Thor: Love and Thunder | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Thor: Love and Thunder

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They have…? :lol:
Sorry ment when Steve and Tony where fighting in civil war end battle safe with Wanda vs strange

Like I love to laugh but serious fights when life is on the line and the characters hate each other, it’s time to be serious

Just me and why to me winter Solider, civil war and the last two avenger films are leagues above most of phase 4

Side note about MCU TV - those ratings on RT usually aren’t a fair estimate. A lot of reviewers post their opinions on the first half of the season (or what they were allowed to see in advance) and don’t do reviews for follow up episodes. So the rating is a snapshot of the season, not the entire product like the reviews for movies.

In my opinion, they can’t be counted the same, especially since MCU shows notoriously have finished poorly.

Side note about MCU TV - those ratings on RT usually aren’t a fair estimate. A lot of reviewers post their opinions on the first half of the season (or what they were allowed to see in advance) and don’t do reviews for follow up episodes. So the rating is a snapshot of the season, not the entire product like the reviews for movies.

In my opinion, they can’t be counted the same, especially since MCU shows notoriously have finished poorly.
I thought Moon Knight finished good, Loki was probably the strongest finish, i've always liked FatWS. Hawkeye and WandaVision didn't finish extremely strong, but I don't think the shows always end poorly. I'd say 2 shows have had a bad/meh ending and 3 have had an okay/good ending. None have had a great ending however, so that's where I agree with you.

We'll see how Ms. Marvel ends next week, but tbh, it's been my favorite MCU show so I hope they nail the ending next week.

I thought Moon Knight finished good, Loki was probably the strongest finish, i've always liked FatWS. Hawkeye and WandaVision didn't finish extremely strong, but I don't think the shows always end poorly. I'd say 2 shows have had a bad/meh ending and 3 have had an okay/good ending. None have had a great ending however, so that's where I agree with you.

We'll see how Ms. Marvel ends next week, but tbh, it's been my favorite MCU show so I hope they nail the ending next week.
That’s fair - all I’m trying to say is that TV show reviews on RT cannot be a 1-to-1 with movies given seasons/series are rarely reviewed in totality when the ratings are tallied.

Judging from one review I've watched, the villain not being taken seriously is far and away not a problem in Love & Thunder. Waititi amped up the zaniness and joking for a portion of the screen time but there's some serious repercussions to be had from the God Butcher to the point where the reviewer called it the darkest and saddest MCU film in quite some time in terms of themes and character narratives.

That’s fair - all I’m trying to say is that TV show reviews on RT cannot be a 1-to-1 with movies given seasons/series are rarely reviewed in totality when the ratings are tallied.
Well, with Moon Knight at least press was given the first 4 episodes and with WandaVision press was reviewing every episode on RT on its individual episode pages.

I mean maybe im taking crazy pills but F...reviewers on marvel films right now like I loved this and like Dr Stange and so many talk about them like we are watching two different films

The film is funny and goofy yes but like Jo Jo Rabbit allows the serious parts to stay that way. No spoilers but this is my favorite Thor film

I mean this is my second Favorite phase 4 film and in my top 15 MCU films for sure. The action was great, loved the black and white stuff, thought Bale was pretty dam good, its goofy and funny at times but when the sad moments hit like Jane in the hospital with Thor, yeah that got me. Matt Damion back was great, I think Valk got more then enough screen time (no clue what IGN review was on about it) and Zues in his own way was a great villain.

I like "Love"and love that the end title reveal. I think this was by far the best Thor film and didn't even have Loki in it. Also I am soooo excited for the next film with him vs Hercules
Where the F was Khonshu? I thought he was all about saving people and he didn't help here?

Reactions: imagin78
Well, with Moon Knight at least press was given the first 4 episodes and with WandaVision press was reviewing every episode on RT on its individual episode pages.
And I could be wrong - but I think if the same reviewers writes an individual positive review for each episode, they count as a new fresh rating against the total score. So like one reviewer could count for 6 reviews.

I just think TV reviews in RT shouldn’t be counted until the show or season is complete. For example, I would have given the first few episodes of Obi-Wan a fresh rating, but by the end, I’d say the series was rotten. If it was a movie, I would have just given it a rotten review.

Oh god. This movie. It's better than The Dark World, but that's not exactly a high bar...

6 MCU movie in the past 365 days (and 11 total projects) and the only one that can compete in terms of quality with DC projects is No Way Home. I'm someone who likes Marvel characters and styling more, and No Way Home, just based on nostalgia and execution is probably my favorite, but The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker, and The Batman all come close.
The comedy is constant through the whole movie and many times it doesn't even land. There is some decent jokes, but it's trying way too hard. It truly did feel like a parody of a MCU movie at times. I know that was said in some reviews, but it's not for no reason because it's absolutely true.

I know Taika is the director and his sense of humor is way out there (I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Our Flag Means Death), but story is the most important and they focused on the pomp, bright colors, music, and Thor's fricken relationship with Mjölnir and Stormbreaker. James Gunn directs Guardians for instance, but he knows how to balance story, heart, and comedy very well. He knows he's not making Superbad when he makes a Guardians movie. There was no real attempt at balancing in this movie.

