The Mandalorian & Grogu (Film) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Mandalorian & Grogu (Film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Film will do fine, they don't care about box office (looks back at the past few years) clearly they want more merch to be sold

I'm sure both Characters will get new costumes or weapons to be sold to kids and adults......and some big bad villain they can market

Also maybe Smugglers Run can be rethemed to something people care about.....like have Mando finally show up during the mission

Film will do fine, they don't care about box office (looks back at the past few years) clearly they want more merch to be sold

I'm sure both Characters will get new costumes or weapons to be sold to kids and adults......and some big bad villain they can market

Also maybe Smugglers Run can be rethemed to something people care about.....like have Mando finally show up during the mission
1.) They do care about box office when they are putting an expensive film in theaters. Star Wars has been on streaming to take a theatrical break after TRoS.

2.) You are way overestimating how many people care about The Mandalorian. Sure it pulls in good TV ratings, but TV ratings very rarely translates to box office success (and the amount of people who watched S3 was down from S2 considerably).

3.) I hate to tell you but you are way overselling how much merch is being sold, even if Grogu is certainly a merch draw. Obviously they sell a good amount, but it’s the only way they are making money on these characters.

For better or worse, the sequels grossed almost $4.5B + Another $1B+ from Rogue One. That’s all BEFORE merch which I hate to tell you they are still cashing in on.

You can have whatever opinion you want about the sequels, but you’re making up your own facts if you honestly think Mando & Grogu have made Disney more money than the sequels.

Reactions: Jake S
1.) They do care about box office when they are putting an expensive film in theaters. Star Wars has been on streaming to take a theatrical break after TRoS.

2.) You are way overestimating how many people care about The Mandalorian. Sure it pulls in good TV ratings, but TV ratings very rarely translates to box office success (and the amount of people who watched S3 was down from S2 considerably).

3.) I hate to tell you but you are way overselling how much merch is being sold, even if Grogu is certainly a merch draw. Obviously they sell a good amount, but it’s the only way they are making money on these characters.

I love how he talks about the sequel trilogy’s box office and is like “I don’t care about facts, Mando is their highest grossing thing”

For better or worse, the sequels grossed almost $4.5B + Another $1B+ from Rogue One. That’s all BEFORE merch which I hate to tell you they are still cashing in on.

You can have whatever opinion you want about the sequels, but you’re making up your own facts if you honestly think Mando & Grogu have made Disney more money than the sequels.
I go to the parks and see as much sequel stuff as Mando Stuff

I see Mando stuff on people cars......I bet most people can't say the last time they saw Kylo/Rey on merch outside the park

I'm just saying, I see in the real world and stuff like at Grandma's house Mando merch when she doesn't care about the show....Rey is liked by some younger people sure but the films will tell who is more liked

The reason people saw the sequels were the Episode titles, without them the films have to stand on their own. No joke if I could go back in time, would not see the sequels in theaters....just no need to but I saw Rogue One in Imax again when it came out.

I'll be interested to see how things go but until the Rey film is out, I think the sequels are flash int he pan luck because of the timing now with 2-3 SW project a year And We can come back to my post and see if I'm right or not but while there are some fans that like Rey....she has nooooooo where the Fandom of Mando and Grogu and think the film's numbers will reflect that unless the Mando films sucks so bad

I go to the parks and see as much sequel stuff as Mando Stuff

I see Mando stuff on people cars......I bet most people can't say the last time they saw Kylo/Rey on merch outside the park

I'm just saying, I see in the real world and stuff like at Grandma's house Mando merch when she doesn't care about the show....Rey is liked by some younger people sure but the films will tell who is more liked

The reason people saw the sequels were the Episode titles, without them the films have to stand on their own. No joke if I could go back in time, would not see the sequels in theaters....just no need to but I saw Rogue One in Imax again when it came out.

I'll be interested to see how things go but until the Rey film is out, I think the sequels are flash int he pan luck because of the timing now with 2-3 SW project a year And We can come back to my post and see if I'm right or not but while there are some fans that like Rey....she has nooooooo where the Fandom of Mando and Grogu and think the film's numbers will reflect that unless the Mando films sucks so bad
giphy-downsized.gif

Perhaps it's me--but I am actually kind of interested to see Jon Faverau finally direct a live action film again in a more traditional sense (*even if a lot of it will have CGI*).

