The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 206 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been assuming 5 or 6.

Honestly a 5/5 split is perfect to me. Like everyone here, I absolutely love the original houses and they typically fit out the top of my house rankings.

But, I love IP houses as well, and IP is one of the things that separates HHN from regional haunts (and obviously budget.)

All that’s on my mind is wanting to see the event happen at this point, I wouldn't mind the lineup for this year, should be interesting. There was so much so much anticipation and a lot hopes up for this year but with every year you must have low expectations sometimes and understand which direction the event is going to go, so with most of the stuff that was suggested not happening, I'm very interested in what they will actually bring to the event. It definitely sounds like it's not going to be the anniversary year everyone was expecting it to be.

Last edited:
All that’s on my mind is wanting to see the event happen at this point, I wouldn't mind the lineup for this year, should be interesting. There was so much so much anticipation and a lot hopes up for this year but with every year you must have low expectations sometimes and understand which direction the event is going to go, so with most of the stuff that was suggested not happening, I'm very interested in what they will actually bring to the event. It definitely sounds like it's not going to be the anniversary year everyone was expecting it to be.
I'm with you - I just want it to happen at this point

Reactions: Pedro Navarro
IPs or originals? Y’all are just toying with us now.

@Pedro Navarro : That doesn’t necessarily HAVE to be a bad thing. I’m all for new ideas, after all.

I didn't say that, I love new ideas as much as I want to see some of the old houses, I'm just saying go in with low expectations and not go full blown expecting something that might possibly not happen this year. Just be on the look out on having HHN happening not being cancelled which hopefully it doesn't look like that and just seems like they will be holding out till maybe June to put out stuff, I mean that seems well enough good time to wait for stuff to come out. They have done it in the past, they'd anywhere till June or August to announce and reveal stuff in time for the event.

Last edited:
I didn't say that, I love new ideas as much as I want to see some of the old houses, I'm just saying go in with low expectations and not go full blown expecting something that might possibly not happen this year. Just be on the look out on having HHN happening not being cancelled which hopefully it doesn't look like that and just seems like they will be holding out till maybe June to put out stuff, I mean that seems well enough good time to wait for stuff to come out. They have done it in the past, they'd anywhere till June or August to announce and reveal stuff in time for the event.

By “not being a bad thing” I was talking about not being a traditional anniversary year.

By “not being a bad thing” I was talking about not being a traditional anniversary year.

Yeah but with the talks of Jack and Terra Queen and the whole ordeal, of course people wanted a traditional anniversary year, I like I said before, this year had a lot of writing on it, there was many ways they could go about it and I think that got some peoples' expectations a little too high, I'd admit mine was a bit in the beginning but sorta went down but it seems it might just be like a continuation of 25 if they are still sticking with Jack and still having Terra Queen have her own house.

@Pedro Navarro you really think they’ll wait till June to announce stuff?

They've done it back in the past, back then they use to wait till August to fully reveal stuff, trust me, it's not something I'm saying out of random, it's something they used to do back then, plus it's closer to the event, I could be wrong they could have something up their sleeve and do it early like they've done it but with the stuff going on, I'd wait till June or August to put stuff out and get people hyped for the event later especially if it's close to the event.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
The only reason they would do that now though is because of the coronavirus

Of course, I'm not saying they will continuously use it for later years but right now it's a better time to start putting stuff out in June or August because they'll be a bit closer to the event and put as much information they want out and hype people up, right now they are in the dark about anything because of this situation which is understandable, so give it time, by June or August, things could pick back up again.

The only reason they would do that now though is because of the coronavirus

I think this might be the case. They don't want things to be completely spoiled if they have to move things to next year, that way they can reuse props, houses, etc.

I personally wouldn't expect any major announcements any time soon. Maybe one, for the diehards, to give them some "hope" for the event. Some needed encouragement that some sort of normalcy with the event is afoot.

However, the key to announcing stuff is based on how it will drive revenue. Movies like James Bond are being pulled, costing $50m in losses just by the marketing spent, because they know the movie will not deliver on revenue projections now with the virus.

Why would universal make announcements now? The borders are closed and international travel is banned, would people in the UK jump at the announcement and start booking vacation packages? My sister works for the local government and she's been told in order to travel across state lines, she needs pre-approval...otherwise it's a grounds for immediate dismissal. Think she's booking any vacations right now? Our local schools are saying 20 weeks before they're back in session....that's getting dangerously close to HHN time.

