Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they aren't required at VB. But read what they said at tell me where anyone even could wear a mask on an attraction if "slides and Pools" are not allowed? It's idiotic.
No- I’m saying that verbiage is what they would answer about their dry parks.

“do I have to wear masks on the rides?”

that is their boiler plate answer. The responder didn’t read the question that was specific to VB and just copy/pasted an answer.

Reactions: Nick
You must mean pre purchase? If you fly to Orlando this August you could walk up to the ticket counter at the MK and buy a ticket, correct?

I'm guessing that as long as capacity is limited, they will not be selling any new tickets. How long that goes on is anyone's guess.

As it sits right now the only way to go into the park will be through their new reservation system they are setting up. And the only way to do a reservation is if you already have a ticket.

I was eligible to go today. Had tickets and everything. Was gonna meet-up with some friends for the first time since the last day of operation. I decided against it because I just didn't care enough and neither did my friends.

You have to remember, the only people that can go to this are part-time/Seasonal (basically those that are on furlough) because Full-Time are all working staffing the parks and CityWalk today. Most TMs don't actually care too much about visiting the parks, they really don't. People who get hired for HHN do, but everyone else works there too much to care enough to come there and not get paid.

I know they aren't required at VB. But read what they said at tell me where anyone even could wear a mask on an attraction if "slides and Pools" are not allowed? It's idiotic.
It's literally an answer copy and pasted from the FAQs on the website.

- The TM guests were really good about wearing their masks today. From the time I was out in the park, nearly everybody had their mask on, never took them off, at least in my view.
- Attendance was indeed low. Fantastic for social distancing. They probably need more guests to test out all the reopening procedures in a more full park, hence the last-minute bring a guest announcement. Coworker joked that everyone was at Hagrid's - which, she's probably not wrong.
- Characters all were waving with some kind of barrier between them and guests - whether it was in the raised grass bed (Hello Kitty), up on steps (Shrek), in a moving car (Marilyn), in a parade float (Minions and Gru's family), or on a stage (Beetlejuice).
- No biometric scans today for park entry today.
- Sounds like some people might have been invited/chosen randomly for a mock VIP tour - part or all, their choice.
- Also, when choosing a day to visit the park during TM preview, TMs are not given a choice of time like the APs were - just day and park(s) (USF & IOA or VB - however, with the new announcement, according to UO Team, looks like all 3 parks are an option now).

You have to remember, the only people that can go to this are part-time/Seasonal (basically those that are on furlough) because Full-Time are all working staffing the parks and CityWalk today. Most TMs don't actually care too much about visiting the parks, they really don't. People who get hired for HHN do, but everyone else works there too much to care enough to come there and not get paid.

True. Not everyone who works at the parks are theme park fans like us here - some don't even have APs to all the major parks in Orlando. But some do....... ;)

So the need to get a ticket with a specific date/time as used for the AP preview, this will continue once the park fully re-opens on Friday?

I think i'm well aware of that by now since everyone wants to let me know, but thanks. Again, still dumb when you read it in regards to a water park.

Nick, man - I'm trying to see if from your POV but I'm not seeing where the gripe is coming from. :lol: Maybe a little help? or at least what you expected?

Sounds pretty close to the truth.

Alright, it's a question that's driving me crazy because I haven't heard any discussion of it, but are the body slides at VB going to be open?

Nick, man - I'm trying to see if from your POV but I'm not seeing where the gripe is coming from. :lol: Maybe a little help? or at least what you expected?
"Guests will be required to wear face coverings on attractions"

"The only exception will be for attractions that include significant water as a part of the experience, as well as Volcano Bay's pools and slides"

I don't have a gripe, I get that this was a copy and paste. But the original context was someone asking about VB and this is the answer they got. I just feel like there could be more clarity in an answer that is specific to Volcano Bay, rather than a small mention of it. The way it's worded, it sounds like you are required to wear masks on the slides, but then the exception is the pools and slides. It's sloppy wording.

Their bots and copy/paste seem to have gotten a lot worse since the shutdown... I asked on FB messenger about linking my annual pass in the app and it gave me a link to the iOS App Store.

I went to FB because I've had positive results there before - current state it's a why bother.

Most TMs don't actually care too much about visiting the parks, they really don't. People who get hired for HHN do, but everyone else works there too much to care enough to come there...
I take a big issue with your use of MOST. That's not true! I think you meant SOME.

I take a big issue with your use of MOST. That's not true! I think you meant SOME.
I’ve worked for about three different departments at the company and only in Entertainment do people actively go to the park for fun. Other than going with family and using comp passes, I can honestly say no one I’ve worked with elsewhere ever talk about nor do I see them come to the parks. If anything, they are dismissive and I know people who have worked in the park for years and never once spent a day there for fun.

