The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would be pretty disappointed if it's a city based land, I was hoping for a more naturey land like Pandora
The lands location on the waterfront kind of necessitates an urban environment. If it was going into KidZone maybe they could’ve gone with a more natural area.
I’d assume an original region/area filled with plenty of the motifs the series is known for. Pokemon Centers, those stores with the blue roof, a gym, the works etc… Out of these pieces of art, I’d definitely prefer the middle, should pair well with Florida climate.
The last two areas I posted have those but not a typical “gym.” The first is Pokétopia from the Wii game Pokémon Battle Revolution. It has multiple different Colosseums you fight in until you get to the Leader but the city itself isn’t explored. It’s just a battle sim. The second two are the Battle Frontiers from Emerald and Platinum respectively. Same basic idea but since these are in main games you do walk around them and find your typical Pokémon Center and PokéMart.

Personally I’d take inspiration from the neon city. Include a Safari Zone (my ride idea from earlier) and have battles in a Pokémon Stadium.

Having recently been on it in the last few months, WEB Slingers completely turned me off on anything requiring the guest to gesture with their arms.

I'm honestly not sure how WEB Slingers got greenlit. It's not something that people with upper mobility issues can fully enjoy without paying for power up merchandise. Rides like Toy Story Mania require a lot less exertion.

As for merchandise, of course Pokemon is top. The cards alone is a money maker. Stores can't keep them in stock half the time. It isn't always the other merchandise, you see less of that and my kids care less about it. They want shirts, 1 or 2 plushies, and the cards and things to carry the cards in.

Pokemon would smoke Simpsons in merchandise sales.

I hear you, but you're saying this in a thread about USF getting a new land faster than initially anticipated lol. If Pokemon is 2027 for example, USF will have gotten, Fallon, F&F, Bourne, Villain-Con, Dreamworks Land, a new nighttime show, and Pokemon Land all in a decade. Whether it fits our personal taste or not, it's not like they're sitting on their hands.

FFL going finally is the dream (as was KidZone lol), but Simpsons' contract situation may have made it a larger priority. Hard to say without having the full details.

I think there's more lifespan for FFL as a flex theater than there is left in the Simpsons Ride. I haven't been on it in years because of how degraded the experience has become, even after the 4K upgrade. I end up in the FFL theater at least once every HHN.

The “higher score” thing is really interesting and illustrative. Point “scores” really haven’t been a focus (or even a prominent element) of video games for decades. Almost every modern game has different goals (usually narrative, aesthetic, collectibles, and/or exploration). I’d argue “scores” are associated primarily with arcades, which are as dead as a doornail, and very rapidly declined as a focus of gaming with the home gaming revolution. So in the interest of trying to appeal to a young audience and innovate, theme parks are returning to a relatively ancient model with which no one under 40 ever really engaged.

The scoring aspect works for theme parks because it gets people to be competitive with each other. It can also be used for other purposes like changing the ending of the ride depending on the score like you get in MIB. I'd argue the only kind of gaming that works on a theme park ride is one that keeps score.

---

Some random thoughts - Maybe they remove the sprung tents and the show building for The Simpsons Ride while leaving Springfield largely untouched for the beginning stages of this switch. They build phase 1 of Pokemon in that now vacant area. We get the Pokemon ride built with a scoring system and an AR shooter type score keeping ride (aka a plussed up MIB). That opens with a path to MIB and Springfield gets walled off and demolished. Phase 2 of Pokemon opens months later with another path along the lagoon essentially giving you a USH Hogsmeade layout with shops in the middle between two paths. Now, with your Pokemon (MIB 2.0) ride completed, MIB & FFL go down together for a new land with a new IP.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Mad Dog
Having never ridden Mario Kart yet, my thoughts on AR:

Creating a story based ride out of a major, worldwide leading game, is very tricky. The stories and characters of a longtime video game series are different than a movie’s characters and settings being brought into a ride. It’s much harder to get a “best of everything” ride in a video game story based ride.

So, since it’s a video game, this is a clever excuse for both Nintendo and Universal to create a new game for these characters that guests can experience more intimately.

I’d love AA’s, however for a main ride using AR for heavily animated, fast paced moving characters, isn’t realistic for Pokémon. You can’t AA a Pokémon and Pokeball, I just don’t think that’s realistic. This ride sounds fun, may not be my favorite but it seems like the right concept to me.

Just to make sure I understand Alicia's video, this rumored Pokemon project and the rumored Zelda land in LC are rumored to have swapped timelines, putting this around 2027 and Zelda afterwards?

