The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah. The Gringotts free fall, even Transformers, feels forced. Not so on Spider-Man or Kong.

Then again we are the only place with both Spidey and TF to even have this comparison possible.

There are also "fall from great heights" moments in Minion Mayhem and The Simpsons (and, apparently, Fallon).

Ladies and gentlemen, uh, we’ve just lost the picture, but what we’ve seen speaks for itself. The Corvair spacecraft SCREENZ has apparently been taken over — ‘conquered’ if you will — by a master race of giant space ants Screenz

It’s difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive Earth men or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them. The ants SCREENZ will soon be here.

And I for one welcome our new insect SCREENZ overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar power caves.

Reactions: TheGentTrent
Wow. Great and interesting information. And you simplified the explanation enough that even us non tech types can understand. Thanks. :thumbsup:....So, is the curved screen the reason you feel deeper into the action & scenes on Transformers then you do on most of Spider Man?
Yup. Deeply curved screens provide more impact. We saw "How The West Was Won" in Cinerama a few years back and even the non-movement screems seemed more rea;.

Yup. Deeply curved screens provide more impact. We saw "How The West Was Won" in Cinerama a few years back and even the non-movement screems seemed more rea;.
I've been around long enough that I saw How the West Was Won in Cinerama during it's original run.:) :lol: The huge movie houses when I was a kid were a joy to watch a big budget movie on. Westerns were always good as well as movies like Ben Hur, Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, and so on. You really felt like you were in the movies. :)

I've been around long enough that I saw How the West Was Won in Cinerama during it's original run.:) :lol: The huge movie houses when I was a kid were a joy to watch a big budget movie on. Westerns were always good as well as movies like Ben Hur, Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, and so on. You really felt like you were in the movies. :)
Yeah I grew up in the age of roadshow films (seeing "2001" in Cinerama at Loewes Capitol in NYC on an 80 ft tall screen.... unreal). Its interesting that 70mm is making a small comeback for special films (including the ninth 'Star Wars' film)

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Someone at TPI directly asked Surrell about the screenz today:

Nice find.:thumbsup::) The interviewer was TPI owner, Robert Niles. I'd recognize that high pitched voice anywhere.....Surrell kind of danced around the screens question. Basically said it was appropriate for what they wanted to do with the attraction. Interesting, that he reiterated what he said a few weeks ago in interviews,that a lot of future attractions will have virtual lines and areas with entertainment, like Fallon does, to get away from boring queue line experiences. This is a plus in my eyes since I love what Universal has been doing with their queues. They've become just about as good as the actual rides. Like I always say, it's the Totality of the Experience.

Reactions: Joel
Someone at TPI directly asked Surrell about the screenz today:

I appreciate that Niles even asked the question, but he cast it in quite a dismissive, condescending way. Which, based on his published opinions on the issue, doesn't surprise me.

Nice find.:thumbsup::) The interviewer was TPI owner, Robert Niles. I'd recognize that high pitched voice anywhere.....Surrell kind of danced around the screens question. Basically said it was appropriate for what they wanted to do with the attraction. Interesting, that he reiterated what he said a few weeks ago in interviews,that a lot of future attractions will have virtual lines and areas with entertainment, like Fallon does, to get away from boring queue line experiences. This is a plus in my eyes since I love what Universal has been doing with their queues. They've become just about as good as the actual rides. Like I always say, it's the Totality of the Experience.

I don't know, what he has to say about the virtual line kind of scares me, because it implies a time in the future where I'm going to have to schedule out my day at Universal just like I have to now at WDW. I don't want a day full of return times.

I don't know, what he has to say about the virtual line kind of scares me, because it implies a time in the future where I'm going to have to schedule out my day at Universal just like I have to now at WDW. I don't want a day full of return times.

I don't think that will be an issue in the future, to do Jimmy Fallon now, its 30 minutes experience. In the future, I'm sure they will make it longer and larger to hold even more capacity to spread out to 45-an hour long per attraction so they can build more attractions to boost attendance and ensure multi day experiences as well as keep guests happy. The parks are already open 13-14 hours a day, if future parks have 20+ attractions each taking 45-60 minutes to do based on all top IPs than you will see you won't have to schedule your day except to do your must dos.

