Theme Park Safety | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Park Safety

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Welcome!

I think you should feel safe at Universal. I think regardless of the security put in place, there will always be a level of risk - just like any other public place. Look at airport security. Despite all the measures they've taken, people still manage to get through who want to cause harm.

nesboy43 - interesting note about Six Flags. I'm not surprised they spend most of their resources on security, but I'm impressed they've gone that far. Gang violence has gone down dramatically at the park, right?

I think USH should have a poll if people feel safe in the park so then the majors who control USH could see how many people feel safe and the people who don't really feel safe but just go for the attractions

I'm still gonna be writing a letter to both USH and DLR and ask that they slightly increase their security in the front of the park at least and to have the bag checks be more thorough. They literally peek inside and grab slightly around, and letcha through. I feel safe. But better safe than sorry. Cuz we know if somethin bad DOES happen in the parks, security will be nuts. I'd rather have it be in place NOW than after god forbid people die

I've honestly never felt or thought about being unsafe at Universal. It's just never been a thought that's come across me. I remember going to Knott's Scary Farm last year and having someone use one of those metal detector wands on me, along with every other guest entering. I understand why they'd use it during those types of events, but I don't really think it's necessary for a regular day at the park. I do, however, think the security should actually check your bag before entering. I can't count how many times I've thought to myself, 'I could've hidden a knife and he/she wouldn't even know!'

I've honestly never felt or thought about being unsafe at Universal. It's just never been a thought that's come across me. I remember going to Knott's Scary Farm last year and having someone use one of those metal detector wands on me, along with every other guest entering. I understand why they'd use it during those types of events, but I don't really think it's necessary for a regular day at the park. I do, however, think the security should actually check your bag before entering. I can't count how many times I've thought to myself, 'I could've hidden a knife and he/she wouldn't even know!'
Me too. This just gave me the thought

Their are to many factors to really be 100% safe. Plastics can also be made into weapons. They could still check a bag  and a person could carry a gun or knives on them. Unless something triggers them to have more security it wont be put in. When was the last time Universal Studios Hollywood(HHN already had extra security) had an incident that would call for more security?

Just because an incident hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't. I'd rather have everything be a BIT more preventable and safe than have it be mediocre at best. You can't 100% protect yourself at the parks. But if they upped the security, bag check, and a walkthrough metal detector, I personally wouldn't mine. Better than what's there now. Because we all know that if god forbid somethin bad DOES happen, itll be super strict. But why wait till someone dies when we can take a step to make it more preventable now?

NBCUniversal's Evolution Plan: A New Attraction Every Year!! 2015: All new Hollywood Metal Detectors!  :D

Not a bad idea, though. As long as it doesn't take an additional 20 mins just to walk through the front gate.  <_<

My friend has told me that some one had a stroke in shrek 4-d, the part where it has that pre show and supposedly you see things inside, I haven't seen anything unusual inside yet but I think that the people who never knew that happened and they see things, I think that they will think that it is part of the show and to me the metal detector edition is a hit or miss to a lot of people but some people including myself would like the metal detectors 1. I would feel more safer 2. If people don't go no more because of the metal detectors that means SHORTER LINES FOR EVERYONE ELSE!! 

Just because an incident hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't. I'd rather have everything be a BIT more preventable and safe than have it be mediocre at best. You can't 100% protect yourself at the parks. But if they upped the security, bag check, and a walkthrough metal detector, I personally wouldn't mine. Better than what's there now. Because we all know that if god forbid somethin bad DOES happen, itll be super strict. But why wait till someone dies when we can take a step to make it more preventable now?
Well I happened to be in LA and with a ticket for The Dark Knight Rises screening at 9 am on IMAX when the Aurora incident happened. I was expecting super tight security at the movie theater but nothing. Not even a bag search. I was expecting a full on strip search. Anyways... I think that they already have a lot of security in place that we don't even know about. I think it's not practical to have metal detectors because it is so annoying at airports with people having metal everywhere and having to go back the metal detectors to go through again. Well annoying things aside, I don't know how woud I feel having metal detectos at the entrance, like seeing that would tell me "this is the new normal" and make me sad of the days when it was fun to go to a theme park and not getting concerned about security

Reactions: Jerry 92602
nesboy43 - interesting note about Six Flags. I'm not surprised they spend most of their resources on security, but I'm impressed they've gone that far. Gang violence has gone down dramatically at the park, right?
Yes, the Gang violence there peaked in the mid 90s and they had a large amount of incidents then including fights and deaths related to gang violence. I know for a fact that in 96 someone was stabbed to death in the line for Riddler's Revenge. This was right around the time where gangs in Los Angeles were huge and the LA police was losing a fight with the gangs, luckily gang activity died down dramatically in LA (although it definitely does still exist) and also in Magic Mountain. Six Flags Magic Mountain is the choice park for the urban poor in Los Angeles. Magic Mountain has had little gang violence in their park for over a decade and their security is great. 

For as poorly maintained as that park is you are safer there than at Disneyland or Universal, Magic Mountain takes no chances and I applaud them for it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at magic mtn from 2001 to the end of that year. In that time there was a stabbing in the park and someone was murdered in the parking lot.