The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A launch indoor/outdoor coaster in their would be awesome for LC. I'd hate to see those amazing structures die.

I've supported the LC on numerous occasions. I've suggested they keep Poseidon's Fury facade and turn the attraction into an "adventurous" indoor boat ride/water coaster. I imagine something similar to Journey to Atlantis at SWO. A few mild drops, twists, turns, etc.

I want to start this post by reiterating that I'd prefer to fix LC's attractions before losing LC altogether. Before Potter came along, LC had my favorite theme in all of UOR, and it holds a special place in my heart. As much as I like HP, I will completely agree that the boy wizard neutered LC; Dragons, the Enchanted Oak and even Unicorn were the main and best attraction that made LC extra special for me. Now all that remains are beautiful facades... a shell of its former self...

Anyways, getting to my point, if LC must go... someone mentioned Oz on another thread (Kidzone, I think). I never considered that before, but I always thought it would be cool if that Wicked show came to UOR... So what about if it did in the Sinbad theater? And flip LC to Oz / munchkin land? What do y'all think of that, if LC must go?

Yep, and mythos brings in the money too,

Does it though? I feel like Universal just likes to keep it around as a marketing/PR piece (we have the "best theme park restaurant in the world" Spoiler Alert: The food is good, not great).

Any time I have been in there, there's only 3 or 4 tables seated. Anyone work in Foods know more?

Spoiler Alert: The food is good, not great).

Any time I have been in there, there's only 3 or 4 tables seated. Anyone work in Foods know more?

I have to completely disagree. I've personally had only excellent meals at Mythos, and it's been the best food I've had in any theme park, and even better than most regular restaurants.

While it's true that I've never seen the place packed, I've also never seen just 3 or 4 tables seated, though. But I'm sure it has its slow periods, like everything.

Going back to the food (and also the theming), it's really great, in my experience.

I have to completely disagree. I've personally had only excellent meals at Mythos, and it's been the best food I've had in any theme park, and even better than most regular restaurants.

While it's true that I've never seen the place packed, I've also never seen just 3 or 4 tables seated, though. But I'm sure it has its slow periods, like everything.

Going back to the food (and also the theming), it's really great, in my experience.

We forget how big mythos is in general so if it seems like there aren't a lot of people, it's probably because the seating is spaced out so as guests eating don't feel uncomfortably close to others. After all being in a theme park, waits for the sit down restaurant are less likely to be out of the door because most people get counter service to continue on with their day. I don't have numbers but id bet, the majority of sit down goers in universal are AP holders.

Yep, and mythos brings in the money too, Poseidon might be the most beautiful entrance in any ride on property imo

5406075803_6ab1ec83b4_z.jpg

Probably one of the best facades in theme park history..inside..not so much

I don't think people remember, but Lost Continent used to feel like the most 'complete' island to me back in the day with Merlin woods, Sinbad Bizarre and the Greek Myth area, it had a family coaster, a thrilling coaster, show and dark ride(ish)..Always wished the rest of the islands were as expansive..now it just feels nutered

Does it though? I feel like Universal just likes to keep it around as a marketing/PR piece (we have the "best theme park restaurant in the world" Spoiler Alert: The food is good, not great).

It's always been busy when we've visited, ressies needed or an hour wait. And lots of people were waiting.

Am I in the complete minority here if I say I actually like Poseidon's Fury (inside and out)? I mean, I don't hit it every single trip, but when I do I have a pretty good time. I have yet to see any theme park attraction like it, and the use of real fire and physical effects is refreshing in the new "Green" era. It's also got one of the more believable attraction story-lines in the park (people take tours of ancient ruins all the time, the reason things go wrong happens naturally rather than forced, the media used makes sense, etc.). In all honesty, I'd rather keep Poseidon's Fury than have it replaced with yet another ride. It's a nice change of pace, and I have yet to walk away from it disappointed whenever I go through.

Am I in the complete minority here if I say I actually like Poseidon's Fury (inside and out)? I mean, I don't hit it every single trip, but when I do I have a pretty good time. I have yet to see any theme park attraction like it, and the use of real fire and physical effects is refreshing in the new "Green" era. It's also got one of the more believable attraction story-lines in the park (people take tours of ancient ruins all the time, the reason things go wrong happens naturally rather than forced, the media used makes sense, etc.). In all honesty, I'd rather keep Poseidon's Fury than have it replaced with yet another ride. It's a nice change of pace, and I have yet to walk away from it disappointed whenever I go through.

The ride film during the cilmax is what kills it :lol: if they made an entirely new ride film with 4K technology, I'd be okay with its existence. With the backstage/support areas behind Poseidon, there's enough room for a nice dark ride and even a flat ride so no need to replace either of the attractions.