Not trying to be Mr Doom and Gloom, just being practical. Things months and months in advance are being cancelled...there has to be a point where it makes more sense, finanically, for universal to cancel the event than to put anything else into it. Maybe they're being smart and building in the tents and other structures that aren't used during the year so they can be mothballed for a year or until a later date like HHN in the spring. But there are beancounters and prognosticators and lawyers and everybody else pouring over everything. At some point, the finanical rewards don't warrant the risks.

Not to mention the fact that this won't be completely cured any time soon and the usual US flu season in the fall/winter will surely bring it back to an extent.

On the other side, if people are telling them that this should blow over by then and they need something to jumpstart the tourist flow again and something that is special and will get people to spend their hard earned dollars on again, going all out could be a very smart investment.

Just throwing out the business ramifications as there's a lot of "everything will be fine in x months" posts that ignore the business aspect assuming that POOF, the virus is gone and everybody goes about their business as usual lives. This is going to take at least a year to get back to any sense of normalcy. Hell, there are analysts saying that with the market tanking, Disney is now only worth about $165b. Apple has $100b+ in cash reserves and a market cap over $1t. These analysts are saying Apple could initiate a hostile takeover of Disney. When you put those kinds of financial implications into perspective, trivial things like HHN and announcements aren't even an drop in the ocean.

I personally wouldn't expect any major announcements any time soon. Maybe one, for the diehards, to give them some "hope" for the event. Some needed encouragement that some sort of normalcy with the event is afoot.

However, the key to announcing stuff is based on how it will drive revenue. Movies like James Bond are being pulled, costing $50m in losses just by the marketing spent, because they know the movie will not deliver on revenue projections now with the virus.

Why would universal make announcements now? The borders are closed and international travel is banned, would people in the UK jump at the announcement and start booking vacation packages? My sister works for the local government and she's been told in order to travel across state lines, she needs pre-approval...otherwise it's a grounds for immediate dismissal. Think she's booking any vacations right now? Our local schools are saying 20 weeks before they're back in session....that's getting dangerously close to HHN time.

Not trying to be Mr Doom and Gloom, just being practical. Things months and months in advance are being cancelled...there has to be a point where it makes more sense, finanically, for universal to cancel the event than to put anything else into it. Maybe they're being smart and building in the tents and other structures that aren't used during the year so they can be mothballed for a year or until a later date like HHN in the spring. But there are beancounters and prognosticators and lawyers and everybody else pouring over everything. At some point, the finanical rewards don't warrant the risks.

Not to mention the fact that this won't be completely cured any time soon and the usual US flu season in the fall/winter will surely bring it back to an extent.

On the other side, if people are telling them that this should blow over by then and they need something to jumpstart the tourist flow again and something that is special and will get people to spend their hard earned dollars on again, going all out could be a very smart investment.

Just throwing out the business ramifications as there's a lot of "everything will be fine in x months" posts that ignore the business aspect assuming that POOF, the virus is gone and everybody goes about their business as usual lives. This is going to take at least a year to get back to any sense of normalcy. Hell, there are analysts saying that with the market tanking, Disney is now only worth about $165b. Apple has $100b+ in cash reserves and a market cap over $1t. These analysts are saying Apple could initiate a hostile takeover of Disney. When you put those kinds of financial implications into perspective, trivial things like HHN and announcements aren't even an drop in the ocean.
This is something that's been on my mind as well. There are many factors that could affect HHN in the fall besides just the virus. The biggest ones are obviously the economic situation and the demand for the event. If Universal doesn't reopen until June or even later, then it might not seem prudent to start HHN in early September, especially if attendance is trickling in. So the way I see it, the best possible scenario is the virus blowing over by May or June, Universal reopening and attendance and hype leading to HHN increases over the summer. Worst scenario, the event is cancelled and pushed back a year. Yes, this would be absolutely crushing and heart breaking for many fans, including myself, but it would give Universal an extra year to ramp up and then go all out in 2021. In some ways I would rather have this happen than a reduced/subdued/weaker 30th event this year. But at this point there's nothing we can do but wait and see, the next 1-2 months will determine a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.