I agree maybe saying “Most” is a little strong, but it’s certainly not that large a percentage. Even the TM Park After Dark events don’t draw big crowds.

I also think even if it wasn't a robot messing up sentence structure, I thought it was meant in more of a joking manner anyways. Everything sucks and everyone's primed and ready to blow up at anything right now, so honestly it was nice to see a little levity by Uni themselves, even if it wasn't intentional. :bored:

---

Anyways, I'm back (hopefully) unscathed! I went with around 9 other people and honestly we had a great time. (We seemed to be one of the larger groups in the park). A few thoughts and experiences from day one.

-It was dead, dead, DEAD in the parks today. Our group of 10 was able to get on every major attraction without waiting a moment. The only wait was for P. Flyers, and that was only 20 min at most and simply a case of extremely low capacity. It's hard to tell with so few people hete, but we never felt worried about being too close to anyone or having to uphold social distancing. Everyone kept to themselves for the most part. I can see why Uni decided to give an extra guest comp pass for tomorrow. They probably wanted to start small today and judge how well it goes, and now that it was a relative success they want a larger sample to emulate Wednesday and on.

-Simpsons Midway Games were free to play and the Carnie employees were actively scouting for people to play. We ended up doing like 75% of them. No prizes with F2P. Don't know if this was an option before but we certainly didn't know about it.

-Curious George, Feivel Slide, and Bourne not open.

-ET cards are gone. E.T. simply says "Goodbye, Friends" everytime. He did this pre-Corona if he was given no name data to work from, but now it is the norm it seems.

-M&G Characters around both parks are now on stages. I saw Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Spidey, and Cyclops at the far edge of MSHI, Spongebob and Patrick on the Kidzone stage, Popeye on the ramp to the Toon Lagoon ampitheatre, and Hashtag the Panda on the steps of Fallon behind a fence. All characters were wearing some kind of mask except Betty Boop and Beetlejuice, both found on the Horror Make Up show stage.

-Some effects on FJ not working. Dragon did not spit fire, similar fog effects seemed fine for other attractions. All but one of the Dementors were stripped down to the Kuka Arm and all were not operating. No skull water projection. Spiders still spit though!

-No preshows for Gringotts, MiB, Hagrids, E.T.

-Masks still seem to be required on coasters.

-Velocicoaster has made some awesome, very visible progress. The best places to see for me were Doom, P. Flyers, Hippogriff/HP Bridge.

-I doubt P. Flyers is going to allow adults for the record, mostly just a way to get TMs trained for the real deal.

-Food was kind of a mess tbh. You have to order via the app in any restaurant to my knowledge, but it took asking 3 TMs to understand what we need to do to get a meal. Some restaurants only allow one group at a time. No TM Discount upfront, you have to pay in full and come back to the cashier after your meal to get any money reimbursed. Freestyle machines seemed very problematic. I had used one and come back to my table to find that a small black plastic tab from the dispenser had chipped off the machine and into my drink. TMs helped me out, but it took about 10 minutes of waiting for me to actually get my drink with no other group in the building. My entire group agreed that all of the soda seemed metallic in taste, and whether that is from lack of use for months or the employee wiping down every inch of the machine with alcohol wipes after every use, it definitely wasn't very pleasant. Definitely the least safe I felt today by far.

-Employees wipe down ride vehicles and give guests hand sanitizer immediately before every ride.

-Superstar floats and music were around, but different. Only one float/IP would come out at a time. I saw a lone SLoP float drive all the way from Esoteric to New York, and a lone Spongebob float stay around Esoteric for guest to take pictures with the characters from a distance, similar to the stage idea. SLoP bikes were out, but I did not see Spongebob Skaters. Blues Brothers show and car were out. Diagon shows and Beat Builders seem untouched.

-It was very hot today. I didn't have any huge problems with masks, but I can definitely see how the heat and humidity could get to some people. It's definitely different than what people, even locals, are used to. Some people probably won't have a good time at all with these restrictions. Keep your limitations in mind when planning trips at this time.

Any of this could change from now to official reopen, so keep that in mind. We had a great time but it was definitely very strange. Hopefully it'll only get better with TM practice.

Last edited:
I also think even if it wasn't a robot messing up sentence structure, I thought it was meant in more of a joking manner anyways. Everything sucks and everyone's primed and ready to blow up at anything right now, so honestly it was nice to see a little levity by Uni themselves, even if it wasn't intentional. :bored:

---

Anyways, I'm back (hopefully) unscathed! I went with around 9 other people and honestly we had a great time. (We seemed to be one of the larger groups in the park). A few thoughts and experiences from day one.