Just to make sure I understand Alicia's video, this rumored Pokemon project and the rumored Zelda land in LC are rumored to have swapped timelines, putting this around 2027 and Zelda afterwards?
At least according to rumors, yes. Pokémon seemed to be scheduled for 2030, but now they’ve swapped that projects timeline within Zelda, making Pokémon 2027, and Zelda 2030 ish. That’s the rumor as of now.

Literally just speculation based on lack of movement for Zelda and sudden rumors for Simpsons closing. But there are other rumored factors at play not mentioned in the video that lead me to believe it’s definitely possible.

Best case scenario of course would be Pokemon plans moved up and Zelda plans stay in place. But I have little faith in them doing that much at the same time. We shall see.

Literally just speculation based on lack of movement for Zelda and sudden rumors for Simpsons closing. But there are other rumored factors at play not mentioned in the video that lead me to believe it’s definitely possible.

Best case scenario of course would be Pokemon plans moved up and Zelda plans stay in place. But I have little faith in them doing that much at the same time. We shall see.
Just speculating, I think a lot of decisions will be made on Zelda specifically once Epic Universe is actually open, and the construction crews/contracts have more availability here. Maybe helps move up Zelda if Universal feels aggressive.

LOL, could you guys imagine if Lost Continent sits unused like it is now for 6 years?
That would be egregiously unacceptable. LC has to be the priority and, quite frankly, F&F has to be number 2 due to the Diesel situation. Simpsons is a distant third.

As to interactivity, it should also be noted that, unlike Mario and Zelda, Pokémon’s long term success has heavily centered not just on the games but on wildly popular TV shows and films. Only a portion of Pokemon media is interactive.

The Snap idea was a perfect compromise - AAs and a slightly different kind of interactivity that could have opened all sorts of personalized merchandising opportunities.

Reactions: TylerG
It's been nearly 6 years since Sinbad closed... so yikes lol
No that can’t be.

*checks calendar*

Disgust GIF

It'll be interesting to see how Universal tackles/overcomes the next few years post-Epic. Disney spread itself way too thin with 4 parks, so we'll see how fast they can get through all of these projects.
Looks like they’re just betting on Nintendo. Is there anything non-Nintendo in the pipeline that’s not already being built as part of Epic besides the Great Hall?

Care to share? :cool:

Also is any of that stuff coming in between the Nintendo stuff or does it seem like Pokémon, Luigi, and Zelda are all next?
Alicia just put out a video on the newest rumors

I'm sure the other rumors are so far away there is little reason to spill the tea right now because event Zelda feels 5+ years away

But just to be fun a speculate my guess is more Mario attractions and maybe Animal crossing or if they really want to inject lots of IP's into the park sooner then later something super smash related but....my guess is for now it will be the safer IP's

(lol, if we are talking none Nintendo IP, my guesses are more minions, Shrek and maybe Spongebob depending on how well it does at the Texas park)

Last edited:
Alicia just put out a video on the newest rumors

I'm sure the other rumors are so far away there is little reason to spill the tea right now because event Zelda feels 5+ years away

But just to be fun a speculate my guess is more Mario attractions and maybe Animal crossing or if they really want to inject lots of IP's into the park sooner then later something super smash related but....my guess is for now it will be the safer IP's
I was talking about stuff coming that isn’t Nintendo lol

I’d assume an original region/area filled with plenty of the motifs the series is known for. Pokemon Centers, those stores with the blue roof, a gym, the works etc… Out of these pieces of art, I’d definitely prefer the middle, should pair well with Florida climate.

I’d be surprised if the main attraction was something as frantic as Web Slingers. Sounds like any gestures you make on the ride would more deliberate and selective than waving your arms about with no reason. Could be a really awesome and unique implementation of AR if they can pull it off.
I agree, when I watched I didn't come back with just frantic movements, that it would combine tech and be more deliberate movements and not just constant throw something at screen.

I really think letting LC sit with nothing being done is a huge mistake for that park.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
How big is the Simpsons area in Hollywood? Because I’ve been thinking that with all the Nintendo stuff coming to Orlando, Hollywood could get something of its own over us as a replacement. Namely a Hollywood version of LotR if Universal Great Britain actually gets that or would they also just get Pokémon?

