The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Should any of us even want them to keep the ride?

And again, Disney won’t license out character they DONT use in theme parks to Universal for HHN, why would they continue a licensing deal with characters that they for sure would use in the parks in some capacity, even if it’s only a M&G?
Not convinced at all that Disney envisions The Simpsons in their parks. Outside of Runaway Railroad and the Splash Mountain re-do, the priority for Disney parks is very obviously Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar.

The fact of the matter is arranging some sort of licensing deal is a cost and resource saver for both organizations that allows them to move forward with higher priorities for their parks. Were it not for the Fox/Disney merger, we're not having the convo -- there's never been any indication Universal wants to ditch this property. And again, unless it's Marvel, Star Wars or Pixar, it's probably not part of Disney's future plans (immediate or long term); their margins are thin and getting thinner, I don't see them sinking more money into developing Simpsons stuff for parks when they can just cash Universal's licensing fee.

Unless Disney decides to be stubborn about it (which is highly possible), I think Simpsons remains at Universal Studios for a good long while.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Not convinced at all that Disney envisions The Simpsons in their parks. Outside of Runaway Railroad and the Splash Mountain re-do, the priority for Disney parks is very obviously Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar.

The fact of the matter is arranging some sort of licensing deal is a cost and resource saver for both organizations that allows them to move forward with higher priorities for their parks. Were it not for the Fox/Disney merger, we're not having the convo -- there's never been any indication Universal wants to ditch this property. And again, unless it's Marvel, Star Wars or Pixar, it's probably not part of Disney's future plans (immediate or long term); their margins are thin and getting thinner, I don't see them sinking more money into developing Simpsons stuff for parks when they can just cash Universal's licensing fee.

Unless Disney decides to be stubborn about it (which is highly possible), I think Simpsons remains at Universal Studios for a good long while.
Ah, but Disney can use very little of Marvel in WDW and their Marvel land is already built at DCA, just waiting on an E-ticket.

And i'm not talking about some massive spend, i'm literally talking about a indoor or outdoor M&G with the Simpson's with a photo op inside their house and then some F&B and merch opportunities. This could literally be done in the old Pixar Place area at DHS. There's an Indoor M&G location still sitting there, there's a merch area, and there's space to sell F&B. It would be incredibly easy and cheap.

Based on this thread, I can’t figure out if the Simpsons rumor is popular based on reality or wish fufillment. It feels like most people want Disney to deny the extension so Universal has to make something new.
Personally, I don't think Disney will extend, but I also am in the camp of simply hoping it doesn't happen so that Universal has to start over. That area needs new life.

Ah, but Disney can use very little of Marvel in WDW and their Marvel land is already built at DCA, just waiting on an E-ticket.

And i'm not talking about some massive spend, i'm literally talking about a indoor or outdoor M&G with the Simpson's with a photo op inside their house and then some F&B and merch opportunities. This could literally be done in the old Pixar Place area at DHS. There's an Indoor M&G location still sitting there, there's a merch area, and there's space to sell F&B. It would be incredibly easy and cheap.
Guess I shoulda said "Avengers" and not Marvel. Point being: if it's not those three, it's not on the roadmap.

Think about what's actually "incredibly easy and cheap": sitting back and charging another company a fee for a license to something they very much want to keep so you can use that money to fund your higher priorities, or reallocating time, money, labor, and resources just to give a non-priority property a marginal presence in your park?

It doesn't make sense, and frankly, it's not good business. I don't see it happening unless Disney does it on a matter of principle.

Guess I shoulda said "Avengers" and not Marvel. Point being: if it's not those three, it's not on the roadmap.

Think about what's actually "incredibly easy and cheap": sitting back and charging another company a fee for a license to something they very much want to keep so you can use that money to fund your higher priorities, or reallocating time, money, labor, and resources just to give a non-priority property a marginal presence in your park?

It doesn't make sense, and frankly, it's not good business. I don't see it happening unless Disney does it on a matter of principle.
It's not good business to do a lot of the things they do. Based on everything Disney has done and continues to do, it tells me they want their own IP in their own hands, not in the hands of a competitor.

Also, does Universal even want to keep Simpsons beyond its current contract is another question that's being completely ignored. The ride system will be 38 years old in 2028 and The Simpsons may well not even be on the air. Why would Universal want to keep paying Disney and paying them a % of sales? Especially when they could simply keep the FFB section rethemed and build a new main ride all under an IP where Universal keeps 100% of profit.

