Theme Park Safety | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Park Safety

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Allen The Actor

Allen The Actor
Jan 10, 2013
Hill Valley, California
With all the recent shootings and bombings in the past year, it's actually made me feel less safe at Universal and Disney, especially Disney since it's such an "American icon". The security is pure crap at both Universal and Disney. Any schmuck can easily sneak in a bomb or gun if it's deep enough in their bag or on their body. And with Disney and Universal, but especially Disney, being "landmarks" so to speak and have a huge number of people, I think they're very likely targets.

Personally I'm going to be writing a letter to Disney and Universal and request they up the security. Better safe than sorry. I don't care if it would take an additional 20-30 mins to get into the park, but I wouldn't mind metal detectors and those walk through detectors. Theme them to the Jurassic Park arch or make it pink at Disney, i dont care. The Staples Center has them, so why not Disney and Universal?

What's everyone's opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jerry 92602
Staples has them because people are going near pro athletes and sports fans tend to get really riled up. I personally feel fine at both parks. There are far better targets for an attack than a theme park. I will vouch for Disney and say that they're well aware of how big a target they could potentially be, and the undercover security there is the real protective force in the park. I can't speak for universal but I am sure they have their own similar plans.

I don't think heightened security checks really equal safety. Look at the TSA, they make you go damn near naked and still miss things. If someone really wants to hurt people, they will find a way around whatever security screenings they come around.

I understand the feeling, but fear is not the answer, while it's understandable to have some. The key thing here is for people to be more aware of their surroundings and say something to someone in charge if they have a concern. I would encourage everyone to not react with fear to do your favorite things like going to big theme parks, because fear is the reaction that these people are trying to produce when things like these bombings happen.

That said, the guards at universal don't check bags properly and I've had my pocket knife in my pocket before and walked right past them without a word. Same at Disney. That is definitely an area they could improve in. But beyond that, I believe the parks are safe and I trust in their emergency response plans.

I know what you mean. The security barely checks the bags, just a quick glance inside and they're good to go. Its ironic to know that the high quality themed parks do this, yet the moderately operated Magic Mountain across the way has metal detectors before stepping into the area to even get inside the park.

I feel just as safe at a theme park as i would in a mall. Six Flags had the necessity to add metal detectors as it was the Theme park fighting capitol back in the 90's(many people where stabbed and shot here during this wild times). I would absolutely hate going through metal detectors every time i go to the park. An Ari is right any heightened security wouldn't stop someone with a Malice in mind. Lets not let fear run our lives. Yes security doesnt check bags as properly this is true but they dont just check bags they read people also before they enter. Like me i walk in with a back pack, Kong360 lanyard on my neck and wearing a jp sweater and the security figures im a usual "let him through". But maybe someone who looks a lil more sketch might get a full back pack checking. Ive been through that line when they search my entire back pack also. Did u guys know they dont allow large bags of chips to be brought in? Happened during a security check point and i had to walk my chips back to the car.

I understand we can't live in fear and we can't 100% protect ourselves from freaks who are out to destroy mankind and goodness. But just like gun laws that could be in place, if a little extra security would help find ONE crazy person and in that doing help save lots of people from disaster, then why not?

I sincerely wouldn't mind going through metal detractors each time. I really wouldn't. Knowing I'm a LITTLE bit safer coming into the park compared to if there weren't metal detractors and extra security, would make all the difference.

In my vacation to Israel in 2006 during that war, it was scary as all hell, but what I was shocked to see but then loved, was that every major gathering place had intense security. Movie theatres, malls, you name it. Even little "Ralphs" or Vons type of grocery stores had metal detractors and security. I learned to really appreciate it while I was there for two months. I know it isn't the same situation here, but better safe than sorry.

Especially at Disneyland, where it's literally an American Icon.....

At HHN it gets Alot Crazier every night, but the security Level is Strong. couple of people get kicked out of the event, and also they have Metal Detectors at front gates. so i feel much safer when i go.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the parks, and I don't usually let fear get to me. I'm just making discussion lol.

Obviously if some terrorist or crackpot is out to hurt people, they'll find a way. And I know Disney has undercover security sometimes. But in terms of sneaking stuff into Universal or Disney, it's extremely easy. Neither Disney or Universal check properly, sometimes at. They remind me of rent a cops or parental security at schools.

Ill keep going to the parks obviously. I just personally wish the security and the checking was tighter. I'm well aware than even with the strictest security like the TSA, like Adri mentioned, can miss certain things. BUT...it's better than nothing. And like I said, I'd rather have the security in place to at least prevent ONE tragedy from happening. You can't stop everyone. But if even one person is saved, its worth it in my eyes.

And Bob Dylan, I don't let fear control me, don't worry. I'm more or less making discussion, because in my opinion, I think it's an issue at Disney and Universal, at least in terms of them checking the bags.

Great discussion so far, and I'll just reiterate the points made about Six Flags. They've improved the park in meaningful ways over the years, but their entire operation still leaves something to be desired. The entire park just can't compare to Universal, Disney, Knotts or even SeaWorld. That's not good or bad, but they simply attract a different level of guest.

