The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 189 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is my review from Orlando United:

So I went to USH this past Saturday and was able to see and do everything, including ride FJ twice. Thoughts? It is a smaller version of the Hogsmeade in Orlando, or at least it feels like it (not sure about specific square footage difference). I enjoyed walking around, but I can honestly not imagine how much of a nightmare it will be when it officially opens to the public.

Since many things are the same, I’ll highlight what’s different. For starters, they did not fix the locker issue at FJ. However, they do have a solution which may be problematic come the summer months. Basically, they have a wraparound outdoor queue prior to entering the castle gates. The plan is to hold people in this queue and slowly filter them into the lockers to avoid backup and line cutting. The issue is that this outdoor queue has next to no shade, and on a somewhat mild Saturday (78-80 degrees), it was a brutal 30 min outside. You also have to wait in this line even if you don't have a bag or want to do single riders. Once inside, it took another 90 minutes to reach the ride. It was not a consistently moving line and Gate A (Express pass in Hollywood) was being used even during softs. I think they were loading at 2/3 capacity.

The ride itself has a different feel than the Orlando iteration. The 3D has its ups and downs. It provides appreciated depth to the flying sequences (like the Quidditch match and cave collapse), but it makes CGI creatures, like the dragon, look cartoonish beyond belief (I mean really bad guys). The ride is also noticeably tamer than Orlando, probably to try and compensate for wearing the glasses. Despite that, while I didn’t have any issues wearing them (they are the Transformers glasses and are switching to larger “Quidditch” goggles soon), but my friend with a smaller head said they were falling off quite frequently on both rides. There were also many more Dementors, but on both ridethroughs, they were dormant. There was also new, clearer audio for dialogue. For example, the Quidditch match now has a scorekeeper shouting the score before and during the Dementors attack. It threw me a bit because I was so used to the original audio, but maybe its better for newbies....I don’t know...can’t comment.

I know I sound like I’m hating on it a lot, but I did really enjoy the ride, and it was much better on my second go around. Yes the show lighting is raised up and makes some aspects of the ride (like seeing other vehicles) a bit of a downer, but having this ride in Hollywood is a true gift and I’m excited for fellow west coasters able to ride it. I do think the 3D has more positives than negatives, making the ride feel a bit newer despite the inconveniences it causes for show lighting and head gear.

As for Hogsmeade, it was so nice to be able to move around without massive crowds. Hippogriff had an evac at the hill so I missed out on riding that. The greatest part of the whole day though, was the TMs. Man, let me tell you. This was greater than any hospitality I’ve seen at a park…EVER! I had at least 5 people ask me within the 4 hours I was there if I was enjoying my day and what I thought about the land, never breaking character. AMAZING for a soft opening. I also went to Hog’s Head and ordered a Deathly Hallows, to which the bartender said “we don’t have that here”. I stared at her and she said “You’re from Orlando aren’t you?” and I just nodded. She gave it to me! She asked how my experience here compared and I told her how much fun I was having.

All in all, it’s about what I expected, but I’m also lucky and spoiled having visited many times before in Orlando. One things for sure though, this is the first phase of a major overhaul for the park and they are making sure that customer service is of the utmost importance to generating excellent WoM and a magical experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ride itself has a different feel than the Orlando iteration. The 3D has its ups and downs. It provides appreciated depth to the flying sequences (like the Quidditch match and cave collapse), but it makes CGI creatures, like the dragon, look cartoonish beyond belief (I mean really bad guys). The ride is also noticeably tamer than Orlando, probably to try and compensate for wearing the glasses. Despite that, while I didn’t have any issues wearing them (they are the Transformers glasses and are switching to larger “Quidditch” goggles soon), but my friend with a smaller head said they were falling off quite frequently on both rides. There were also many more Dementors, but on both ridethroughs, they were dormant. There was also new, clearer audio for dialogue. For example, the Quidditch match now has a scorekeeper shouting the score before and during the Dementors attack. It threw me a bit because I was so used to the original audio, but maybe its better for newbies....I don’t know...can’t comment.
are you sure that scorekeeper is new?? I've been riding this ride since it's opening in Orlando (Easily over 15 times now just in orlando) and I always remember hearing the scorekeeper and when riding the ride in Hollywood I never noticed a noticeable change. I may have been so captivated and in awe that I was riding my favorite ride now in Hollywood instead of orlando but I actually do always remember that scorekeeper. Unless you are just saying that it is now clearer? 

are you sure that scorekeeper is new?? I've been riding this ride since it's opening in Orlando (Easily over 15 times now just in orlando) and I always remember hearing the scorekeeper and when riding the ride in Hollywood I never noticed a noticeable change. I may have been so captivated and in awe that I was riding my favorite ride now in Hollywood instead of orlando but I actually do always remember that scorekeeper. Unless you are just saying that it is now clearer? 
No you're right it's in Orlando too, it's just mixed differently here. It's almost a little too overbearing compared to the action sound fx.

