The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 135 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Can we please stop bringing up the idea and rumor that Legend of Zelda is going to take over Poseidon's Fury/Lost Continent?!?! That rumor was likely killed in the pandemic, IOA already has a castle-esque building (Hogwarts), and changing LC would be doom for Myhtos Restaurant, which is very popular.
Not only it is a legitimate rumor but it’s had a lot of backing in blue sky development with quite a bit of leaked artwork floating around.

Additionally: who’s to say Mythos couldn’t be rethemed to match the area in a way that improved upon it?

A relatively calm, Pirates-like boat ride is the one water ride IOA lacks. Adding one "completes" the park, in a manner of speaking.

Or it would if there were still shows at IOA.
If it’s good. Singapore used to have a Madagascar ride, Beijing has one based on Kung Fu Panda, both water rides, and they’re apparently underwhelming. Singapore didn’t really lose anything with the removal of Madagascar.
This new land is a great way to bring back Enchanted Oak Tavern, one of the best themed restaurants that Universal has ever built!
Yes. Bring back that stained glass window, I loved it so much.
This will be one of the subtly big losses when the land is gone: a large chunk of the park's purpose-composed background music will be removed from circulation.

The Lost Continent loops are among the most atmospheric, mysterious, and/or evocative in any theme park.
… and they still never released the music for Poseidon’s Fury online. Goramn it, I wanna hear it!

You're trying to ignore history to do... whatever this is?
If you’re accusing me of having an opinion on some developments that differs from your personal observation of the consensus on these boards… that’s almost certainly true but I’m not at all sure why that’s significant. It certainly isn’t rewriting history… but if that’s the accusation, I think you’re a bit guilty. I’d agree with some of the things you say here, and even agree some are the broad consensus. Universal still uses too many screens, Fallon and Fast were disappointments (I disagree about Fast, but I realize I’m out of the mainstream). None of that substantially impacts the general sense that Universal was moving aggressively in the right direction. That was a sense I shared with what I believe was a majority on here. A new ride is lacking? Eh, another will be along in a year, and there will be a host of ancillary improvements to the parks in the meantime. Too many screens? At least they’re building, and a lot of the screen rides are fun. The overall direction remained relentlessly positive.

All of this was why, when it became clear what Minions was, there was no reason to worry. It would be fun, better then Shrek, and something new would come along the next year. But when that became part of a pattern that also included the sudden closures of the park’s primary entertainment offerings, an area in which the resort already struggled, it is absolutely fair to become a little wary of the resort’s direction.

As I’ve said, if we get to 2025 and the existing parks have a strong parade, great nighttime show, and at least one good new theatrical offering, I’ll gleefully admit I’m wrong.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It’s crazy how we usually have a solid understanding of what’s replacing an attraction before it closes.

That’s what makes this one so strange IMO. It intensifies the idea of it sitting vacant, or the idea of entertainment department using the building for a new show (like how they did Bourne, and on a much smaller scale DreamWorks)

As I’ve said, if we get to 2025 and the existing parks have a strong parade, great nighttime show, and at least one good new theatrical offering, I’ll gleefully admit I’m wrong.

But Universal has said replacements are coming... and there's been evidence, including the rumored additions of drones to the nighttime shows... so I don't understand the stance.

They added Vamos - Bailalo, Pirates to Port of Entry, not to mention the great improvements of entertainment for HHN, Mardi Gras, and the Holidays...

It’s crazy how we usually have a solid understanding of what’s replacing an attraction before it closes.

That’s what makes this one so strange IMO. It intensifies the idea of it sitting vacant, or the idea of entertainment department using the building for a new show (like how they did Bourne, and on a much smaller scale DreamWorks)
Again, I’m not saying it’s gonna start construction tomorrow, but Universal got a very good sign that betting on Nintendo is very good business over the weekend. Things can change fast when it’s clear lots of money can be made

But Universal has said replacements are coming... and there's been evidence, including the rumored additions of drones to the nighttime shows... so I don't understand the stance.

They added Vamos - Bailalo, Pirates to Port of Entry, not to mention the great improvements of entertainment for HHN, Mardi Gras, and the Holidays...
I won’t argue that the festivals aren’t great, but didn’t Mardi Gras lose entertainment, with far fewer concerts? I also thought they used to bring in a different New Orleans band each week to perform throughout the day, and that seems to be gone. Also, what’s up with Vamos -it doesn’t seem to be listed in the ap, and wasn’t when I was there for quite a while over recently.

Reactions: Mad Dog
As a fan I want universal to be smart with their money and offer a better value than Disney. The land already looks like something that could be in Zelda. If they built a big time dark ride where Sinbad used to be and repurposed a lot of the Poseidon theater into a link vs Ganon show I think it would be a huge hit. I have always said this show if it was with mickey and Disney villains would be praised even today. They could easily add Zelda themed dishes and keep mythos otherwise as is.