Nope. It's a completely original, intricate attraction. It could use an update, but it's certainly not bad.

Poseidon's Fury is very special to me. It's not iconic, but it definitely embodies the things that Universal is known for: Over-the-top special effects, a barrage of your senses, and the balls to build something of such grand scale. Only in the offices of Universal would someone say "So then the people are going to walk through an 80 foot water vortex" and have the project get greenlit. Not to mention the room transformation effect which left people floored by the surprise (they kinda ruined it with the re-do).

I do agree the video could use some (a lot) of improvement and I liked the original version a thousand times better. It left me feeling very mystified at the end and that made it a unique attraction in my book.

I liked the original show better, the updates I can not put my finger on what I do not like. Aside from that I don't know how common this is but I usually notice the effects need some calibrating, so the magic is destroyed. But walkthrus don't seem to work out very well in American themeparks :lol: I noticed every time I went to see the Trike in JP people would run past the "line", skip around the "pre-show" trying to get right to the "main attraction" only to realize it is what they skipped as they are at the exit :bonk: Maybe Poseidon would draw in more people if it were a people mover :pound:

I don't think this should actually happen, but it would be awesome if they turned PF into a self-guided kid's play attraction. Imagine letting kids run wild through an abandoned temple, exploring secret rooms, and playing on (rubberized) rockwork. What kid wouldn't want to do that? "Legends of the Hidden Temple" anyone?

What was the original version? I know it was changed back reallyyyy early on but to be honest I don't remember a whole lot of it or what was different (I was living in California at that time). What was changed in the update, or is there a more recent one that I haven't seen yet?

What was the original version? I know it was changed back reallyyyy early on but to be honest I don't remember a whole lot of it or what was different (I was living in California at that time). What was changed in the update, or is there a more recent one that I haven't seen yet?

Basically Poseidon (Voiced by Jeremy Irons which give it cool points) was the antagonist and Zeus was the protagonist still...there was still fire and water and the water vortex..only the story was more intricate and people were confused (shocker)...the original was amazing

Reactions: TylerDurden

In the first room, the actor was old man with a white beard and identified himself as "The Keeper". He came crawling out of the hole in the wall, where he lived. He told a very enchanting story about the battle between Zeus and Poseidon which played out via a light show on the ceiling of the first room. The lights would illuminate various parts of the many paintings in the room and they were all elements of the story. Basically, Poseidon was PISSED that he got banished to the ocean and was forever mad at Zeus.

You moved into the second room, and the main focus was the circular door. Lasers would trace various images in the door as the interlocking rings would twist and turn to form new ones. For some reason or another, the "oracle" on top of the door told us we had to go to the bottom of the sea, and she would grant us safe passage through the vortex. All the rings on the door eventually lined up to reveal an image of Poseidon, and the door slid away revealing the vortex.

When you went into the final room, it was in its largest form upon entry -- a huge underwater palace. Poseidon came out and threatened everyone, and then the "Keeper" transforms into Zeus (surprise!) and they battle it out. It wasn't real people in the video, it was all CGI characters. The battle was much more intense. Zeus defeats Poseidon and then all hell breaks loose because the temple starts to fall apart. As a final desperate attempt to save you, Zeus says a magical incantation:

"Ancient titans of Heaven and Earth,
Restore these mortals to the land of their birth.
For mercy's sake I call on thee,
Deliver them from beneath the sea.
Lest not we tend an ocean grave,
I call upon their lives to save!"

You get hit with a blast of steam and a fireball and the lights go out for about 5 seconds and it's utter confusion. When they come back on, everything is dead quiet, and you are in the exact same room you were in before you went through the vortex.

And that's what pisses me off. The entire building was designed around this one effect: You are in a room, you go through the vortex, and then you magically get transported back to the room you were in by grace of the gods. Nobody expected it. Now the effect is ruined and not as impactful.

They also added a lot of Indiana Jones stuff in the re-do. Old radios, cobwebs, skeletons, treasures. None of that was in the old version. Where all the treasures are now in the second room, there was just pools of water shimmering.

And that's what pisses me off. The entire building was designed around this one effect: You are in a room, you go through the vortex, and then you magically get transported back to the room you were in by grace of the gods. Nobody expected it. Now the effect is ruined and not as impactful.

This^. It was truly amazing the first time I saw it (same goes for the water vortex, which still holds up). Also the original script had a less juvenile feel. May not have been a traditional take on Zeus/Poseidon, but I think anyone over 11 immediately recognizes "Lord Darkenon" is not a Greek god.