The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 401 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The agreements probably expire at some predetermined point and could very well be a use it or lose it situation with the fees paid already.

Plus, Uni is trying it's best to make this year seem as normal as possibly can be. If they shifted to 100% originals (which they'd have to design in a short timeframe vs what they've been working on for months already), it may signal to consumer this is a different and potentially lesser year in the exact time they need people coming.

Eilish is owned by Universal Music. They can do her house at any point in the future.

From a business perspective, they can’t throw a Hail Mary pass this year with any IP because capacity is limited. You might find a profitable balance, but you literally cannot pack the place this year. And Eilish is a pack the place property.

They’re going to have to drastically cut scare actors in houses, not only because of house design but because of break space. You’re backstage in close proximity with a couple dozen people. They’d have to reduce that by at least 1/3 to maintain 6 feet social distancing.

I can’t understand the logic of them wanting to blow all their material under these circumstance. You have Eilish, a huge draw, during a time with mandatory capacity limitations. Makes zero sense.
We have to remember, up until April, the common expectation was that “this will be over by June.” It wasn’t until May, when the parks still weren’t open and cases weren’t actually decreasing notably, that the reality of the long term aspects of this started reading sinking in. By that point, not only are all their houses designed, a number of them are already built to the point near complete. Beetlejuice and Hill House are basically done by May and TCM is midway through construction. Custom masks and costumes for Billie are nearing completion and components of the house built off-site (how a lot of the Shrek houses are constructed) are complete and getting prepared for installation. While, sure, they could convert Billie and Hill House to “originals,” they’d be originals like The Purge was a Scream/Purge crossover event.

Universal is stuck on this one. Might as well lean into it. If Billie and Hill House are well received, they can just bring them back next year.

We have to remember, up until April, the common expectation was that “this will be over by June.” It wasn’t until May, when the parks still weren’t open and cases weren’t actually decreasing notably, that the reality of the long term aspects of this started reading sinking in. By that point, not only are all their houses designed, a number of them are already built to the point near complete. Beetlejuice and Hill House are basically done by May and TCM is midway through construction. Custom masks and costumes for Billie are nearing completion and components of the house built off-site (how a lot of the Shrek houses are constructed) are complete and getting prepared for installation. While, sure, they could convert Billie and Hill House to “originals,” they’d be originals like The Purge was a Scream/Purge crossover event.

Universal is stuck on this one. Might as well lean into it. If Billie and Hill House are well received, they can just bring them back next year.

Wouldn’t they be smarter to save all that for next year? Store the masks and set pieces, cut the house to reduce operating costs, and have Eilish be the marquee house for 31? COVIDS over, lets pack the place with Eilish fans 2021.

Wouldn’t they be smarter to save all that for next year? Store the masks and set pieces, cut the house to reduce operating costs, and have Eilish be the marquee house for 31? COVIDS over, lets pack the place with Eilish fans 2021.

The problem is if they change things to prepare for a reduced event, and then it happens to get canned somehow anyways, then they have to rebuild and replace things next year. May as well just push on. Because if it gets pushed, presuming they can get the deal going still, it was already brought up they can mothball it.

I'm wondering if an express pass will be necessary this year.

You’ll have to have it in order to do all the houses in one night.

I’ve been thinking about the pulsing by party system and holding parties until the previous party has left the room. Considering how many die hards go solo or in small groups, there’s going to be flow issues and long virtual queues.

You’ll have to have it in order to do all the houses in one night.

I’ve been thinking about the pulsing by party system and holding parties until the previous party has left the room. Considering how many die hards go solo or in small groups, there’s going to be flow issues and long virtual queues.
They pulsed on a very low attendance night a few years back and it destroyed the experience for the one-nighters I was with because it took us all night to do seven houses instead of being able to rip them all out in what should have been 10-20 minute waits.

My thought on pulsing outside of a pandemic is that Universal does a really good job designing houses for the reality they have to deal with, which is the conga line. Pulsing a house designed to make the most of a conga line doesn't add as much as pulsing in a local haunt that is designed for it.

Obviously, pandemic makes pulsing a need.

They pulsed on a very low attendance night a few years back and it destroyed the experience for the one-nighters I was with because it took us all night to do seven houses instead of being able to rip them all out in what should have been 10-20 minute waits.

My thought on pulsing outside of a pandemic is that Universal does a really good job designing houses for the reality they have to deal with, which is the conga line. Pulsing a house designed to make the most of a conga line doesn't add as much as pulsing in a local haunt that is designed for it.

Obviously, pandemic makes pulsing a need.

Plus the scares are designed for the conga line. My best moments scareacting occurred at times when I was in a groove with the line. I hated waitIng around for guests as it was hard to see them coming, and my timing was off.

What does everyone think happens to stay and scream for 2020?
Stay-and-Scream helps eliminate the hordes at the front gates at 6PM, so I can't see them not utilizing it this year. I still don't know how they are going to manage entry into the park when the front gates are typically shoulder-to-shoulder. Which is why...

- I think we could see something this year where an HHN event tickets gets you in at 3PM before day guests are kicked out (similar to MNSSHP). Anything to help stagger the entry into the park for HHN.
- If not the above, making this early entry exclusive to hotel guests holding an HHN ticket... in addition to the special "On-Site Hotel Guest Entrance" as usual.