As for the whole idea of safety at Universal - I wouldn't worry. I've seen the transformation of airport security over years, and to be frank, statistics show that their entire operation hasn't been effective as they claim it to be despite the increased security measures. I'm all for increased awareness, but I can tell you personally that Universal does a decent job at monitoring the entire park for suspicious activity. If anything, the TSA and the security at the front gate act as a deterrent rather than as a stringent level of inspection. I'll tell you right now, the mood in the park will definitely change if you add metal detectors. It did so for Halloween Horror Nights, and it always has at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Disney and Universal are taking appropriate steps for their current status in the theme park industry. Can things be stepped up? Definitely. But I don't think any additional steps would be effective.

It can definitely be stepped up. I'd rather have it be slightly effective and prevent SOMETHING than not be I'm place at all. What's the point of bag checks if they're pointless right now?

Although again, Universal feels fine in my eyes. It's Disneyland I'm worried about. I remember reading somewhere that Disneyland or Six Flags wete potential targets on 9/11 (idk why six flags...)

And personally, I don't think it changes the mood. Maybe its the type of person I am. I dont live in fear but I'm very cautious. Adventurous, but cautious. Like, I very much enjoy gated communities. That little extra barrier of protection is good in my eyes, regardless how effective it may be. It's more effective than not being in place at all. That's why to me personally, seeing metal detectors or other extra security at Universal wouldn't make me uncomfortable or give a bad atmosphere.

But I see everyone's points

Trust me, the mood would change and they would probably hurt park attendance as people would then see added security and assume that something had happened or that the park was no longer as safe as before. I'm kind of the opposite, I really don't like gated communities or enormous security checks. Maybe I've read too many cautionary authoritarian books. =P

Reactions: BernardMesa
And personally, I don't think it changes the mood. Maybe its the type of person I am. I dont live in fear but I'm very cautious. Adventurous, but cautious. Like, I very much enjoy gated communities. That little extra barrier of protection is good in my eyes, regardless how effective it may be. It's more effective than not being in place at all. That's why to me personally, seeing metal detectors or other extra security at Universal wouldn't make me uncomfortable or give a bad atmosphere.

But I see everyone's points
I think the analogy with the gated communities is different. In the case of Universal, I'd equate bag checks with gated communities, and metal detectors with police cars surrounding a block. Totally different sentiment for both.

Perhaps it's because of Six Flags, but that's what I automatically think of when I see metal detectors in front of a park entrance. It's not a good feeling, and I've traveled enough to be comfortable with major security checks. Context is key.

I'm not a coaster fanatic, no. I don't mind them, if they're fun and well themed, I don't mind. But all the accidents, cheap rides, lack of themeing, lack of actual dark rides, ride safety, and bad crowd have always turned me off from parks like Six Flags. I could barely stand Knotts. That's why I love Disney and Universal. Hey, each to their own :)

As a former Six Flags employee I can say that the metal detectors are a necessity. Co-workers notified me that sometimes there would be knives hidden in the bushes between the entrance and parking lot (since visitors didnt want to walk all the way to their car). In the 90s with the increased gang activity in Southern California them adding metal detectors was the right decision. I agree that their operations department isn't very organized, however the few instances whenever I or a coworker reported anything, security was there instantly. Having a police station onsite makes sense. Six Flags is terrible for customer service or maintenance but people would be surprised about the high level of undercover security in the park. Even on off-season days the park does not cheap out on security. 

Disney and Universal not having metal detectors is an accident waiting to happen. Think about Disney with their insane crowds and wait times for certain attractions. Calculate the summer heat into this and someone potentially having a weapon and you can see that a dangerous confrontation can occur. With the recent shootings and bombings I really hope that parks will up their security. I am not sure how thoroughly they check bags but it could be easy for someone to create a hidden compartment and possibly sneak something in. As for Six Flags being a target around 9/11 I visited the park in late 2001 and the sky tower was closed, the employee there informed us that it was shut down because of the 9/11 attacks. I am not sure if he was making it up or not but it seems very possible that the park would close it down because of this. Disneyland never opened on 9/11/01 due to the security risk.

I don't doubt Disney has anything less than a top notch security team but I think they need to take certain precautions.

Reactions: Jon Fu
I feel just as safe at a theme park as i would in a mall. Six Flags had the necessity to add metal detectors as it was the Theme park fighting capitol back in the 90's(many people where stabbed and shot here during this wild times). I would absolutely hate going through metal detectors every time i go to the park. An Ari is right any heightened security wouldn't stop someone with a Malice in mind. Lets not let fear run our lives. Yes security doesnt check bags as properly this is true but they dont just check bags they read people also before they enter. Like me i walk in with a back pack, Kong360 lanyard on my neck and wearing a jp sweater and the security figures im a usual "let him through". But maybe someone who looks a lil more sketch might get a full back pack checking. Ive been through that line when they search my entire back pack also. Did u guys know they dont allow large bags of chips to be brought in? Happened during a security check point and i had to walk my chips back to the car.
(FIRST POST, EXCITEMENT!!) I went to USH in April 23, My Friend Brought A Family Size Bag Of Chips And Let Him Through. Also, I don't feel Really Safe In USH Some Of My Friends Said It Would Be Easy To Bring In A Gun In A Bag. So Yeah, They Should At Least Do Full Bag Searches Not Just "Certain People."