The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean Simpsons land is always packed....so they can do it

Once again, hoping they move the tram so we can use the hill. The hill can be used for soooo many ride buildings over what they are using it for now.
Then they could do a fully fleshed out dark ride. Never though of that. But I still would love to see Universal use that patent I shared. It would be a unique take on a dark ride that has not been done before really.

I’m a semi-regular DL visitor and I just spent nearly a week in WDW — unless it’s a Marvel, Star Wars, or Pixar property, it’s clearly not getting prioritized. I don’t think Disney is desperate to get Simpsons stuff into their parks. If they were, they could have easily bought Universal out of their contract. The reality is, the current arrangement is mutually beneficial for both parties. Disney doesn’t have to devote resources into incorporating the property, they just earn off the licensing fee; Universal keeps a popular evergreen property. Neither party has to knock down/rebuild anything or reorganize a production budget; they can move forward with the bigger priorities they have.

Unless Disney decides to be jerks about it (which is entirely possible), or if Universal decides they wanna knock it all down and do something brand new, I’d personally bet on Simpsons staying for a good long while.

I’m a semi-regular DL visitor and I just spent nearly a week in WDW — unless it’s a Marvel, Star Wars, or Pixar property, it’s clearly not getting prioritized. I don’t think Disney is desperate to get Simpsons stuff into their parks. If they were, they could have easily bought Universal out of their contract. The reality is, the current arrangement is mutually beneficial for both parties. Disney doesn’t have to devote resources into incorporating the property, they just earn off the licensing fee; Universal keeps a popular evergreen property. Neither party has to knock down/rebuild anything or reorganize a production budget; they can move forward with the bigger priorities they have.

Unless Disney decides to be jerks about it (which is entirely possible), or if Universal decides they wanna knock it all down and do something brand new, I’d personally bet on Simpsons staying for a good long while.

And for the reason of grading across the hillside? What about then, when they would have to regrade portions of the hillside that have been damaged over the past 20+ years?

And for the reason of grading across the hillside? What about then, when they would have to regrade portions of the hillside that have been damaged over the past 20+ years?
Sure, this too. We know that’s a key reason behind the F&F coaster being built — those buildings are gonna have to come down regardless. Might as well build something new.

The same could happen with Simpsons. My point is, it will stay until removing it becomes (for whatever reason) unavoidable.

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Clive
We just walk past the Simpsons ride every visit and never give going on it any kind of conversation. The area is cute though.

Here are the types of rides I think could replace The Simpsons and that parcel of land on the upper lot if USH is willing to reroute the tram station to the lower lot to make two decent sized attractions. For a attraction that could fit into the Simpsons plot, I think a ride like Midway Mania but on a larger scale that would use the screen and gaming tech from Villain Con Minion Blast at USF could work, as for the plot where the tram load and unload station is, I was thinking a dark ride using the stacked dark ride patent I shared on this forum a while back. If it does come true and NBCU buys WBD, (big if I know) This part can be themed to Hanna Barbara. The Midway Mania esq ride in the Simpsons plot can be a Wacky Racers/catch all ride featuring Hanna Barbara where you team to stop Dick Dastardly and the Hooded Claw ( no they have not captured Penelope Pitstop) from unraveling the universe and the stacked dark ride can the themed to Scooby Doo. I have always though that ride patent would pair well with a haunted house type of dark ride.

Here are the types of rides I think could replace The Simpsons and that parcel of land on the upper lot if USH is willing to reroute the tram station to the lower lot to make two decent sized attractions. For a attraction that could fit into the Simpsons plot, I think a ride like Midway Mania but on a larger scale that would use the screen and gaming tech from Villain Con Minion Blast at USF could work, as for the plot where the tram load and unload station is, I was thinking a dark ride using the stacked dark ride patent I shared on this forum a while back. If it does come true and NBCU buys WBD, (big if I know) This part can be themed to Hanna Barbara. The Midway Mania esq ride in the Simpsons plot can be a Wacky Racers/catch all ride featuring Hanna Barbara where you team to stop Dick Dastardly and the Hooded Claw ( no they have not captured Penelope Pitstop) from unraveling the universe and the stacked dark ride can the themed to Scooby Doo. I have always though that ride patent would pair well with a haunted house type of dark ride.
The hard part really is the Tram area.....if they choose a new area for the tram to go then they can easily make a bigger 2-3 story attraction but with the Tram as is....we are more limited

This thread is to speculate and discuss the future of Springfield and The Simpsons Ride, not pitch our own ideas for what could replace it. Please take original attraction ideas/armchair Universal Creative/etc. to another thread.

I was rereading the other Simpsons ride forum. One post mentioned the Simpsons building at USH has had foundation issues because when the ride is in motion the shaking has damaged the hill's foundation. When they demo the show building and do a new ride do you think Universal will choose a ride system that won't cause foundational damage to the hill or is that unavoidable based on the location of the current and (down the line) future ride building? And if there was a way to do a ride system that would not damage the foundation (or at least a much as the current Simpsons one) would the SCOOP ride system from Spiderman and now the USB Jurassic World ride be an option? Or the stacked dark ride patent as well?

