The Jingle Cruise | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Jingle Cruise

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I meant the jingle cruise lol. Btw I'll be going to the Christmas party this year so I'll stop by and ride this disaster lol. I'll leave my review when I'm off it but I really hope it'll be better than last years...for my sanitys sake
There's really nothing wrong with it. It's almost the same exact ride with a few christmas themed jokes thrown in. Holiday overlays to WDW attractions are rare and this is not bad at all. No reason to put it down. I'd love to see more holiday overlays, but the reality is, unless it's a quick add like it is for Jungle Cruise, it won't happen in Orlando. And it has nothing to do with the crowds/once in a lifetime visitors, that's just an excuse. I mean, Haunted Mansion is going down for a refurb in mid-December through January this year.

They're just too cheap to actually go ahead with anything like a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay to HM.

There's really nothing wrong with it. It's almost the same exact ride with a few christmas themed jokes thrown in. Holiday overlays to WDW attractions are rare and this is not bad at all. No reason to put it down. I'd love to see more holiday overlays, but the reality is, unless it's a quick add like it is for Jungle Cruise, it won't happen in Orlando. And it has nothing to do with the crowds/once in a lifetime visitors, that's just an excuse. I mean, Haunted Mansion is going down for a refurb in mid-December through January this year.

They're just too cheap to actually go ahead with anything like a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay to HM.

It's really not an excuse though. A refurb like HM is happening ONCE for the first time in a while due to maintenance. At Disneyland it goes down TWICE for refurb, and during more popular times. Also, there's just a huge difference in the markets for Disneyland and Disney World. Disneyland draws from such a heavy local population that holiday overlays are what keep things fresh for the annual passholders with deep pockets. At WDW, the market is largely people who don't come that often and would not only not care about holiday overlays, but may even be irked by them (imagine if the world famous Haunted Mansion was replaced with a completely different experience on your annual visit). Holiday overlays just cater to a different crowd than the one that Disney World hosts.

And for what its worth, I kinda like Jingle Cruise lol :shrug:

It's really not an excuse though. A refurb like HM is happening ONCE for the first time in a while due to maintenance. At Disneyland it goes down TWICE for refurb, and during more popular times. Also, there's just a huge difference in the markets for Disneyland and Disney World. Disneyland draws from such a heavy local population that holiday overlays are what keep things fresh for the annual passholders with deep pockets. At WDW, the market is largely people who don't come that often and would not only not care about holiday overlays, but may even be irked by them (imagine if the world famous Haunted Mansion was replaced with a completely different experience on your annual visit). Holiday overlays just cater to a different crowd than the one that Disney World hosts.

And for what its worth, I kinda like Jingle Cruise lol :shrug:
WDW has popular attractions off-line all the time. It only takes a few weeks to install and a few weeks to uninstall. They could afford having HM out of service for a month out of every year.

The main thing is you need to start to do it and let the public know. Once it's something that happens every year, people come to expect it and actually look forward to it. If someone want to see HM that badly, they will plan their trip around it. And if someone doesn't look at a refurb calender before booking a trip and complains that their favorite attractions are down, I have no sympathy.

If someone want to see HM that badly, they will plan their trip around it. And if someone doesn't look at a refurb calender before booking a trip and complains that their favorite attractions are down, I have no sympathy.

I have some sympathy because two years ago my wife and I got screwed over by DL when they announced two months before our already booked honeymoon that Indiana Jones would be down for three months for refurbishment.

If they made the refurbs a a yearly occurence, I mostly agree. The problem is making it clear to guests that first year so that they can plan accordingly. Let's face it, the average guest does not look at refurb calendars they just go and expect things to be open.

The "once in a lifetimers" excuse is just that. TDO is simply too cheap. They use the same excuse to defer maintenance.

It doesn't really cost that much to apply a holiday overlay if you're doing it every single year, though. I wouldn't say it's being "cheap" if there's no need for it. Deferring maintenance, yeah, that's being cheap. But not applying holiday overlays because only a select few (the comparably small percentage of locals WDW attracts) would appreciate it as much as in Disneyland is just budgeting appropriately. Why take the time to do something that's unnecessary?

