Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
James Cameron not-so-subtly trying to re-take his title :lol: :

This was bound to happen since Disney distributes both Avatar and Endgame. Of course Disney is gonna want to try and play a little back and forth. Avatar will probably retake the title and then Endgame will get a erelease and retake the title. And the mouse profits off of all of it.

What will be interesting is how well it performs in China, especially since their box office is so vibrant right now. They have two films that have grossed more than $680M this year and one over $700M (and a third film that has grossed over $150M).

Reactions: Grabnar
This was bound to happen since Disney distributes both Avatar and Endgame. Of course Disney is gonna want to try and play a little back and forth. Avatar will probably retake the title and then Endgame will get a erelease and retake the title. And the mouse profits off of all of it.

What will be interesting is how well it performs in China, especially since they're box office is so vibrant right now.
It also might act as an unofficial test of the franchise's staying power within the region.

Reactions: Nick
Or a test to see if China is checking for Disney since the past few releases massively underperformed expectations.
Soul did $57M in China, which I believe was said to be one of the highest grossing Pixar movies in China ever (for example, Incredibles 2 did $51M and TS4 did 29.1M).

Soul did $57M in China, which I believe was said to be one of the highest grossing Pixar movies in China ever (for example, Incredibles 2 did $51M and TS4 did 29.1M).

Coco is the highest grossing Pixar Movie in China which did $187 million.

Coco is the highest grossing Pixar Movie in China which did $187 million.
Mulan just wasn't all that good of a movie and from what I hear, things are different in China. Ticket prices vary depending on the weekend and if a movie sucks, word gets out quick and it will fall off the charts like a dropping rock.

Raya had a weird add campaign and tbh, has split audience opinion. Raya is struggling in the US and had Mulan been released theatrically here, I bet it would've struggled, too. Soul was a top notch movie that performed very well for the times we were living in during it's release 2.5 months ago.

China seems to like American films that are visual effects heavy and not overly dialogue dependent (Just thinking about Coco and Avatar).

The thing that's weird to me is the assumption that Southeast Asian representation will translate to success in the Chinese market. Surely these journalist must know that China's relations with many Southeast Asia countries is at best at least a little contentious.

The thing that's weird to me is the assumption that Southeast Asian representation will translate to success in the Chinese market. Surely these journalist must know that China's relations with many Southeast Asia countries is at best at least a little contentious.
Yeah, Raya wasn't aimed specifically at China like Mulan was. This was a movie aimed at the Filipino audience, which is a very, very niche audience. Doesn't mean the film was bad, but it also doesn't mean that it was supposed to land with the Chinese audiences.

Yeah, Raya wasn't aimed specifically at China like Mulan was. This was a movie aimed at the Filipino audience, which is a very, very niche audience. Doesn't mean the film was bad, but it also doesn't mean that it was supposed to land with the Chinese audiences.
Yep definitely just the Philippines and not anywhere else. No Mekong area influence to be found. Nope...

Reactions: RevFreako

What will be interesting is how well it performs in China, especially since their box office is so vibrant right now. They have two films that have grossed more than $680M this year and one over $700M (and a third film that has grossed over $150M).

I was expecting it. Just not until a few months out from Avatar 2 when they'd have a trailer ready to go and be attached to screenings. Obviously, they want to take advantage of the big boom China's box-office is having. But, like you said, the minute Avatar passes Endgame, MCU fans will return to try and bring it back on top.

So I was watching Dan Murrell's video on the box office this week and it becomes very clear very quickly why the film struggled in North America this weekend. To recap:

- Cinemark did not play Raya (#3 Cinema Chain in US)
- Harkens did not play Raya (#5 Cinema Chain in US)
- CinePlex did not play Raya (#1 Cinema Chain in Canada)
- Regal is still closed (#2 Cinema chain in US)

Nationwide, Tom & Jerry had more screens than Raya because of this. The Cinemark thing was highly publicized, but I didn't know about the other two and forgot Regal was still closed. Most of it boils down to the fact that Disney wouldn't come off of a 50/50 split while doing Premiere Access (PA). WB has been doing a 40/60 split giving the theaters more money due to the fact that they are allowing people to watch the movie day and date on HBOMax, but Disney wouldn't budge and the Cinemas for the most part decided not to play the movie. Had AMC skipped out too, it would've only had a few hundred screens.

