Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So in Animated Film News, Netflix ended up buying the distribution rights to Sony's "Connected" (Except for China.), and restoring the original name of the film to "The Mitchells vs. The Machines".

Netflix Buys Lord and Miller Cartoon Mitchells vs. Machines From Sony - Variety

Didn't see this one coming, but it's a neat move from Netflix. I'm also glad they gave the film it's original name since I'm really tired of the generic one word film titles.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
So in Animated Film News, Netflix ended up buying the distribution rights to Sony's "Connected" (Except for China.), and restoring the original name of the film to "The Mitchells vs. The Machines".

Netflix Buys Lord and Miller Cartoon Mitchells vs. Machines From Sony - Variety

Didn't see this one coming, but it's a neat move from Netflix. I'm also glad they gave the film it's original name since I'm really tired of the generic one word film titles.
Sony potentially has a very interesting place in this new evolving market for movies.

They have no streaming service, so they can sell rights to their stuff when they want to cut and run. But they can could try to scoop up some talent that WB is shaking out of the tree promising to adhere to a theatrical window since they want that as well.

Looks like at least one of the big theater chains might see the other side of this.
AMC somehow keeps finding people to give them money. I'm not gonna complain though as long as we still have theaters around after this. The studios for the most part, even with Mulan, WW84, Soul, and the upcoming HBO Max slate, have shown incredible restraint and a real dedication to the theatrical experience in terms of Studios' upcoming slates. With the exception of WB, all studios have continued to push their movies back further so that they can recoup their investments at the box office before going to streaming.

As of right now, theaters are showing WB's films alongside them launching on HBO Max, but part of me wonders if, once other studios start flooding the marketplace, will theaters still carry HBO Max's films? Of course, I think the biggest mistake Disney has made in all of this is NOT allowing theaters to carry their movies that they've been pulling from the release schedule and putting on streaming. Artemis Fowl and Hamilton couldn't have been shown due to theaters still being closed, but The One and Only Ivan, Mulan, and Soul could've made at least a decent pandemic amount of money during times when theaters had nothing to show. And if i'm correct, Raya and the last Dragon will be Premiere Access only, too.

It looks like the rise of the "meme stock" is here. GameStop really saw an absolutely unprecedented stock rise in a successful attempt to kick out a hedge fund group. AMC is now seeing a stock rise today, in an attempt to help save the theater chain. I guess this could be thought of as a form of crowd funding? :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: Grabnar
That hedge fund is currently down ~$13B lol. Stock trading algorithms and AIs don't try and account for a bunch of people being stupid and stubborn all at the same time so hedge funds are stuck with a bunch of short positions that are going to lose a ton of money :lol:

Couldn't happen to a better group of blood sucking parasites people

That hedge fund is currently down ~$13B lol. Stock trading algorithms and AIs don't try and account for a bunch of people being stupid and stubborn all at the same time so hedge funds are stuck with a bunch of short positions that are going to lose a ton of money :lol:

Couldn't happen to a better group of blood sucking parasites people
A lot of people are making it seem like it's the end of the world, but Wall street people throwing a fit about how their fake "economy" is being infiltrated is just hilarious to me. Hedge Funds like that suck and deserve crap like that and tbh, i'd love to see this stuff happen more often. Wall Street (but Hedge funds especially) can get too complacent and like you said, they aren't accounting for a subreddit to come knocking down their door.

A lot of people are making it seem like it's the end of the world, but Wall street people throwing a fit about how their fake "economy" is being infiltrated is just hilarious to me. Hedge Funds like that suck and deserve crap like that and tbh, i'd love to see this stuff happen more often. Wall Street (but Hedge funds especially) can get too complacent and like you said, they aren't accounting for a subreddit to come knocking down their door.
1611756587483.png

Universal’s PVOD sales were four times what would have come in via the traditional digital home entertainment window alone, according to the DEG, of which Universal is a member.

“Since the launch of PVOD, we’ve learned a tremendous amount, much of which has validated our belief that PVOD is poised to complement the theatrical business in a way that can meaningfully benefit the ecosystem across consumers, distributors and studios,” Universal Pictures Home Entertainment President Michael Bonner said in a press release.

Universal has definitely had the best release strategy. Croods 2 making more in theaters than WW84 along with being available for rent at $19.99 on PVOD (HBO Max is $14.99) and super profitable proves it.

So AMC has actually been smart and taken advantage of the wild week on Wall Street and their stock being built up. They were able to cut down their debt by $600M by using a stock option. Along with the $900M they already secured going forward, this is another step in helping them survive COVID.

In a filing on Thursday, AMC said affiliates of Silver Lake Group, and certain co-investors elected to convert these convertible notes into shares of the Company’s Class A common stock at a conversion price of US$13.51 per share.

The conversion is expected to settle on January 29 and will result in issuance of 44.4 million shares of the company's Class A common stock.

AMC's bonds rallied sharply on the news, with a first lien 10.5% 2026 secured note climbing 6 points to trade at par, implying investors expect a full recovery on the notes. A 12% 2026 PIK toggle bond climbed as much as 12.75 points this morning to a cash price of US$75.5 and a yield of 19.472%, but last traded at US$68, up 5.25 cents on the dollar for the day.

Reactions: Grabnar
So AMC has actually been smart and taken advantage of the wild week on Wall Street and their stock being built up. They were able to cut down their debt by $600M by using a stock option. Along with the $900M they already secured going forward, this is another step in helping them survive COVID.

Bless the memes, bless the stonks.

Reactions: n i c k