And if the VQ/app rumors are true, let's just go ahead and make IoA available during HHN to help disperse the crowds while waiting. :grin: :ay:

Plus the scares are designed for the conga line. My best moments scareacting occurred at times when I was in a groove with the line. I hated waitIng around for guests as it was hard to see them coming, and my timing was off.
I actually enjoyed when the house was empty. Nobody is peeking your curtain open, trying to reach in and get you and you're not worried that someone saw your scare already. On top of the that, the scares were more satisfying and I could give them a better scare because I had time to recover.

Just my 2 cents.

As far as how this applies to the houses, I think even if there are fewer scares, it is going to actually make the experience scarier and possibly less enjoyable in some instances and more enjoyable for others. I hate when people push or back up suddenly or scream in my ear, so that won't be happening as much. On the other hand, I enjoy the times when the conga line backs up and I get to take in the atmosphere and details of the house.

Overall, however, I think it will be more enjoyable.

Maybe they try operating Orlando’s event like they do in Japan. Timed returns starting during the daytime park hours. However, that’ll require at least 4 sets of cast members for each house for a Day shift / Night shift. Lord knows UO‘s too cheap to purposefully schedule performers for overtime pay.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
They are still gonna make good money this year. I’m glad they aren’t cancelling. They will get my groups 2,000$ +. Maybe they can have a Halloween event in May and reuse everything for those who had to miss. I’d go! Again! Christmas in July, Halloween in May.

Reactions: TCox91 and Sledge
They are still gonna make good money this year. I’m glad they aren’t cancelling. They will get my groups 2,000$ +. Maybe they can have a Halloween event in May and reuse everything for those who had to miss. I’d go! Again! Christmas in July, Halloween in May.

Sure they’ll make money, but there’s a cap. HHN has grown exponentially for years. That growth suits packing people in for something like Eilish. They cannot benefit from that IP as much as they could during a normal year. That’s what I’m pointing out.

Also, how’s make up going to work this year for cast? You’re suppose to stay 6 feet from your co-workers, but have them up in your face while applying make up and prosthetics? Yikes.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
View attachment 12552
The teens/adults that do MNSSHP do it because they can wear full costumes, see once a year shows and parades, and do meet and greets with rare characters that only come out for that event.

The teens/adults that go to HHN want to get scared and laugh at their friends getting scared.

They’re, for the most part, two completely different demographics.
Well we will see this year, if some don't try something new because Disney isn't having an event.

I didn't go to an event until i was like 18, but maybe this turn of events will push people to want to do it.

Eilish is owned by Universal Music. They can do her house at any point in the future.

From a business perspective, they can’t throw a Hail Mary pass this year with any IP because capacity is limited. You might find a profitable balance, but you literally cannot pack the place this year. And Eilish is a pack the place property.
And they can use her again next year even if they use her this year. It’s not an either/or proposition.

The IPs are probably more vital this year, as they’re an active draw against circumstances that, otherwise, would push people away from the event. Billie, Hill House, and Beetlejuice all serve a range of cultural touchstones. In a year where the default position is, “It’s not safe to go,” using the IPs can shift audiences to, “Maybe it’s worth it.”

It’s also important to remember that capacity for the entire event is going to be drastically reduced. With VQ, there’s not going to be 33,000 to 40,000 guests waiting for their time. It’s going to be between 15,000 - 20,000. While they’ll normal try to push 3,000 people per hour through a house, this year, it’ll be around 1,500.

The event IS getting tailored to the new normal, and I think people are having a hard time envisioning that. I get it. If you’ve only ever attended HHN when they’ve averaged 32,000 guests a night, a 12,000 person night feels unfathomable. A night where you can casually get every house done in about 3 hours doesn’t seem possible. Trick is, that’s exactly what Universal is going to try to give you. Part of me is actually really jealous. If it weren’t for the whole deadly virus thing, this is exactly the type of HHN I’d be signing up for.

And they can use her again next year even if they use her this year. It’s not an either/or proposition.

The IPs are probably more vital this year, as they’re an active draw against circumstances that, otherwise, would push people away from the event. Billie, Hill House, and Beetlejuice all serve a range of cultural touchstones. In a year where the default position is, “It’s not safe to go,” using the IPs can shift audiences to, “Maybe it’s worth it.”

It’s also important to remember that capacity for the entire event is going to be drastically reduced. With VQ, there’s not going to be 33,000 to 40,000 guests waiting for their time. It’s going to be between 15,000 - 20,000. While they’ll normal try to push 3,000 people per hour through a house, this year, it’ll be around 1,500.

The event IS getting tailored to the new normal, and I think people are having a hard time envisioning that. I get it. If you’ve only ever attended HHN when they’ve averaged 32,000 guests a night, a 12,000 person night feels unfathomable. A night where you can casually get every house done in about 3 hours doesn’t seem possible. Trick is, that’s exactly what Universal is going to try to give you. Part of me is actually really jealous. If it weren’t for the whole deadly virus thing, this is exactly the type of HHN I’d be signing up for.
If capacity is gonna be 12K, they're definitely selling out the entire event. I've got no doubt about that. Especially if they're hitting close to 10K on a random June weekend (which I have to think are mostly just locals/in-state). I find it hard to believe that they won't try to push capacity as much as possible to try to get closer to 20K than to 10K though.

Status
Not open for further replies.