Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news...but taking it with a huge grain of salt. We are Day 3 of a Curfew in LA County, so no clue if The City of Universal wants another targeted area for events to play out on june 8th.

(not trying to make it political but I live in LA and this is this current situation and doesn't look like its going to let up soon, so it will be a fact in reopening parks)
Orange County in Florida also has curfews.

Orange County in Florida also has curfews.
If Florida and California ran things the same then Universal and Disney would have announced opening dates for the parks.
Second Those Businesses just reopened which would be harder to shut down over one's that never reopened

I'm just saying June 8th for anything new opening in La sounds like a long shot

Keep in mind these timelines were discussed before curfews/the current political action began. We will have to see how things play out, but it's fair to suggest that openings could be delayed should especially restrictive curfews (i.e. any time before, say, 10pm) continue indefinitely.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Keep in mind these timelines were discussed before curfews/the current political action began. We will have to see how things play out, but it's fair to suggest that openings could be delayed should especially restrictive curfews (i.e. any time before, say, 10pm) continue indefinitely.
Well, Universal is currently only going to be operating it's parks until 6, although that does mean that some TMs would be scheduled until 8. If Orange county goes to 8 or earlier, I simply see Universal adjusting operating hours to accommodate the curfew.

Although does a curfew mean that third shift can't come in for the time being though? Because that would be problematic if this continues over an extended period of time.

From the reports I saw from yesterday attendance at Legoland was sparse. Anecdotally, I drove past Gatorland over the weekend and their parking lot was a fraction of what it would normally be on a weekend. As far as I know Citywalk and Disney Springs haven't really had capacity issues where they needed to turn people away. I just wonder with the parks re-opening if they will even draw enough people to sustain the business to justify re-opening?

From the reports I saw from yesterday attendance at Legoland was sparse. Anecdotally, I drove past Gatorland over the weekend and their parking lot was a fraction of what it would normally be on a weekend. As far as I know Citywalk and Disney Springs haven't really had capacity issues where they needed to turn people away. I just wonder with the parks re-opening if they will even draw enough people to sustain the business to justify re-opening?
People were a bit preoccupied this weekend. For Universal I don't really think it matters though. Even if they are operating at a loss for a period of time, I think they want the optics of being open and it's a good warm-up period for TMs as they get used to everything.

The smaller places like Fun Spot, Legoland, etc may have a tougher time if they are operating at a loss. But then they can always go to what SeaWorld is doing and do reduced hours AND something like only 5 day per week operation.

I find it interesting that Universal has showtimes for Shrek, Barney, and Animal Actors..

yet still no confirmation for Poseidon or Fear Factor. I’m guessing Horror Make-Up either isn’t happening or there’s a small hybrid show outside the entrance.

On the flip side, Sunday H20 Live looked very busy from 192, and while Springs wasn't slammed, it was far from empty (despite some of its biggest Sunday brunch draws--Raglan, Homecomin'--being closed). I'm very curious to see crowds at VB v. the other parks this weekend.

The questions that's in my mind for these re openings is...Will local Florida residents, who generally hide in their a/c homes, and out on the beaches,during the uncomfortable summer weather, show up in any kind of numbers to attend theme parks. Will tourists,outside of adjacent states, travel to Orlando. Seems to me that Disney, with their DVC crowd, may be in a better place than the other parks.

Reactions: Clive and GA-MBIT
The questions that's in my mind for these re openings is...Will local Florida residents, who generally hide in their a/c homes, and out on the beaches,during the uncomfortable summer weather, show up in any kind of numbers to attend theme parks. Will tourists,outside of adjacent states, travel to Orlando. Seems to me that Disney, with their DVC crowd, may be in a better place than the other parks.
I’m a tourist from S.C. traveling this weekend. Cancelled my July trip to Disney in favor of universal because universal ain’t BSing

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Not this Fl resident

• Haha
Orlando Informer Community on Facebook is running a live cam right now at USF for the TM and guest now second day . They were just in Diagon. Maybe two dozen people on the Diagon streets, at most. London area was empty. I'm going back to FB to watch it....Edit: at noon, maybe about a dozen people in the Simpsons area. Kang & Kodas down. Doc Brown on train. Social Distance so no mask....One of the Sponge Bob characters on KidZone stage. Kidzone as expected, empty. Small crowd around Mels. Music. SLOP Float. Scooby Doo and the Gang on stage at Mels. Betty Boop on stage at Horror Show front. ....Hollywood walk down Main street, just about empty...Production Central. About a dozen people out and about. Rides all listed at 5 minutes. .....Looks like the characters are getting their practice runs in. No character masks for the ones at far distance....Betty Boop actually looks pretty great on a stage. Maybe they should do that in normal times. .

Last edited:

Central FL resident here and I’m hoping to go to the parks this summer. I have a Disney staycation all ready to go in August, and I’m still hopefully planning a staycation for Universal + HHN in the fall.

However, I did go to Disney Springs last week and it got tough wearing a disposable mask during a 100 degree heat index day. Carrying water and a fan helped, but it did feel worse to me than an average day in the heat, so my visits will be limited.

Central FL resident here and I’m hoping to go to the parks this summer. I have a Disney staycation all ready to go in August, and I’m still hopefully planning a staycation for Universal + HHN in the fall.

However, I did go to Disney Springs last week and it got tough wearing a disposable mask during a 100 degree heat index day. Carrying water and a fan helped, but it did feel worse to me than an average day in the heat, so my visits will be limited.
Not saying this applies to you. I find that wearing a hat is a huge mistake while wearing a mask. There's no where for excess body heat to go. My recommendation is to not wear a hat in places where you have to wear a face covering.

Not saying this applies to you. I find that wearing a hat is a huge mistake while wearing a mask. There's no where for excess body heat to go. My recommendation is to not wear a hat in places where you have to wear a face covering.

It’s ok, this 100% applies to me as I was wearing a hat that day-I will not be making that same mistake again.

Also, I’ve found oversized sunglasses can cause a problem with lenses fogging up.

Well, Universal is currently only going to be operating it's parks until 6, although that does mean that some TMs would be scheduled until 8. If Orange county goes to 8 or earlier, I simply see Universal adjusting operating hours to accommodate the curfew.

Although does a curfew mean that third shift can't come in for the time being though? Because that would be problematic if this continues over an extended period of time.

Sorry, I should've clarified. I don't think the Orlando parks will reverse course - opening dates are either announced or have already taken place. In Los Angeles/California, however, where opening dates are still opaque... I could see them delaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.