The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 138 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Will miss PF but do admit that I pass on it more than I attended it, but the overall aesthetic of the building outside and the land in general I still find breathtaking and that alone will be what is harder to let go of, despite me also loving the water tunnel. I guess it isn't reasonable but I hope they can find a way to keep Mythos as is and re-develop the land around it. Hey if Kong can be it's own land technically why can't Mythos and as a tribute to the past? Then we can also keep that banging ambient soundtrack and maybe place a few LC nuggets right outside of Mythos as a tribute without taking much footprint, but again probably just dreaming. But yes salute to PF you were dated and need to go but I did enjoy you a lot especially during the hot days.

The water tunnel and the facade was great. Everything else blows.

Seriously, I don’t really get people who say the original version was better tho. Why?
* While not actually drawn from Greek mythology, by using Poseidon and his water spirit lackey, and the story-teller's more somber tone v. Lonnie's jokes, the experience had a deeper sense of gravitas. Lord Darkenon sounds (and looks) like a Power Rangers refugee.
* The storyteller/Zeus transformation worked really well. Ending on the original wall was clever.
* It was a different era. Pre-Potter/Radiator Springs, giant 2-D cutouts of superheroes counted as "immersive theming." A detailed attraction that actually took itself seriously felt unusual in turn-of-the-century Orlando

To stress, it was still a Tier II attraction, albeit a fairly unique one. But better than the refurb.

If anything substantial is being built like a new land then it’s not going to sit empty for long. I expect construction to start at the latest early next year.

Reactions: SeventyOne
One thing keeps popping up in my mind....especially questioning the PF plumbing issue. Why are they closing Hogwarts night show, for a long refurb, at the same time. Is it having a plumbing issue also? :lol: ...Perhaps that plumbing excuse is a false flag leaked on purpose to take the heat off of a PF closure a year or two before new construction starts. If nothing happens with this building for a good while, my thoughts are still that it's only being done to cut operational costs.....Now, if they start the refurb, demolition, or whatever with the PF site within the next few months, I'll gladly admit that my thoughts were wrong and that Karen isn't Chapek in wolf's clothing. :lol:

One thing keeps popping up in my mind....especially questioning the PF plumbing issue. Why are they closing Hogwarts night show, for a long refurb, at the same time. Is it having a plumbing issue also? :lol: ...Perhaps that plumbing excuse is a false flag leaked on purpose to take the heat off of a PF closure a year or two before new construction starts. If nothing happens with this building for a good while, my thoughts are still that it's only being done to cut operational savings.....Now, if they start the refurb, demolition, or whatever with the PF site, I'll gladly admit that my thoughts were wrong and that Karen isn't Chapek in wolf's clothing. :lol:
Dude, seriously. The conspiracy theories are a bit ridiculous.

Bring on The Legend of Zelda!!!!
Excited Happy Birthday GIF

Dude, seriously. The conspiracy theories are a bit ridiculous.
and...you evidently have insider info that I'm completely wrong. Please share if you can. I'm mostly having issues with this recent track record of closing stuff way before it needs to for new parades/shows that are years away, especially when the parks are crowded and have historically long lines. Example: They could have continued running the parade and kept the FF show running in the now empty theater to alleviate capacity issues.

On the subject of date, back when Fear Factor was slated to be replaced with a Potter VR attraction, the plan was to have something new for Lost Continent for 2027.

When Potter VR was cancelled (a second time, for the last time) everything shifted around. Since the VR thing was intended to be the resort's 2024 offering, the KidZone replacement seems to have been fasttracked instead. Epic is still for 2025, obviously.

If they want to have something substantial for the existing parks in 2026, perhaps Lost Continent got bumped a year early as well.

Either way, no way anything big is opening here until then, at the earliest, in my view.
Get out of here with this realistic explanation of how one attraction cancellation can cause all of the remaining plans to shift around.