Also universal is definitely going to need something to balance out the parks by 2025 when the new park opens to spread out demand and it would have been a long time since velocicoaster at that point. In general universal is likely to make some additions every few years to each park.

Last edited:
As a fan I want universal to be smart with their money and offer a better value than Disney. The land already looks like something that could be in Zelda. If they built a big time dark ride where Sinbad used to be and repurposed a lot of the Poseidon theater into a link vs Ganon show I think it would be a huge hit. I have always said this show if it was with mickey and Disney villains would be praised even today. They could easily add Zelda themed dishes and keep mythos otherwise as is.
Nah. There’s no way Nintendo would sign off on something that lazy

I won’t argue that the festivals aren’t great, but didn’t Mardi Gras lose entertainment, with far fewer concerts? I also thought they used to bring in a different New Orleans band each week to perform throughout the day, and that seems to be gone. Also, what’s up with Vamos -it doesn’t seem to be listed in the ap, and wasn’t when I was there for quite a while over recently.
The New Orleans bands are still there, I think they switch out every month or so. Vamos was still performing as of my visit Monday.

As far as MG concerts, it all depends on how you look at it. They had fewer concerts, but also had more parade nights and a slew of food booth options. I wouldn't say it's a cut as much as the event is evolving into more of a food festival.

Reactions: graspthesun
Lost Continent is too small to have Hyrule put in, especially if that Hyrule is the one in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. They’ll probably instead put in a new ride on the Sinbad and Poseidon space.

I have to assume whenever Simpsons ride closes it will be demolished, or at the very least completely gutted. I don't think that ride system can last many more years as is. But if whatever they design to go there can fit in USH, that would probably make sense.

(Everyone is sad to see Poseidon go, but I'm gonna miss Fast Food Boulevard when that happens!)
Considering how iconic Pokemon is, if they are indeed cooking up a Pokemon attraction to replace Simpsons, I bet they are developing two of them for both USF and USH. I mean Disney loves to clone rides to multiple parks to maximize return on investment for the R&D they put in to create these rides. They would have to design the Hollywood building with a different layout to compensate for the fact it goes over hill. I personally think the Simpsons buildings at both parks will be demolished due to the design of the existing building would likely involve ripping off the front to expand into the queue if they wanted to do any sort of elaborate dark ride.

Reactions: JungleSkip
Rumor in 2020: Zelda plans for Lost Continent have been back-burnered until Universal and Nintendo are more confident in the initial Super Nintendo World openings first.

The first Super Nintendo World lands open to huge crowds (and the company’s Mario movie breaks records for animated film box office).

And now the Lost Continent’s last remaining attraction is closing.

Of course it’s possible we still won’t see Zelda here, but things are *still* following along with the last rumors for it.

The New Orleans bands are still there, I think they switch out every month or so. Vamos was still performing as of my visit Monday.

As far as MG concerts, it all depends on how you look at it. They had fewer concerts, but also had more parade nights and a slew of food booth options. I wouldn't say it's a cut as much as the event is evolving into more of a food festival.
I know this is a derail, but… were the bands really there? I was at MG for two weeks and didn’t see them listed on any schedules, in the ap, or in any write-ups - did I totally miss them somehow? That would be upsetting.

I wonder why Vamos doesn’t seem to be included on the ap map. I wanted to see them but assumed they weren’t performing.

Rumor in 2020: Zelda plans for Lost Continent have been back-burnered until Universal and Nintendo are more confident in the initial Super Nintendo World openings first.

The first Super Nintendo World lands open to huge crowds (and the company’s Mario movie breaks records for animated film box office).

And now the Lost Continent’s last remaining attraction is closing.

Of course it’s possible we still won’t see Zelda here, but things are *still* following along with the last rumors for it.
I just personally can't see what else this extremely valuable real estate within universal would be used for if it was not something major. We have not heard a lot of other rumors for other properties here at all. Zelda would make sense as a major property that would balance out attendance. I still think studios is due for another major addition itself in time for the 2025 epic universe opening that is not the kids zone replacement.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
While it's true it's sad we're losing another attraction in this land, the overall sentiment about Lost Continent having a prolonged death is definitely true. Thematically it's still a great area to walk around in but since the closer (removal) of Dueling Dragons and the ending of Sinbad, it's obvious PF couldn't hold up the land on its own forever, even with Mythos around too.

I know it's not the same but I am looking forward to HTTYD and the hub at EU as I think that will hit similar notes atmospherically. The dueling coasters of the hub seem like spiritual successors so it's something to look forward to.

Here's a little wishing that perhaps the Mystic Fountain equvalant will show up somewhere in EU! One thing I will say is that the MM is currently tucked away from the main crowd so a new version in a slightly more obvious place would be great for guests to stumble across.

I wonder if they'll incorporate Mythos into the new land? It'd be a shame to get rid of that #1 restaurant banner. :lol:

Reactions: cenobyte and Nico