I was rereading the other Simpsons ride forum. One post mentioned the Simpsons building at USH has had foundation issues because when the ride is in motion the shaking has damaged the hill's foundation. When they demo the show building and do a new ride do you think Universal will choose a ride system that won't cause foundational damage to the hill or is that unavoidable based on the location of the current and (down the line) future ride building? And if there was a way to do a ride system that would not damage the foundation (or at least a much as the current Simpsons one) would the SCOOP ride system from Spiderman and now the USB Jurassic World ride be an option? Or the stacked dark ride patent as well?
If they have no plans to use the rest of that side of the hill for other attractions (rumors that the tram area will move so the pathway down the hill is kinda up for grabs) but lets say they decide not to put another ride on the hill.

I hope they demo the building and make a 2-3 story attraction and make it wider this time. I'd assume it will be either a screen/dark ride like Transformers/Spiderman but with whatever IP they choose...i used to want Pokemon there...but the land is kinda small and since they are going to have the tram area gone/more sound stages gone I'd rather Pokemon use a new space area made just for it and whatever replaces Simpsons is more at the level of a Transformers then Pokemon...heck the movie they might make a ride based on this might not even be out yet since we still have 4 ish years before it has to close

If they have no plans to use the rest of that side of the hill for other attractions (rumors that the tram area will move so the pathway down the hill is kinda up for grabs) but lets say they decide not to put another ride on the hill.

I hope they demo the building and make a 2-3 story attraction and make it wider this time. I'd assume it will be either a screen/dark ride like Transformers/Spiderman but with whatever IP they choose...i used to want Pokemon there...but the land is kinda small and since they are going to have the tram area gone/more sound stages gone I'd rather Pokemon use a new space area made just for it and whatever replaces Simpsons is more at the level of a Transformers then Pokemon...heck the movie they might make a ride based on this might not even be out yet since we still have 4 ish years before it has to close
If they use the tram stop for theme park expansion how will they hide the backside of the HP Forbidden Journey show building? Maybe that area (the tram stop) will just consist of a show building for the attraction and you enter into it where the current entrance and exit for the tram stop is now/

If they use the tram stop for theme park expansion how will they hide the backside of the HP Forbidden Journey show building? Maybe that area (the tram stop) will just consist of a show building for the attraction and you enter into it where the current entrance and exit for the tram stop is now/
You can see that now from the tram Q

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
If the rumors of Comcast possibly purchasing or merging with Warner Brothers in 2024 turn out to be true (and if Universal can purchase the park rights from Six Flags), how about possibly reskinning Simpsons land into Gotham City? I could even see Universal knocking down the Simpsons ride building and replacing it with the original concept Universal Creative had for the Batcar dark ride or Batjet roller coaster that was planned for Islands of Adventure.

If the rumors of Comcast possibly purchasing or merging with Warner Brothers in 2024 turn out to be true (and if Universal can purchase the park rights from Six Flags), how about possibly reskinning Simpsons land into Gotham City? I could even see Universal knocking down the Simpsons ride building and replacing it with the original concept Universal Creative had for the Batcar dark ride or Batjet roller coaster that was planned for Islands of Adventure.

There is a lot of things that they can do with DC. While they don't have to copy the Avengers Campus model 100% They should at least make it so that new characters in the James Gunn DCU can easily show up. And since they have floated a multiverse model they can have attractions like a DC super pets attractions that has the screen and gaming tech from Villain Con but longer and more fleshed out with a Midway Mania style ride car as the family attraction This would go in the Simpsons plot. If they can relocate the tram load and unload area, they can use that for the E ticket. Which I feel should be Universal's take on the Multiverse E ticket coming to DCA where you team up with all major DC heroes and fight off all villains from anywhere and everywhere. It can also be designed to add in new heroes and villains as they debut in their respective movies and HBOMAX shows. And the ride can have random sequences where each time a guest rides the villains they encounter will be different like Star Tours to add re ride ability. They could also go all out with DC and build a billion dollar TDS Fantasy springs style land in the area currently occupied by all those soundstages behind transformers and mummy. But I personally doubt that they would go the billion dollar Fantasy springs route since this is going to be cloned at other Universal parks and that would run up to 4 billon if they cloned it at Orlando, Beijing, and Singapore.

Reactions: joerodriguez
While there is no specific time in 2028 on when the Simpsons could go, some have surmised it could be either at the beginning of the year or in May as that month would mark 20 years when the ride first opened in 2008. If the ride closes in May of 2028 or earlier with the aim of having the ride's replacement open in 2030, would the building sit empty for several months (sans some demo work on the inside) and would not start to get fully torn down until later of the year due to the Olympics going on for would they go full bore from the start and go to town tearing the building down fully. I ask this as back in March 2018 when Avengers Campus was announced for DCA Disney revealed It's Tough to Be a Bug closed for good to make way for the new land. And I think I read over on the WDW forums the reason why they closed Tough To Be a Bug in March was for cost saving measures. And the building sat largely untouched (unless there was demo work going on in the inside) for several months until about August 2018 which is when I believe when the walls around said building were pushed out and an excavator appeared to really start the construction for what is now Web Slingers.

I would assume that’s a backend user error before assuming it means anything about Simpsons. Even if it is going away in 2028, it’s safe to assume it’ll be in operation for a few more years at least. I don’t think they’d intentionally remove it from the site unless it was officially closed, or if some change was imminent, and obviously nothing is imminent and everything is still operating.

"Springfield" didn't appear on Universal Orlando maps for quite a while after the land was introduced. I don't remember the exact details, but it sounds like negotiations/approvals had to happen with those stakeholders... so I wouldn't read too much into its non-presence here.