? Absolutely. But that's just not going to happen, whereas there's direct evidence from Hollywood that Universal will build a family-skewing dark ride of the more traditional sense.

In fairness, when those rides were built, they existed alongside more thrilling E-ticket dark/boat rides that were also primarily physical/practical attractions (Kongfrontation, Jaws, Earthquake). Since Universal has mostly eschewed that kind of massive practical dark ride (at USF; I'm hopeful for the Monsters and Ministry rides at Epic Universe), that really only leaves the more family-oriented genre of dark ride as the most plausible avenue to get another non-screen-heavy ride into the park.

Also, just looking at the line-up at USF from an intensity/energy level, it could probably use another ride that isn't primarily trying to be a thrill ride.

So I think that's why the request is so often phrased as a family dark ride. Would I prefer something like Kongfrontation? Absolutely. But that's just not going to happen, whereas there's direct evidence from Hollywood that Universal will build a family-skewing dark ride of the more traditional sense.
I actually really like physical/practical attraction as an umbrella term for the rides I consider “dark rides.” I think the inverse of screen rides are physical/practical attractions. Plus, the term “dark ride” is pretty subjective.

Maybe the only way to solve the debate is a rebrand. :lmao:

I never got to experience USF in its prime, but those attractions were stellar, from what I’ve seen, and it is a bummer to see them go, and fall out of fashion. I’d say it goes back to the public’s appetite, though. Most of the big winners at the box office are CGI heavy popcorn flicks. Practical effects have slowly gone out of favor in film, and, as a result, in the parks that represent those properties in a “real world setting.”

I agree that a balance is needed—but does the GP care enough to make corporate change their plans?

With all that said, I am all for Universal shaking up the game and adding more of what is lacking these days, but I’m not sure it’s high on their priorities, however unfortunate that may be.

Reactions: Clive and Mad Dog
Most of the big winners at the box office are CGI heavy popcorn flicks. Practical effects have slowly gone out of favor in film, and, as a result, in the parks that represent those properties in a “real world setting.”
True, but then again, the biggest movie of last year in the U.S. -- TOP GUN: MAVERICK -- was an instance where one of the major selling points was "Look how much of this we did for real!"

Audiences certainly like (or expect) the big CGI spectacles, but I think there's also a hunger for stuff that is easier for the audience to believe is really happening, too.

True, but then again, the biggest movie of last year in the U.S. -- TOP GUN: MAVERICK -- was an instance where one of the major selling points was "Look how much of this we did for real!"

Audiences certainly like (or expect) the big CGI spectacles, but I think there's also a hunger for stuff that is easier for the audience to believe is really happening, too.
I hope too, that that is a telling sign of a new renaissance across multiple industries. I’d even say that’s why SLoP was lauded by so many (myself included.)

I believe Supercharged is housed in one of the biggest, if not the biggest show building in the park (please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong).

This will forever amaze me. How is it even possible that they managed to waste so much space on an attraction that is not only one of the worst rides ever built but also one that is both incredibly short and spends the majority of its time stationary bouncing around. Like truly.... how did this ever happen? Even from a design perspective it makes no sense (ignoring all the other terrible decisions). The ride experience for guests is that of a basic simulator far worse than Race Through New York yet it takes up six times the space. :lol:

That said, I have grown to "enjoy" Supercharged in a way I enjoy a movie so bad it's good and it remains a nice way to cool off and relax. It has decent capacity and the line is rarely long so it offers a C-ticket diversion (albeit with an E+ Ticket footprint). Universal choosing to close the attraction and leave it abandoned (like they have for Poseidon's Fury, Fear Factor Live, Toon Lagoon Theater, Sinbad, etc.) isn't really a good thing even when the ride is this bad.

You’re right. While an anomaly, SLoP definitely proved Universal is willing to do an AA centered slow moving dark ride, if it has the correct IP and fulfills the right need in the respective resort. However, Universal has never been ABOUT that style of ride. Before SLoP we had ET and Cat in the Hat as the only two attractions fitting that bill in the entire history of the company.