This is very clearly the theaters drawing a line in the sand and saying that they get these are strange times, but if you're going to do day and date, you're also going to give us more money or your movie isn't getting shown. If Disney makes nice with these theaters, I could still see Raya being a longterm play like Croods 2 was, but they've gotta get it into more theaters.

And just like that, Avatar is officially #1 Worldwide All-time again. It'll sound good when Advertising Avatar 2. I'm sure Disney will do a more broad re-release once the theatrical situation is healthier in other parts of the world. I'm sure they want Europe, Latin America, and the North American audiences to be exposed to it again and ready for the sequel next December.

Last edited:
And just like that, Avatar is officially #1 Worldwide All-time again. It'll sound good when Advertising Avatar 2. I'm sure Disney will do a more broad re-release once the theatrical situation is healthier in other parts of the world. I'm sure they want Europe, Latin America, and the North American audiences to be exposed to it again and ready for the sequel next December.

The bouncing between Avatar and Marvel is very weird when both are Disney. It gives a monopoly vibe even though I know they technically aren't. It's like when people describe Dems and Repubs as two sides of the same reptile deep-state government.*

*(To be clear, this is not a political comment. Just making a comparison on how people discuss politics.)

The bouncing between Avatar and Marvel is very weird when both are Disney. It gives a monopoly vibe even though I know they technically aren't.
As the article points out, there's a long tradition of one movie congratulating another when a record is surpassed, although in both the instance of Endgame passing Avatar (remember, it got a re-release to pass Avatar to begin with) and now Avatar passing Endgame again, it was just two Disney properties congratulating each other. I'm sure this won't be the last time we see this either as I expect endgame to be re-released down the line to re-take #1 and the dance goes on.

At that point, it's less of a Hollywood tradition and more of a joke between the two movies, with Zoe Saldana always coming out on top. :lol:

As an update, a majority of Southern California movie theaters will be reopening this weekend; as San Diego County, LA County, Orange County, Riverside County and more will be allowed to reopen movie theaters.

So I got thinking and obviously TFatWS got outshined big time by the Snyder Cut. Yes, it was a movie vs. 1 episode of a show, I get that. However, with the exception of 3 months, the entirety of Disney+'s existence has been during the pandemic, meaning they've owned Friday's without any movie competition. Even the initial launch of Disney+ was perfect (when theaters were open) as there was no movies that could compete with The Mandalorian with the exception of Disney movies (Frozen 2 and SW: TRoS), which since the audience for those is so similar to Mando, I don't think it distracted from the show.

TFatWS alone is going up against Snyder Cut, GvK and Mortal Kombat (point being they are all theatrical level movies) on 3 of the 6 weeks the show is airing. Loki will get hit by F9, In The Heights, Top Gun: Maverick, etc. Big movies are coming back to theaters very soon (or straight to streaming included with subscription) and none of this is event factoring Netflix into the mix. I guess my point is, Netflix's model works because they release shows in the binge format, so their shows are like one long-form movie, meaning they have the ability to compete with a movie.

I'm just not quite sure the weekly release format translates all that well when there's huge blockbusters in theaters. WandaVision was extremely popular week-to-week in part because there was nothing else to watch (also it was the start of phase 4). But when the choices for premium content become more and more, I just don't know how they continue to keep people interested on a week to week basis the more I think about it once a lot of big movies start to actually hit theaters and more and as people get vaccinated, people will want to do things outside of their house like go to a theater instead of spending another night in.

Maybe, i'm way off and it'll be the opposite, but idk. Just something I was thinking of and then sort of word vomited :lol:

If I were running things, I would seriously reconsider the wisdom of releasing both movies AND series on weekends. I know why they do such things (people theoretically have more time on weekends, and there's usually very little other news, so you can drive conversation online), but I think we're getting to a point where so much content is going to be dropping on Fridays that there's going to be little room for things to stand out.

Reactions: SeventyOne
If I were running things, I would seriously reconsider the wisdom of releasing both movies AND series on weekends. I know why they do such things (people theoretically have more time on weekends, and there's usually very little other news, so you can drive conversation online), but I think we're getting to a point where so much content is going to be dropping on Fridays that there's going to be little room for things to stand out.
Sunday is actually the spot I would go for. It's the anti-Friday of sorts. It's a day made for big, primetime event shows (if Disney+ would ever air their shows during primetime instead of 3am, that would help) and it's also sort of a kick off to the week and then they can be water cooler talk all through the work week, like GoT used to be. Friday's are really a bad spot for event TV series, imo.