EDIT: Not to mention, the Disneyland holiday overlays (HMH and Ghost Galaxy) aren't there because they're just some super cool thing to do. Their purpose is to bring out more guests during the typically slow Halloween period. At the end of the day it's still a business move. WDW doesn't have a slow period, err go, no need for holiday overlays…just another business move.

Last edited:
It doesn't really cost that much to apply a holiday overlay if you're doing it every single year, though. I wouldn't say it's being "cheap" if there's no need for it. Deferring maintenance, yeah, that's being cheap. But not applying holiday overlays because only a select few (the comparably small percentage of locals WDW attracts) would appreciate it as much as in Disneyland is just budgeting appropriately. Why take the time to do something that's unnecessary?

EDIT: Not to mention, the Disneyland holiday overlays (HMH and Ghost Galaxy) aren't there because they're just some super cool thing to do. Their purpose is to bring out more guests during the typically slow Halloween period. At the end of the day it's still a business move. WDW doesn't have a slow period, err go, no need for holiday overlays…just another business move.
See, you're justifying lowered standards with this post. WDW used to always do things they didn't have to for their guests. Now it's the bare minimum to maximize profits.

Haunted Mansion Holiday would be an attendance driver to the MK. That is something Disney doesn't need. If the HM were in any other WDW park, we would have gotten it by now.

Have to agree with Disneyhead Here .MK will reach Capacity for most of the two weeks of Christmas
Why put something in that will make more people want to go in MK.When a some will get turned away anyway.
More if they put in a Haunted Mansion Christmas theme.Most Locals/Regular Guests Do not want to go during this time anyway (too crowded)

Have to agree with Disneyhead Here .MK will reach Capacity for most of the two weeks of Christmas
Why put something in that will make more people want to go in MK.When a some will get turned away anyway.
More if they put in a Haunted Mansion Christmas theme.Most Locals/Regular Guests Do not want to go during this time anyway (too crowded)

That's basically my point though.....

- - - Updated - - -

See, you're justifying lowered standards with this post. WDW used to always do things they didn't have to for their guests. Now it's the bare minimum to maximize profits.

Disney is a business. Everything they do or have ever done was meant to maximize profits. That's capitalism. Maybe before it seemed that their little additions were bones thrown to their fans but they were most certainly always done with money as the motive. At this point the place is so big that these things would just be pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

Disney is a business. Everything they do or have ever done was meant to maximize profits. That's capitalism. Maybe before it seemed that their little additions were bones thrown to their fans but they were most certainly always done with money as the motive. At this point the place is so big that these things would just be pointless.

That's where you are 100% wrong. Walt actually cared about the product. TDO isn't even sure what it's "product" is.

- - - Updated - - -

The "little things" are what has always made WDW special. Sometimes it's worth losing a bit to make the guest experience better. That's how you get people to come back.

That's where you are 100% wrong. Walt actually cared about the product. TDO isn't even sure what it's "product" is.

True...the Walt era is way before my time though :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

The "little things" are what has always made WDW special. Sometimes it's worth losing a bit to make the guest experience better. That's how you get people to come back.

...which brings me to my point again--people come back anyway. The financial benefit of these so-called little things was long-term and subtle but it was still there. It's paid off for them now and the Disney brand will be powerful enough to draw people in holiday overlay or not (at WDW anyway). Do I agree with it? Of course not, nobody likes "less". But I understand the logic behind it and accept that even back in the "good ole days" of WDW, everything was done with finances in mind.

When Disney built WDW it was the largest, most expensive construction project in the Universe. It was ambitious and impressive. And that was from a MUCH smaller company.

Today's Disney balks at buying carnival rides. The Disney I grew up with is dead.

I remember when Disney tried to make the highest quality product on the planet. Now they aren't even trying to build the highest quality product in town.

Yes, I find that sad.
There's way too many politics involved now that never was a factor in those early days since they weren't a publicly traded company. Sure, the goal was to make money, but it was also to provide the best possible guest experience.

Now they fight over whether or not they should add some carnival rides to struggling parks as you alluded to.