Sprinkling those experiences around is how Universal can cater to families, but also differentiate themselves from the mouse.

Also, to be fair, those attractions are not really marketable to today’s theme park guests. The little mermaid’s reception at DCA and MK sort of enforces that theory. I don’t see any of those attractions coming to any park unless it’s part of a larger land/expansion, or (in the case of DCA, USH and even MK) toward a overarching goal of place making.

But to get back on topic, whatever might replace F&F Supercharged, I’d argue, will be whatever Universal is really banking on—as an entity—at the moment. There’s no telling, now, what it could be. Which is exciting as well haha
They're gone now but the original Kong and Earthquake/Disaster were dark rides

Reactions: tankart150
I haven’t followed this entire forum, and am not too familiar with USF, but if supercharged goes, and San Fransisco goes with it, how big is that plot of land? Could the reason Uni would leave it shuttered (or seasonal) be that they are waiting for the right property to take over that entire space?
The show building is larger than Mummy's as well as Gringotts!

Not combined, but still - very big!

You’re right. While an anomaly, SLoP definitely proved Universal is willing to do an AA centered slow moving dark ride, if it has the correct IP and fulfills the right need in the respective resort. However, Universal has never been ABOUT that style of ride. Before SLoP we had ET and Cat in the Hat as the only two attractions fitting that bill in the entire history of the company.

Sprinkling those experiences around is how Universal can cater to families, but also differentiate themselves from the mouse.

Also, to be fair, those attractions are not really marketable to today’s theme park guests. The little mermaid’s reception at DCA and MK sort of enforces that theory. I don’t see any of those attractions coming to any park unless it’s part of a larger land/expansion, or (in the case of DCA, USH and even MK) toward a overarching goal of place making.

But to get back on topic, whatever might replace F&F Supercharged, I’d argue, will be whatever Universal is really banking on—as an entity—at the moment. There’s no telling, now, what it could be. Which is exciting as well haha
Men in Black Alien Attack?

Men in Black Alien Attack?
I suppose I was referring more to what some people have been clamoring for. The “Disney style family dark ride,” not shooters, or adventures like Kong/Earthquake, all of which Universal really knocked the ball out of the park with.

SLoP, ET and Cat in the Hat seem to be the only true “Disney style family dark rides” (meaning simple slow moving journeys with plenty of AAs) that the company has ever produced in the states, and building more isn’t high priority.

This is dumb and impractical and it will never happen but let a man dream.

Get rid of Reign of Kong. Move the AA and remix the Kong ride into the F&F building. Hell you could make it cable cars since it's in San Fran. Modify some of the screen rooms and end with going past Kong like the old ride. Boom.

Use the new Reign of Kong land for a JW/JP attraction.

This is dumb and impractical and it will never happen but let a man dream.

Get rid of Reign of Kong. Move the AA and remix the Kong ride into the F&F building. Hell you could make it cable cars since it's in San Fran. Modify some of the screen rooms and end with going past Kong like the old ride. Boom.

Use the new Reign of Kong land for a JW/JP attraction.
Ily

I am once again going to say this:

Make Fast & Furious Supercharged to be a flex-space attraction that can do overlays and special XR attraction experiences for HHN and if they'd bring Universal Cool domestically. It'd be genuinely fun to see them be given the budget to have specialty experiences specifically aimed to get people to come for the events beyond what has been seen so-far.

I am once again going to say this:

Make Fast & Furious Supercharged to be a flex-space attraction that can do overlays and special XR attraction experiences for HHN and if they'd bring Universal Cool domestically. It'd be genuinely fun to see them be given the budget to have specialty experiences specifically aimed to get people to come for the events beyond what has been seen so-far.
This idea gives me vibes of that rumored black box attraction that was once slated for both DCA and DHS. I assume if they were to go the flex space route the party bus ride vehicles would be swapped out for MMRR style ones if the space allows they to do so.