Gonna guess Rey will still be the breakout film to signal the return of Star Wars, but that this is gonna fill in the latter half of 2026. Think they'll try their luck with two films a year.

I don't want this to turn into a sequel hate fest but people that get annyoed with my comments about the sequels do you have friends that are into SW? Family?

I'm honestly asking because besides ONE of my friends who likes the Last Jedi, I don't know anyone who cares about the sequels my cousins talk crap on it, my friends for sure don't care for them and wish they could be erased

Like the internet is not what everyone feels but....like the Sequels from anyone I've ever talked to are not that liked outside like young people who are like kids, I don't know anyone who is buying Kylo Ren or Rey Stuff or go back and rewatch those films. I'm not saying no one doesn't like them but....people here think Mando isn't as big as the sequels? Mando is all I heard about in my office after it started, people loved it and it was the talk of the town.

I would love more feedback because I only can talk to people I meet and have yet to meet anyone who loves the sequels out side my one friend

Reactions: belloq87
I don't want this to turn into a sequel hate fest but people that get annyoed with my comments about the sequels do you have friends that are into SW? Family?
yes, most of my family and friends quite liked the sequel trilogy. but that's kinda how it works — they're my family and friends, so it's not a big shock they have similar values and tastes to me. that makes it a flawed way to figure out how popular (insert thing is).

box office receipts aren't a perfect measure either, but The Last Jedi made $1.3 billion worldwide — just a couple million less than the Super Mario Bros. Movie. and despite my personal feelings on that movie (I don't like it!) I'm certainly not going to deny that it's been massively successful.

Perhaps it's me--but I am actually kind of interested to see Jon Faverau finally direct a live action film again in a more traditional sense (*even if a lot of it will have CGI*).

Gonna guess Rey will still be the breakout film to signal the return of Star Wars, but that this is gonna fill in the latter half of 2026. Think they'll try their luck with two films a year.
I feel like it needs to be clarified (at the very least bc it’s bugging me) that Jedi Council is said to be a film where Rey is in Obi-Wan to Anakin mentor role as a supporting character and the film is centered around a completely new lead character.

Well, I suppose they finally made a Star Wars movie that I will not see in theaters, breaking a... 2.5 decade streak.

Unfortunately, Disney responds to the market, and the market did not tell them, "We want more shows like Andor." It told them, "Please milk existing characters and story arcs to death."

My weariness with this situation is starting to become undeniable. I really, really like Filoni and most of his efforts (absurd fan service and plot armor for his beloved characters excepted), but I feel like he's just a pawn at this point because his efforts have become so vital to Disney's cash/hype flow. It seems like Star Wars is mirroring Feige's Marvel run and much earlier than I would have hoped. I really wanted that Rogue Squadron film...

Reactions: saint.piss
Well, I suppose they finally made a Star Wars movie that I will not see in theaters, breaking a... 2.5 decade streak.

Unfortunately, Disney responds to the market, and the market did not tell them, "We want more shows like Andor." It told them, "Please milk existing characters and story arcs to death."

My weariness with this situation is starting to become undeniable. I really, really like Filoni and most of his efforts (absurd fan service and plot armor for his beloved characters excepted), but I feel like he's just a pawn at this point because his efforts have become so vital to Disney's cash/hype flow. It seems like Star Wars is mirroring Feige's Marvel run and much earlier than I would have hoped. I really wanted that Rogue Squadron film...
I’m not much interested in this film either.

Yeah this doesn’t move the needle for me.

The original Star Wars was a throwback to old serials, right? I’d love for future Star Wars movies to be made in the same vein…like how cool with an old-school noir movie that follows a detective uncover a clone conspiracy be? Or a Western that takes place on the outskirts of Tattooine?

The actual Skywalker story has been done to death, and the universe itself just isn’t interesting enough to keep pulling stories from and telling them straight…

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Jake S
Strangely, this is the only of the announced movies that (sight-unseen) would get me into the theater.