In addition to what I posted in the other thread since there was a bit of mix discussion yesterday:

This but with Pokémon (MK non-AR):

I don't think flapping my arms or trying to battle or catch Pokémon through AR/VR works for Pokémon in a way that's going to be satifsying as a ride. In MK it's okay but it's also almost unnecessary for the ride itself because it looks so good without the goggles. I think something along the lines of a safari adventure in the form of an ET/Haunted Mansion/SLoP/Yoshi dark ride (no goggles, heavy on animatronics and quality visual effects) is the way to go. Imagine a Dinosaur or Indiana Jones-type adventure ride in thrill level with a Pokémon professor narrating.

My strong opinion is that if it isn't reminiscent of a Pokémon Snap trip isn't going to work as well as it could otherwise. I don't say that to doubt the capability of Universal Creative because they obviously have done incredible things but thinking about rides that do require goggles across the resort and the physical set-heavy ones without them... for Pokémon, make it all as real as possible and don't make me watch it through special glasses. It doesn't sound like that'll be the case unfortunately.

My wish for a Pokémon stage show: Start with a simple setup like a gym leader character made just for this land and Pokémon trainers are competing for their gym badge. A Pokémon stunt show around Pokémon training would be cool to see, like Bourne or WW but actors dodging fire and water attacks with Team Rocket shenanigans.

Out of all the things coming down the pipeline Pokémon is definitely one I'm both excited and impatient for. I sincerely hope they knock it out!

I want to add to my comment: Universal have proven they're great at thinking outside the box. For the love of Kanto I hope this time they stay in the box. Literally one of these two boxes is fine.

pkmnsnap.jpg

It's going to be tough because while I know the land will be made for a wide range of guests I'm going to wager it'll be heavily leaning on adults who've been waiting for this for years. Yes I'm sure some will bring their kids, maybe. :p It'll be interesting to see Pokémon crowd numbers compared to Potter's.

while I like Mario Kart, it's already a bit confusing for first-time riders in my experience.
I'm highlighting this because it's fantastic point to make about Pokémon and how it differs from Mario Kart.

MK is basically a racing game in its simplest form and go-kart racing is something most people are familiar with. It's frantic and fast-paced and being a little confused after your first few races (or rides as the case may be) is almost expected and part of the experience. It's not a very deep game.

Pokémon isn't like that. Putting the battles aside there's this whole other part that very much like Pandora as someone else pointed out. There's an emphasis on exploration, nature, and connecting to people with side quests, usually to get a special item, which also expand on the lore and main storyline of whatever game you're playing; the show is similar. It's probably hard to find anyone more emotionally attached to MK over PKMN within the general public.

Trying to go for that individual experience the games give you in a group setting isn't going to work. Pokémon training has very personal play styles and tactics. As much as I'd like the idea of having some interactive function, be it through goggles or some button on the vehicle I don't want my first time on a Pokémon ride be focused on trying to figure out the controls. I also don't want the experience reduced to basic video game mechanics behind goggles.

A simple dark ride packed with Pokémon animatronics from floor to ceiling through different biomes is all I want. No gimmicks, scores, apple or Poké Ball throwing. Leave the gaming portions for the app or special interactive wand-like Poké Ball for when you're outside in the actual land.

Creating a story based ride out of a major, worldwide leading game, is very tricky. The stories and characters of a longtime video game series are different than a movie’s characters and settings being brought into a ride. It’s much harder to get a “best of everything” ride in a video game story based ride.

So, since it’s a video game, this is a clever excuse for both Nintendo and Universal to create a new game for these characters that guests can experience more intimately.
What's perfect with Pokémon is that in every game you usually start fresh as a new character that's introduced to a new professor with new Pokémon to discover, and of course a new land that contains it all.

There are references and lore-related items for the geeks and little things that carry over in some fashion but you don't need to be aware of any of that to get what's going on in the game you're playing. They're self-contained stories, not games that have direct sequels in the usual sense. That may have changed in more recent games (I haven't played them) but I think that recipe has stayed the same since the first generation.

Telling guests they're newly minted trainers who've arrived in a new land is a natural part of the games and show. Would I love to visit old places? Sure! I would also be just as excited to see a completely unique location. Either way 'where' it's located isn't an issue since most towns in the games and show have the same things (a gym, Poké Mart, Pokémon Center, etc.) with similar characters (Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, etc). The main characters in the show are traveling all the time anyway so they could swap out which ones are used for the meet-n-greets in the new land so they could swap different ones from each series seamlessly.

Creatively I don't see this part of the land giving Universal trouble. It's not the same problem with trying to convince Star Wars fans to visit a completely new land because a new land is part of the Pokémon experience. I think the focus/worry is on how they go about the main attraction.

Reactions: belloq87 and Mike S