It's not good business to do a lot of the things they do. Based on everything Disney has done and continues to do, it tells me they want their own IP in their own hands, not in the hands of a competitor.
Totally agree that Disney has made the wrong move plenty of times. But things are like, especially shaky at the moment. They brought the big guy back to execute a plan and I don’t think that plan includes putting a Simpsons meet and greet in Disneyworld. They’re gonna sit back and collect Universal’s milk money so they can get their other (more important, more revenue-generating) projects across the board. Maybe that changes in ten or so years, idk, but it isn’t changing anytime soon.

Also, does Universal even want to keep Simpsons beyond it's current contract is another question that's being completely ignored. The ride system will be 38 years old in 2028 and The Simpsons may well not even be on the air.
Like I said, if the Fox/Disney merger never happened, we’re not even discussing this. There’s never been a sign they want to ditch the property. Hollywood would not be prioritizing the stuff it’s prioritizing if there was any thought of removing Simpsons. They’ll remove it when/if Disney forces them.

Like I said, if the Fox/Disney merger never happened, we’re not even discussing this. There’s never been a sign they want to ditch the property. Hollywood would not be prioritizing the stuff it’s prioritizing if there was any thought of removing Simpsons. They’ll remove it when/if Disney forces them.
Sony hasn't merged with Disney and we've discussed plenty of times that it may be time for that ride to go after Epic. Why? It's old and parts for the ride system are no longer manufactured. The Simpson's Ride is far older than even MIB. I don't think it's silly to think that Universal may want to get rid of a ride that's close to 40 years old.

Totally agree that Disney has made the wrong move plenty of times. But things are like, especially shaky at the moment. They brought the big guy back to execute a plan and I don’t think that plan includes putting a Simpsons meet and greet in Disneyworld. They’re gonna sit back and collect Universal’s milk money so they can get their other (more important, more revenue-generating) projects across the board. Maybe that changes in ten or so years, idk, but it isn’t changing anytime soon.
"The big guy" is the guy who bought out many deals from Netflix and other streamers so Disney+ wouldn't have to share their content. The didn't re-up the HBO-Fox contract that just expired at the end of 2022 and it's widely expected that Disney is going to pay Comcast many billions for Hulu next year. That all is easy money they are choosing to pass on under Iger.

Disney doesn't like to share.

Sony hasn't merged with Disney and we've discussed plenty of times that it may be time for that ride to go after Epic. Why? It's old and parts for the ride system are no longer manufactured. The Simpson's Ride is far older than even MIB. I don't think it's silly to think that Universal may want to get rid of a ride that's close to 40 years old.
I don't think it's silly to think it either -- there's just no indication that it's happening. In fact, there's only the opposite. There's so much change coming for both Hollywood and Orlando in the coming years and none of it involves The Simpsons. Given the state of the current agreement and all the timeframes in place, Universal would be well into plans for replacing the property if something (anything) was imminent, and there's just nothing out there whatsoever that points to that.

The Simpsons won't be in Universal forever but it's not leaving anytime soon, unless Disney decides to Disney. But I don't see them doing that this time. Too much on the line.

"The big guy" is the guy who bought out many deals from Netflix and other streamers so Disney+ wouldn't have to share their content. The didn't re-up the HBO-Fox contract that just expired at the end of 2022 and it's widely expected that Disney is going to pay Comcast many billions for Hulu next year. That all is easy money they are choosing to pass on under Iger.

Disney doesn't like to share.
Those deals don’t have anything to do with the parks, necessarily. Any revenue Disney parks can earn from The Simpsons is just as fairly collected from a licensing fee paid to them by Universal, and they don’t have to lift a finger to collect it. Disney doesn’t like to share, I agree, but a certain point, free money is free money and they need as much of that as they can get right now.

Last edited:
I don't think it's silly to think it either -- there's just no indication that it's happening. In fact, there's only the opposite. There's so much change coming for both Hollywood and Orlando in the coming years and none of it involves The Simpsons. Given the state of the current agreement and all the timeframes in place, Universal would be well into plans for replacing the property if something (anything) was imminent, and there's just nothing out there whatsoever that points to that.

The Simpsons won't be in Universal forever but it's not leaving anytime soon, unless Disney decides to Disney. But I don't see them doing that this time. Too much on the line.
You are talking as if we know a concrete plan through 2028 or just beyond (If they run the ride through 2028, downtime in 2029-30 could be expected). I think the bottom line is that it's too early to possibly know what Universal is planning regarding Simpson's right now.

Those deals don’t have anything to do with the parks, necessarily. Any revenue Disney parks can earn from The Simpsons is just as fairly collected from a licensing fee paid to them by Universal, and they don’t have to lift a finger to collect it. Disney doesn’t like to share, I agree, but a certain point, free money is free money and they need as much of that as they can get right now.
But what I have pointed out numerous times that IS related to the parks is that Disney refuses to take free money in terms of lending Universal their horror IP for just a few months. If they refuse to take money for just a few months and they don't use that IP in their parks currently anyway, why should I expect that they'll want to allow Universal to keep one of their properties that they actually do have a relatively easy path to use in their parks?