It’s disappointing in that we’re probably looking at multiple years of dead space from Seuss to Hogwarts Express but this is what happens when you design a park around a lake. It’s like Epcot with construction walls everywhere versus Studios and AK where the construction on Toy Story/Star Wars/Pandora was buried out of view. Also, until something opens on the plot the park is getting weirdly unbalanced like Epcot was for years before Guardians and west side pathways were opened up a bit. But such is the price of progress.

One thing keeps popping up in my mind....especially questioning the PF plumbing issue. Why are they closing Hogwarts night show, for a long refurb, at the same time. Is it having a plumbing issue also? :lol: ...Perhaps that plumbing excuse is a false flag leaked on purpose to take the heat off of a PF closure a year or two before new construction starts. If nothing happens with this building for a good while, my thoughts are still that it's only being done to cut operational costs.....Now, if they start the refurb, demolition, or whatever with the PF site within the next few months, I'll gladly admit that my thoughts were wrong and that Karen isn't Chapek in wolf's clothing. :lol:

Let’s not use the term “false flag”.

Oh hey, Mike S is back. Neat!

Also to bring up: what I have been informed is more or less projection enhancements for the shows rather than anything vital that needs to be fixed for Nighttime Lights. I would not connect this to what is happening with LC.
Lol I saw the news on a Nintendo news site and had to come to leave a comment.

and...you evidently have insider info that I'm completely wrong. Please share if you can. I'm mostly having issues with this recent track record of closing stuff way before it needs to for new parades/shows that are years away, especially when the parks are crowded and have historically long lines. Example: They could have continued running the parade and kept the FF show running in the now empty theater to alleviate capacity issues.
The parade basically no one watched because it wasn't any good? The FF show absolutely no one went into?

You're overinflating the value of the things that have closed to bolster your preferred narrative. The nighttime show at USF closed due to storm damage, and they decided to design a new show before reopening it. The Hogwarts show is undergoing substantial upgrades to the point it can't run while it's being done. The parade was never a big draw at USF and is being replaced by one that hopefully will be.

UOR is more popular than ever. Even during the last decade of substantial popularity growth, things like PF, FF, Sindbad, etc were empty more often than not. Taking them out of rotation has little to no affect on the park at large whether you want to believe it or not.

I have to say I really don't understand a lot of the discourse in this thread. I get that Poseidon has been on borrowed time for a while and none of us are shocked to see it go, but I personally am a little shocked that the closure is so abrupt and without any recent chatter preceding the announcement. To echo a lot of you, I'll miss it because I think it's a great show. It's a one of a kind attraction in a one of a kind land, and I will always be bummed to see more park originals leave in favor of IP adaptation expansions.

That said, there's no getting around the fact that TLoZ is a massive property that will draw crazy crowds. Breath of the Wild was a phenomenon at launch, and it was the definitive Switch system seller for years. It is *the* reason that I personally bought my console, and I was by no means a super fan of the franchise at the time. Is it Super Mario or Harry Potter levels of huge? No, but calling it niche or obscure is an insane reach. It's an established brand name with a nearly 40 year history behind it, and carries that fandom along with it. People will come.

Universal isn't known for parades, so guests don't care that they are missing out. But... they do care when Minion Mayhem is currently working overtime as the sole provider of children's attractions at USF for the time being and wait times are high. I do agree that it was shortsighted of Universal to cancel the parade before Villain-Con opened.

Closing Poseidon before the busy summer and hot/rainy season for a park that only offers 4 indoor attractions is an odd choice.

Universal isn't known for parades, so guests don't care that they are missing out. But... they do care when Minion Mayhem is currently working overtime as the sole provider of children's attractions at USF for the time being and wait times are high. I do agree that it was shortsighted of Universal to cancel the parade before Villain-Con opened.

Closing Poseidon before the busy summer and hot/rainy season for a park that only offers 4 indoor attractions is an odd choice.

They ended the parade because they sent the floats out for reuse for the new parade. It’s the same reason why Cinematic went down and Nighttime Lights.