The Hat Coming Down | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

The Hat Coming Down

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Horror Make Up. Hitchcock. HRRR. Disaster. Murder She Wrote. Former Tram Tour. Nick Studios.

HMU-Ok you got me there but it isn't every ride
Hitchcock-Closed down doesn't count
HRRR-Nah more like a badly themed rollar coaster
Diaster-Same but minor ride and more of them take you in to the movies than explain to you how they are made
MSW-Closed down
Tram Tour-Closed Down
Nick Studios-So i guess Family Feud counts as well.*sarcasm*

That is exactly what the park it about. The magic and imagination of Hollywood. It's not like Universal, where you are supposed to see how the movies are made, or ride them. DHS is about the magic movies have and how they spark our imagination. The hat is a perfect representation of that magic.

Of course that is one of the things the park is about.

But the Sorcerer's Hat fails to capture that in its entirety.

What does the Sorcerer's Hat make you think of? First thing that comes to mind for me is Disney's works and Fantasia.

But I so do not think of things like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Gone with the Wind, Alien, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, King Kong, or any other kind of non-Disney Hollywood classic when I see it.

As I have stated several times before, The Sorcerer's Hat puts a ridiculous amount of emphasis on Disney, which throws the entire park off balance. I should have rephrased/emphasized this before, but BOTH Chinese Theater and the Earful Tower were the icons simultaneously. The Earful Tower was just the one they used for marketing (Although the Chinese Theater was used in some advertising). The Chinese Theater and the Great Movie Ride symbolized the magic and imagination of EVERYTHING Hollywood. The Earful Tower symbolized the magic behind the works of Disney and the rest of Hollywood.

The park is a tribute to BOTH Disney and Hollywood, and the things that made them great. Here is the dedication to the park:

The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.

-Michael Eisner, May 1, 1989

The park was NEVER intended to emphasis Disney as they do now. The Sorcerer's Hat does just that.

And saying the park isn't about production is way off base. (Unless again, I'm reading you wrong) I actually regret not bringing this up earlier, but one of the things MGM/DHS was built upon was that it was a tribute to the golden Hollywood, yet at the same time, a "dream factory" where the public could not only learn the magic behind Hollywood movies, but learn the secrets behind Disney's creative process up and close. At the end of the day, the guests would find themselves in better appreciation and understanding of movies that made the entertainment industry as great as it is. The removal of the actual production has proved to be disastrous towards the park's overall theme.

This isn't the Disney MGM Studios anymore. Its the Disney Hollywood Studios. The park is different. The icon is different. And the spirit is different.

As I stated earlier, the park is in theme schizophrenia. The Great Movie Ride still well symbolizes the old theme and intent of the park. TOT symbolizes Hollywood's golden age very well without putting an emphasis on Disney, as do Muppets, and other select areas of the park. The rest of the park has dwindled into a mish-mosh dumping ground for things. Has it changed? Sure. Doesn't mean it changed for the better. The Sorcerer's Hat contributes to this problem.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the park is supposed to embody now?

\
Nick Studios-So i guess Family Feud counts as well.*sarcasm*

:doh: Family Feud was a show that just happened to be filmed at Uni, Nick studios was an entire attraction, with tours, and shows that did just happened to get filmed there. NOT the same as FF.

Of course that is one of the things the park is about.

But the Sorcerer's Hat fails to capture that in its entirety.

What does the Sorcerer's Hat make you think of? First thing that comes to mind for me is Disney's works and Fantasia.

But I so do not think of things like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Gone with the Wind, Alien, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, King Kong, or any other kind of non-Disney Hollywood classic when I see it.

As I have stated several times before, The Sorcerer's Hat puts a ridiculous amount of emphasis on Disney, which throws the entire park off balance. I should have rephrased/emphasized this before, but BOTH Chinese Theater and the Earful Tower were the icons simultaneously. The Earful Tower was just the one they used for marketing (Although the Chinese Theater was used in some advertising). The Chinese Theater and the Great Movie Ride symbolized the magic and imagination of EVERYTHING Hollywood. The Earful Tower symbolized the magic behind the works of Disney and the rest of Hollywood.

The park is a tribute to BOTH Disney and Hollywood, and the things that made them great. Here is the dedication to the park:

The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.

-Michael Eisner, May 1, 1989

The park was NEVER intended to emphasis Disney as they do now. The Sorcerer's Hat does just that.

And saying the park isn't about production is way off base. (Unless again, I'm reading you wrong) I actually regret not bringing this up earlier, but one of the things MGM/DHS was built upon was that it was a tribute to the golden Hollywood, yet at the same time, a "dream factory" where the public could not only learn the magic behind Hollywood movies, but learn the secrets behind Disney's creative process up and close. At the end of the day, the guests would find themselves in better appreciation and understanding of movies that made the entertainment industry as great as it is. The removal of the actual production has proved to be disastrous towards the park's overall theme.