Surrell was right though, to travel through New York with Jimmy Fallon made way more sense to be a screen based attraction over a practical.

I appreciate that Niles even asked the question, but he cast it in quite a dismissive, condescending way. Which, based on his published opinions on the issue, doesn't surprise me.

My take was that future attractions similar to Fallon, that lend themselves to this format, will have the virtual queue. I don't think they'll do it for the vast majority of the present attractions, since they don't really fit in with the queue entertainment concept. Now, the fourth park may end up with a lot of virtual queue attractions. But I wouldn't expect it for certain categories of rides that lend themselves more to the four minute ride, no entertainment in the queue, concept. But, like you, we're all just guessing at this point...And probably Universal too, for the most part, on how far they'll carry it out. A lot will probably be riding on if it's seamless or not for Fallon. And, the other point, is they may well do a combination of Virtual line reservation, Stand By, and Express, like they've been doing for Fallon....It certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: belloq87
Surrell was right though, to travel through New York with Jimmy Fallon made way more sense to be a screen based attraction over a practical.

Except Universal is the company that has built massive, impressive, practical New York streets sets in the past. Twice, in fact. Kongfrontation and MIB. Plus Spidey, in a slightly less grand way.

Yes, space was incredibly limited on Fallon's plot, but if we pretend that there was a giant plot to work with, I could easily envision a racing-type attraction through street sets in a huge show building. I mean, that's still what I wish we were getting with Fast and Furious.

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
Except Universal is the company that has built massive, impressive, practical New York streets sets in the past. Twice, in fact. Kongfrontation and MIB. Plus Spidey, in a slightly less grand way.

Yes, space was incredibly limited on Fallon's plot, but if we pretend that there was a giant plot to work with, I could easily envision a racing-type attraction through street sets in a huge show building. I mean, that's still what I wish we were getting with Fast and Furious.
I can see that with the new park where space shouldn't be at a premium.

Reactions: belloq87
Jason Surrell is the guy who created Move it, Shake it, co-wrote the American Idol Experience, and worst of all created Stitch's Supersonic Celebration. He went to bat for all of those things in press interviews. This guy is a human puppet.

Back on topic though, I wonder what this means for Super Nintendo World's queues. I can see a scenario where you could knock out two birds with one stone and meet Mario & friends (interchangeable characters) in the Mario Kart line, meet Donkey Kong in line for the DK Mine Coaster and if we get Yoshi, meet Yoshi in line.

But I can also see Nintendo saying no to virtual queues.

I always find it fascinating how egregious someone's track record can be at the higher levels but the lower level folks are crucified for forgetting to turn off the lights when they leave the office.

Jason Surrell is the guy who created Move it, Shake it, co-wrote the American Idol Experience, and worst of all created Stitch's Supersonic Celebration. He went to bat for all of those things in press interviews. This guy is a human puppet.

Back on topic though, I wonder what this means for Super Nintendo World's queues. I can see a scenario where you could knock out two birds with one stone and meet Mario & friends (interchangeable characters) in the Mario Kart line, meet Donkey Kong in line for the DK Mine Coaster and if we get Yoshi, meet Yoshi in line.

Jason Surrell has made a bunch of unimpressive concepts but he took JF and the looks of it, way less complaints for this once it soft opened compared to Kong. So he may be on to something.

As for Nintendo I see them saying yes to virtual queue because it brings more immersion to the concept of Mario being an open world rather than this rigid format. A big thing Nintendo kept hinting on is being interactive and having a large open flow controlled space would be great...(forseeing multiple holding rooms rather than one large that represent different mario levels).

As much as I love the idea of virtual queuing, I think Nintendo has the potential to have one of the greatest queues. I think though it determines how you view what a virtual queue is.

We're using virtual queue to mean these preshow thingies?

I've always sort of seen them like the "scatter service" in dining. Lots of Windows and options - only one way out.

What was the term Disney used when they made the Pooh and Mansion queue changes?