Mangold's "Birth of the Jedi" project potentially could, but:

1. I'm skeptical it actually gets made.
2. I'd need to see how it looks.

The original Star Wars was a throwback to old serials, right? I’d love for future Star Wars movies to be made in the same vein…like how cool with an old-school noir movie that follows a detective uncover a clone conspiracy be? Or a Western that takes place on the outskirts of Tattooine?

Correct. Indiana Jones was as well, which is why they were structured in an episodic format rather than a stand alone film with potential sequels.

I agree with you. There doesn’t seem to be much creativity in the franchise right now. They have so many avenues to explore in a galaxy far, far away yet they keep taking the safe route.

They could make a prison break type movie with Rebels escaping some Empire base. Detective style films, or space westerns like you said. So many options.

Strangely, this is the only of the announced movies that (sight-unseen) would get me into the theater.

Mangold's "Birth of the Jedi" project potentially could, but:

1. I'm skeptical it actually gets made.
2. I'd need to see how it looks.
I’m slightly opposite as you. Mangold’s currently has me in the theater if tickets went on sale today, sight-unseen.

With this movie, it needs to win me over not only with a good trailer but I’d also wait to see what critics say. Sight-unseen im relatively uninterested with little idea of where a story could go or even really caring where it goes. They need someone who actually knows how to write a good script writing this thing first and foremost.

Also I saw on Reddit that the Film will have no impact on season 4 both will be coming out

Correct. Indiana Jones was as well, which is why they were structured in an episodic format rather than a stand alone film with potential sequels.

I agree with you. There doesn’t seem to be much creativity in the franchise right now. They have so many avenues to explore in a galaxy far, far away yet they keep taking the safe route.

They could make a prison break type movie with Rebels escaping some Empire base. Detective style films, or space westerns like you said. So many options.
Would be a good strategy for Disney too…reel in young talent who get to make their otherwise un-marketable projects with a little Star Wars flair, then lock them in for future projects (like Nolan and WB for example).

Would be a good strategy for Disney too…reel in young talent who get to make their otherwise un-marketable projects with a little Star Wars flair, then lock them in for future projects (like Nolan and WB for example).
Gen Z has also shown an unwillingness to just accept any piece of recycled garbage put in front of them. People want to see things that they’ve never seen before which is something I think we all want to a point.

Disney is going to have to get more creative and think outside the box if they don’t want to own a bunch of dead IPs. Not even that far outside the box. Just more projects that are taking a new direction or surprise people when they release like Andor. Or more broadly, cultural moments like Avatar, Avengers (2012), Deadpool, The Boys, Barbie, Top Gun: Maverick, or in animation, nothing has changed the modern space more than the release of Into The Spiderverse.

Gen Z has also shown an unwillingness to just accept any piece of recycled garbage put in front of them
(*cough*)FNAF MOVIE(*cough*)

I think Gen Z's still pretty amenable to accepting garbage just as long as it's not boomer/elder millennial garbage. And I say this as a card-carrying member myself!

Reactions: grlhowl
I think Gen Z's still pretty amenable to accepting garbage just as long as it's not boomer/elder millennial garbage. And I say this as a card-carrying member myself!
I think that's his point. There seems to be an appetite for Something New even if that Something New is based on an aging video game (FNAF, Super Mario). That doesn't mean The Old Stuff can't still hit (I have no way to explain Top Gun) but there seems to be fatigue setting in.

I think that's his point. There seems to be an appetite for Something New even if that Something New is based on an aging video game (FNAF, Super Mario). That doesn't mean The Old Stuff can't still hit (I have no way to explain Top Gun) but there seems to be fatigue setting in.
Top Gun: Maverick was I think Gen X and Boomer driven and then younger generations either got dragged to go or saw it had a ton of buzz and they checked it out. Remember, it came out on Memorial Day, which is also close to Fathers day and this was the perfect fathers day movie.

While I was always on record of expecting it to do well, I think Avatar: TWOW hit big again because there was such a large gap in between films that an entire generation missed it the first time, so they retold the story, only better! :lmao: I'd be a bit more worried for Avatar 3 if I was Disney, especially in this very fickle theatrical marketplace.