As I stated earlier, the park is in theme schizophrenia. The Great Movie Ride still well symbolizes the old theme and intent of the park. TOT symbolizes Hollywood's golden age very well without putting an emphasis on Disney, as do Muppets, and other select areas of the park. The rest of the park has dwindled into a mish-mosh dumping ground for things. Has it changed? Sure. Doesn't mean it changed for the better. The Sorcerer's Hat contributes to this problem.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the park is supposed to embody now?

The park embodies what it was re-branded as in January 2008. Meg Crofton said, "the new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer—in music, television, movies and theater." The park really has grown. It's not the park it used to be when Eisner built it. I'm not arguing that this new park is better. Because I don't think it is. I agree, DMS>DHS. But this is not DMS. It never will be again. When the name changed, the park officially did too. Sure, the new embodiment of the new park is vauge. But it fits for what it offers.

The park embodies what it was re-branded as in January 2008. Meg Crofton said, "the new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer—in music, television, movies and theater." The park really has grown. It's not the park it used to be when Eisner built it. I'm not arguing that this new park is better. Because I don't think it is. I agree, DMS>DHS. But this is not DMS. It never will be again. When the name changed, the park officially did too. Sure, the new embodiment of the new park is vauge. But it fits for what it offers.

Fair enough then. I too agree that MGM was a much better direction to take.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. First off, MGM became DHS only 3 years ago, the hat has been there since 2000. Secondly, sure it has ties to one of Disney's most popular movies, and a breakthrough film, but the Hat's sole purpose in the park was just to give it an icon. When Imagineers want it gone, and hate it, you know it's an issue.

As far as DHS being a hub and spoke park, it's really isn't, and I don't see how anyone could see that.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. First off, MGM became DHS only 3 years ago, the hat has been there since 2000. Secondly, sure it has ties to one of Disney's most popular movies, and a breakthrough film, but the Hat's sole purpose in the park was just to give it an icon. When Imagineers want it gone, and hate it, you know it's an issue.

As far as DHS being a hub and spoke park, it's really isn't, and I don't see how anyone could see that.
:iagree:

I think of the name change as sort of the last step in a gradual transformation. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather be without the hat, I just understand it's purpose. And yeah I guess I was pushing it with it being a hub and spoke park. But it does have a mainstreet with it's icon at the end.

I definitely still think that there are creative flaws with the placement of the Sorcerer's Hat. If Disney wants to give up with the Golden Hollywood theme and give DHS a new identity and theme, then so be it. (even if I'm not comfortable with the idea). I still think the hat should be removed, and a new sort of icon should be created for the park (that isn't located right in the center of the park), as neither Chinese Theater or the Earful Tower can symbolize the park's new theme good enough.

I think of the name change as sort of the last step in a gradual transformation. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather be without the hat, I just understand it's purpose. And yeah I guess I was pushing it with it being a hub and spoke park. But it does have a mainstreet with it's icon at the end.

It's purpose was to commemorate Walt's 100th birthday. They just decided to leave it up after that celebration passed. Also, if you're going to celebrate Fantasia, at least make sure the colors are right. They changed it last year from the gold shapes, to silver, which is not faithful at all.

It's purpose was to commemorate Walt's 100th birthday. They just decided to leave it up after that celebration passed. Also, if you're going to celebrate Fantasia, at least make sure the colors are right. They changed it last year from the gold shapes, to silver, which is not faithful at all.

I know. I just meant I could see why it was left up. And that's a valid point. The change baffles me.

I know. I just meant I could see why it was left up. And that's a valid point. The change baffles me.

Here's my beef with that hat.

Cinderella Castle - Main Focal Point, Top notch restaurant, gateway to Fantasyland.
Spaceship Earth - Top notch attraction
Tree of Life - Top notch 3D attraction, beatifully decorated/themed, home to many animals.
Hat - Pin Station

Here's my beef with that hat.

Cinderella Castle - Main Focal Point, Top notch restaurant, gateway to Fantasyland.
Spaceship Earth - Top notch attraction
Tree of Life - Top notch 3D attraction, beatifully decorated/themed, home to many animals.
Hat - Pin Station

That's probably because it wasn't initially meant to be permanent. But then again, they could have put it on the theater :lol:

My friend who works at Disney made it a point to bring it up to me that she and many other cast members hate the hat because it blocks the theatre. It is a popular conversation topic when visiting DHS apparently. I find it interesting that my friend who is the biggest Disney fan I know hates the hat.

Wasn't the original plan for the hat to be ferris wheels? Mickey ears would be coming out the side and house the ferris wheels. At least that is what the Field Guide says.

I think the hat needs to come down. NOW. Putting it outside the entrance gates would be fine my me, if there is room.