Until I hear something one way or the other, i'll remain skeptical that Disney will allow a renewal.

M&G, Merch, F&B.

By 2028, I don't think the franchise will warrant a ride, but as long as The Simpsons keep raking in money in other ways, Disney will grab it. There's Animation Courtyard at DHS and Hollywoodland at DCA in dire need for any help that they can get, just saying...
I'd be surprised if there's anything Simpsons related tbh

I get that they are "part of Disney" on paper...but they don't feel "part of Disney" in practicality, specifically the parks

I get what your saying, but it's the one FOX IP, outside Avatar, Disney is actively pushing.
Yup, they are making sure to get continued use of about 4-5 Simpson's Disney+ shorts per year. And it feels pretty natural in that the writers are still allowed to make fun of how it's a synergy push, too.

The other Fox IP I can see coming to the parks potentially (in some fashion) is Planet of the Apes. They've started production on a new film hoping to create another trilogy. I think it's an IP that could make for a fun ride potentially, but I can also see them not using it at all. They need to build a Indy ride in Orlando before they think about other live action stuff.

ANYWAY.... Simpsons thread :lol:

You are talking as if we know a concrete plan through 2028 or just beyond (If they run the ride through 2028, downtime in 2029-30 could be expected). I think the bottom line is that it's too early to possibly know what Universal is planning regarding Simpson's right now.
I don't think it's too early. There are things we know that are happening for sure at Universal, and there are rumors of stuff that could happen (some more likely than others). Replacing The Simpsons has never factored into either category, despite a looming contract expiration in 2028, which, in theme park years, is basically right around the corner. Getting rid of The Mummy in Hollywood has had substantially more rumors and it's not even under contract! If it was on the way out, we'd have a much clearer sign. They'd have Disney buy them out of the contract early so they can have some financial support behind building their replacement. But there's no sign anything like that is happening, which IMO, is actually a huge sign that it's not going anywhere.

But what I have pointed out numerous times that IS related to the parks is that Disney refuses to take free money in terms of lending Universal their horror IP for just a few months. If they refuse to take money for just a few months and they don't use that IP in their parks currently anyway, why should I expect that they'll want to allow Universal to keep one of their properties that they actually do have a relatively easy path to use in their parks?
Probably because the percentages didn't make sense. A few months of usage fees is nowhere near the same as an annual license fee. Simpsons wouldn't be a real moneymaker for the HHN event, either. There's already tons of Simpsons merch in the park; people are used to being surrounded by the IP every time they visit. HHN thrives on novelty.

The Simpsons ride/lands are probably not on Universal’s radar at the moment but definitely will be in the future. It doesn’t make sense to keep updating a ride system that no longer has parts being manufactured.
I'm sure merch sells just fine and all the F&B options in the area are always full

I just need to drop in and say this.

My single, FAVORITE thing to do in the Universal parks.. is grabbing Bumblebee Man Tacos, sitting at Duff Gardens and taking in the atmosphere with a Buzz Cola.

I will be heartbroken when I can no longer do that lol

I just need to drop in and say this.

My single, FAVORITE thing to do in the Universal parks.. is grabbing Bumblebee Man Tacos, sitting at Duff Gardens and taking in the atmosphere with a Buzz Cola.

I will be heartbroken when I can no longer do that lol

I say this with complete sympathy for that feeling, because I've had many "favorite" things disappear from Universal (and Disney) over the years, but...
welcome-to-the-party-pal-welcome-to-the-party.gif

Universal should not hesitate to overhaul the area (if they want to, and who knows if they do!) because of nice atmosphere and some good food/beverage offerings. Space is at a premium in USF, and the number of areas that could be suitable for new lands is pretty finite (especially assuming that Universal absolutely does not want to take over any of the backstage soundstage space).

Also, I'm reasonably confident that any new land on the Springfield plot would likely preserve a nice waterfront area, at the very least.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Also, I'm reasonably confident that any new land on the Springfield plot would likely preserve a nice waterfront area, at the very least.
But will I get to hear Bart scream "WOOOOOAAAAAH" every 5 minutes? No. I won't.

In all seriousness, yes, I know there will likely be a point in time where it will all be gone - it's just sad, lol

I would be ecstatic if they kept the majority of Springfield but replaced the simulators with an entirely new Simpsons attraction. I love the show (in it’s prime) and the sheer amount of episodes just means there is so much to pull from making a new attraction.