-It was dead, dead, DEAD in the parks today. Our group of 10 was able to get on every major attraction without waiting a moment. The only wait was for P. Flyers, and that was only 20 min at most and simply a case of extremely low capacity. It's hard to tell with so few people hete, but we never felt worried about being too close to anyone or having to uphold social distancing. Everyone kept to themselves for the most part. I can see why Uni decided to give an extra guest comp pass for tomorrow. They probably wanted to start small today and judge how well it goes, and now that it was a relative success they want a larger sample to emulate Wednesday and on.

-Simpsons Midway Games were free to play and the Carnie employees were actively scouting for people to play. We ended up doing like 75% of them. No prizes with F2P. Don't know if this was an option before but we certainly didn't know about it.

-Curious George, Feivel Slide, and Bourne not open.

-ET cards are gone. E.T. simply says "Goodbye, Friends" everytime. He did this pre-Corona if he was given no name data to work from, but now it is the norm it seems.

-M&G Characters around both parks are now on stages. I saw Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Spidey, and Cyclops at the far edge of MSHI, Spongebob and Patrick on the Kidzone stage, Popeye on the ramp to the Toon Lagoon ampitheatre, and Hashtag the Panda on the steps of Fallon behind a fence. All characters were wearing some kind of mask except Betty Boop and Beetlejuice, both found on the Horror Make Up show stage.

-Some effects on FJ not working. Dragon did not spit fire, similar fog effects seemed fine for other attractions. All but one of the Dementors were stripped down to the Kuka Arm and all were not operating. No skull water projection. Spiders still spit though!

-No preshows for Gringotts, MiB, Hagrids, E.T.

-Masks still seem to be required on coasters.

-Velocicoaster has made some awesome, very visible progress. The best places to see for me were Doom, P. Flyers, Hippogriff/HP Bridge.

-I doubt P. Flyers is going to allow adults for the record, mostly just a way to get TMs trained for the real deal.

-Food was kind of a mess tbh. You have to order via the app in any restaurant to my knowledge, but it took asking 3 TMs to understand what we need to do to get a meal. Some restaurants only allow one group at a time. No TM Discount upfront, you have to pay in full and come back to the cashier after your meal to get any money reimbursed. Freestyle machines seemed very problematic. I had used one and come back to my table to find that a small black plastic tab from the dispenser had chipped off the machine and into my drink. TMs helped me out, but it took about 10 minutes of waiting for me to actually get my drink with no other group in the building. My entire group agreed that all of the soda seemed metallic in taste, and whether that is from lack of use for months or the employee wiping down every inch of the machine with alcohol wipes after every use, it definitely wasn't very pleasant. Definitely the least safe I felt today by far.

-Employees wipe down ride vehicles and give guests hand sanitizer immediately before every ride.

-Superstar floats and music were around, but different. Only one float/IP would come out at a time. I saw a lone SLoP float drive all the way from Esoteric to New York, and a lone Spongebob float stay around Esoteric for guest to take pictures with the characters from a distance, similar to the stage idea. SLoP bikes were out, but I did not see Spongebob Skaters. Blues Brothers show and car were out. Diagon shows and Beat Builders seem untouched.

-It was very hot today. I didn't have any huge problems with masks, but I can definitely see how the heat and humidity could get to some people. It's definitely different than what people, even locals, are used to. Some people probably won't have a good time at all with these restrictions. Keep your limitations in mind when planning trips at this time.

Any of this could change from now to official reopen, so keep that in mind. We had a great time but it was definitely very strange. Hopefully it'll only get better with TM practice.
Do you happen to know if Poseidon's Fury was operating/will be operating? My hopes are low, but I'd love to see it one more time on the 6th.

No idea unfortunately, we skipped LC pretty consistently today. I will be back Wednesday and will be sure to check for you.
Yes please! Thank you so much. It's my all-time favorite attraction/universal childhood memory. One more chance would be great! Obviously it probably won't stick around for much longer. (But then again, people have been saying that for the past 10 years) So yes! I'd very much appreciate it! Thank you

This is good news...but taking it with a huge grain of salt. We are Day 3 of a Curfew in LA County, so no clue if The City of Universal wants another targeted area for events to play out on june 8th.

(not trying to make it political but I live in LA and this is this current situation and doesn't look like its going to let up soon, so it will be a fact in reopening parks)

Status
Not open for further replies.