Hollywood's Hogsmeade is slightly bigger than Orlando. I was talking to a higher up yesterday about it and he said it's almost exactly like Japan besides the extra street behind Dervish and Banges (which we all knew). Our land is 6-acres while the original is 4-acres without Dragon Challenge.

Reactions: William
Hollywood's Hogsmead is slightly bigger than Orlando. I was talking to a higher up yesterday about it and he said it's almost exactly like Japan besides the extra street behind Dervish and Banges (which we all knew). Our land is 6-acres while the original is 4-acres without Dragon Challenge.
I think it feels smaller since you can see the castle even before walking in to Hogsmeade. In Orlando, it's completely hidden until you round the corner.

Reactions: Aaron
I think it feels smaller since you can see the castle even before walking in to Hogsmeade. In Orlando, it's completely hidden until you round the corner.
That makes sense. It feels "smaller" to me just becuase it's nestled in the middle of the park! I still love our Hogsmeade though haha. Also great review, I entirely agree about the TMs. The land is wonderful but the people working there are the ones who are making the experience fantastic.

Reactions: JaySalahi
Should we expect most of the Wizarding world to be open to the public on April 5th?  This is 2 days before the official opening.  I understand it's open now sometimes for soft openings, but as it gets closer will they close it or open it more?  We are planning a visit and I have no idea what to expect.  I know my kids will probably be disappointed if they don't get to see any of it, while it's so close to opening, but unfortunately we have to be back in northern calif. on the 7th.  Thanks in advance from anyone who might have insight. 

I just joined the forum, so hey!! :)

I absolutely am so excited that Wizarding World is so close to me now up here in B.C. Canada! 

I worked in Orlando summer 2013 at Disney, and had an Annual Pass for Universal Orlando, and absolutely LOVED Wizarding World.

Now I do not know if I should admit this aloud, but I never wait in line for the lockers... I just went in the shop and entered the lockers through the exit... and it never seemed to be an issue? Am I a bad person? Or did I just work the system really well?

Rumors about Diagonal Alley. May start construction very soon to compete against Disney's Star Wars Land:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2016/02/universal-studios-hollywood-harry.html?m=1
There are so many rumors about Diagon Alley and there's a thread for it here.  Diagon Alley certainly seems like a tough build for USH vs USF, as Hollywood's park is smaller and on a hill while Orlando has two large parks on flat land.  I'm surprised to see that they would be starting construction before Hogsmeade and Hogwarts even grand opens.  It's a good way to compete with Star Wars Land, but as space is always an issue at USH, I'm not 100% sure how true these rumors are, but we'll see. 

How is it looking for softs going forward? Is the plan to have it open most days unless there is an event? Like is Saturday a pretty safe bet?

I also totally get anything can happen and it's unpredictable, but I'm trying to bring some friends on a day where it is safer than others that they'll experience it.

Disney&More said they had already cleared the ground for Diagon Alley. I think someone would have noticed that.

Is this the ground clearing they are talking about?

DSCN1437.jpg

I don't think that's enough room for Diagon Alley and Gringotts. Plus, it's a fair distance from the theme park with no easy access.

Long time visitor to the site, but relatively new to the forums.  I've been checking a lot these last few weeks to get the low down on the soft opening dates.  :)

I was fortunate enough to attend the opening Friday, Saturday and Sunday last weekend.  I got on FB about 8 times, FoH 2 times, got my interactive wand, and spent about a total of 8 hours in the land over the course of the 3 days.  I've also been to Orlando's twice (including DA).

The one thing I haven't heard anyone mention are some of the small alleyways.  Yes, there's an extra corridor behind Dervish & Banges.  But I also didn't discover until my last day that there's a short, dead end corridor behind Honeydukes.  It doesn't really lead anywhere expect to a nice Honeydukes window display (and a TM entrance/exit), but I though it was very interesting that there'd be this "undiscovered" area and display in an area where frankly, very few people would ever see it.  It gave me a new level of respect for their attention to detail.

I do agree with most of what's been said already:  it's a bummer single riders need to wait outside to get into the castle queue (If the outdoor queue is being used), the office building.  I liked the 3D more than I thought I would, also though I noticed the first flying effect is noticeably blurrier than that final one.  But really, if you ask me, this is what soft openings are all about, so I'd like to hope that most of these issues, whenever possible, would be fixed before the final opening.

I was noticing that behind FoH, where it'd be easiest to put trees to block the office building, is an access road, with Waterworld immediately behind that.  I'm wondering if that prevents just putting in more trees.

I also went to Hog’s Head and ordered a Deathly Hallows, to which the bartender said “we don’t have that here”. 
haha..I ordered a "Deathly Hallows" on Saturday as well!!

The bartender gave me a look and was like "We have it, but it's not called that." and then said "WE cant call it that, but I can make it for you sure.." and made it for me! 

It was delicious!! 

View attachment 79