The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Honestly, what other Universal owned property is as big as Simpsons that has the opportunity of a replacement to Springfield? I don’t see much that does so well in sales of merchandise and food as good as Simpsons does.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Honestly, what other Universal owned property is as big as Simpsons that has the opportunity of a replacement to Springfield? I don’t see much that does so well in sales of merchandise and food as good as Simpsons does.

The only one I'd argue is Pokemon, but everyone is insistent that's being saved for EU.

Who said it has to be as big as Springfield? If anything, @SnideRemarksDept hit the nail on the head, and I think the smart play is to not make it as large as Simpsons to begin with.

And yes, I genuinely think it'll lapse in 2028. We are seeing it already with the USJ Marvel Contract, that Universal is intending to wipe their hands from Disney in the terms of contracts that actually have an end-date. Why would they think logistically to extend the contract?

Reactions: SnideRemarksDept
I guess someone explain to me why IP doesn't matter when F&F Coaster is being made and has little merch to sell but thats a smart move?

Like if the IP has to be be as big as the Simpsons then your limiting the area to Nintendo Or Potter.

They could also make it "studio" land and make it Bourne Show or something like it and retheme the restaurants to ET, Back to the Future, and Jaws.
I mean Universal is literally making a Monstersland right now and those movies are from almost 90 years, every time they have tried to make new Monster films they fail but they are still making a new land with very cool tech. So I think many are over thinking the IP must be bigger then Simpsons to make sense in this space

Reactions: imaleo
Who said it has to be as big as Springfield? If anything, @SnideRemarksDept hit the nail on the head, and I think the smart play is to not make it as large as Simpsons to begin with.

And yes, I genuinely think it'll lapse in 2028. We are seeing it already with the USJ Marvel Contract, that Universal is intending to wipe their hands from Disney in the terms of contracts that actually have an end-date. Why would they think logistically to extend the contract?
Your probably right, all crowds having to go through Springfield to go down to the tour, and LL. It’ll be even more crowded than it currently is.

If not allowed then delete this but I think this video talks about how Universal is much better at Using IP then Disney.

I once again want to ask if IP must be be able to sell drinks/toys then why is FF coming? Makes zero sense when they could have had another IP like Jurassic, Dreamworks, Nintendo or Potter then just take over. I once again think many are over thinking this and with the state of the simpsons ride, I'm sure Universal is also ready for that area to change

If not allowed then delete this but I think this video talks about how Universal is much better at Using IP then Disney.

I once again want to ask if IP must be be able to sell drinks/toys then why is FF coming? Makes zero sense when they could have had another IP like Jurassic, Dreamworks, Nintendo or Potter then just take over. I once again think many are over thinking this and with the state of the simpsons ride, I'm sure Universal is also ready for that area to change

Disney needs the IP to sell merch because their rides are the after thought. A lot of disney rides are kind of lower tier as of late, or hope that the IP will carry the attraction or area. web slingers is a good example. this is just a rollecoaster. literally insert any IP. they probably did a coin toss. lol

I think they could swing Universal Monsters. It seems pretty popular at HHN every year and Epic Universe is building a land.
They'd need to go in a more family friendly direction or with light horror so that the daytime guests can enjoy it was well.
There's also the possibility that they replace just the Simpsons Ride and keep the land but I'm not too sure Disney would go for that.

I think they could swing Universal Monsters. It seems pretty popular at HHN every year and Epic Universe is building a land.
They'd need to go in a more family friendly direction or with light horror so that the daytime guests can enjoy it was well.
There's also the possibility that they replace just the Simpsons Ride and keep the land but I'm not too sure Disney would go for that.

While Monsters fits the bill in terms of not being too popular so as to cause unreasonable congestion in that tight corridor, the reality is I think it skews too close to the neighboring Wizarding World in terms of aesthetics. There isn't room to put in the signature Monsters headliner, which would also be another kuka robotic arm dark ride right next to Forbidden Journey.

I still think the most plausible option is Simpsons sticks around a while longer.

I still think the most plausible option is Simpsons sticks around a while longer.
I just have to think, logistically that Universal would want to move forward with distancing themselves as far as they realistically can on having IP from Disney be properly represented in the park. Be it if it means changing SpringField USA to be an extension of "Hollywood" with a show like Bourne or Untrainable; or to have an IP that does not attract people the same way that Simpsons, Potter, or Nintendo do.

Feels like a dumb call that could be made.

Reactions: nicodingus
I just have to think, logistically that Universal would want to move forward with distancing themselves as far as they realistically can on having IP from Disney be properly represented in the park. Be it if it means changing SpringField USA to be an extension of "Hollywood" with a show like Bourne or Untrainable; or to have an IP that does not attract people the same way that Simpsons, Potter, or Nintendo do.

I really think they don't care as long as The Simpsons makes money (it makes lots) and Disney doesn't dramatically change the terms of the agreement. Obviously things could change if Disney makes the renewal terms unacceptably unfavorable or if The Simpson Ride's aging system completely fails. But for now, path of least resistance.

this feels like what the phrase, “cutting off your nose to spite your face” was meant for. I don’t think most people think of the Simpsons as a Disney property, if they think about who owns it at all. if it’s still working for the park and they can get a deal done, I think it makes sense.

edit: lmao @Clive was too quick for me.

Kind of hope Simpsons stays and they just reanimate the ride film tbh. It's nice having a really funny theme park attraction. Minion Mayhem and Kung Fu Panda are cute, but they're nowhere near as irreverent as Simpsons (duh).

Reactions: Nico and Mad Dog
They should keep Simpsons until they're ready to make this a Tokyo/Pokemon land.
Assuming they can work something out with the Pokemon Company, Pokemon would be up there on my list of what could replace Simpsons. @Tomfoolery who is according to other users on this forum is pretty accurate for the things he predicts, said over the Anime at Universal Parks thread said: "Who's to say a deal has already been worked out?" That makes me hopeful Pokemon comes to the domestic Universal parks. The IP is super popular, has a lot of potential for theme parks, and would be a game changer if brought to the US parks.

Another option I am wondering about if they can't get the rights to or decide not to bring Pokemon to the American parks would be something Illumination related if they are willing to expand beyond the existing area with Pets and Minion Mayhem.