There was very little heart to this film and the story was weak. They barely explained how Jane turned into Mighty Thor, only had a few lines of dialogue. Apparently Thor can give his powers to anyone he wants now? Gorr stopped because Thor said a thing to him? Ugh.

Guardians felt under utilized. Christian Bale is clearly the best part, but his character was neutered and he deserved so much better than this movie. Russell Crow as Zeus was... definitely something. Thor was Thor, but more stupid than we've ever seen him. They keep doing this too him and it's starting to tire. I liked Jane. I liked the look of New Asgard. Also, the meaning behind the title was cool.

And I could be wrong - but I think if the same reviewers writes an individual positive review for each episode, they count as a new fresh rating against the total score. So like one reviewer could count for 6 reviews.

I just think TV reviews in RT shouldn’t be counted until the show or season is complete. For example, I would have given the first few episodes of Obi-Wan a fresh rating, but by the end, I’d say the series was rotten. If it was a movie, I would have just given it a rotten review.
I agree, there needs to be a better way to rate shows that run week to week. The TV rating system is basically set up to best suit binge content. I don't know if that was the original intent behind the current system (i'm sure it's been updated since Netflix started their Originals), but there really needs to be a different way to rate TV Shows versus movies. Or even weekly TV shows versus binge shows.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is bottom tier MCU. I'm so checked out of the franchise.
I said this on twitter, but it feels like after The Infinity Saga ended and Feige saw the mandate of not only 3-4 movies per year, but also 3-4 shows, it forced him to delegate more, meaning he isn't hands on and able to control things or fix minor things that may be tonally wrong such as literally the first scene in Love and Thunder. Bale is doing a great dramatic performance as Gorr, just having lost his daughter, and some rando God who we're seeing for the first time basically craps all over him. It was like two completely different movies stuffed in one scene.

The delegation and more hands off approach has caused Phase Four to feel like it's just Feige f'n around and experimenting with a bunch of different concepts after great success. Ironically, the best film of the phase isn't even a Disney release, but Sony. This Phase has just been so mediocre (at best, really). I went in with low expectations last night and those were pretty much met, but only because I liked Jane as Mighty Thor.

The worst part is it just all seems directionless even though we know more or less where it's going. It doesn't feel like these movies need to be connected and honestly, I wish Marvel Studios would do what DC is doing. have a shared universe, but also do stand alone films based on some of your most popular/profitable characters. It would be a way to do another Iron Man film, for example.

If I had to rank phase four, it would be:

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home
2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
3. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
4. Black Widow
5. Eternals
6. Thor: Love and Thunder

I was very, very close to putting Black Widow at #3, but MoM is just more fun, despite not getting as solid of performances. Harbour, Pugh and Weicz were absolute standouts and there was some great family moments throughout the film, especially between Harbour and Pugh and Johansson and Pugh.

Multiverse of Madness is just a much more impactful film to the future whereas Black Widow was a fun action adventure film, but no one wanted a prequel film. The should've made a Black Widow film right after Winter Soldier. 2015-ish would've been perfect timing, possibly as the movie after Age of Ultron that summer (in the spot where Ant-Man released)

I said this on twitter, but it feels like after The Infinity Saga ended and Feige saw the mandate of not only 3-4 movies per year, but also 3-4 shows, it forced him to delegate more, meaning he isn't hands on and able to control things or fix minor things that may be tonally wrong such as literally the first scene in Love and Thunder. Bale is doing a great dramatic performance as Gorr, just having lost his daughter, and some rando God who we're seeing for the first time basically craps all over him. It was like two completely different movies stuffed in one scene.

The delegation and more hands off approach has caused Phase Four to feel like it's just Feige f'n around and experimenting with a bunch of different concepts after great success. Ironically, the best film of the phase isn't even a Disney release, but Sony. This Phase has just been so mediocre (at best, really). I went in with low expectations last night and those were pretty much met, but only because I liked Jane as Mighty Thor.

The worst part is it just all seems directionless even though we know more or less where it's going. It doesn't feel like these movies need to be connected and honestly, I wish Marvel Studios would do what DC is doing. have a shared universe, but also do stand alone films based on some of your most popular/profitable characters. It would be a way to do another Iron Man film, for example.

If I had to rank phase four, it would be:

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home
2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
3. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
4. Black Widow
5. Eternals
6. Thor: Love and Thunder

I was very, very close to putting Black Widow at #3, but MoM is just more fun overall and despite not getting as solid of performances. Harbour, Pugh and Weicz were absolute standouts and there was some great family moments throughout the film, especially between Harbour and Pugh and Johansson and Pugh.

Multiverse of Madness is just a much more impactful film to the future whereas Black Widow was a fun action adventure film, but no one wanted a prequel film. The should've made a Black Widow film right after Winter Soldier. 2015-ish would've been perfect timing, possibly as the movie after Age of Ultron that summer (in the spot where Ant-Man released)
I still haven't seen Eternals, Shang-Chi, or any of the shows since Hawkeye. The MCU is becoming a higher investment/lower reward type deal with every new film and series. Aside from Guardians, nothing on the slate excites me when Phase 4 has been consistently meh. General audiences are catching on too; Love and Thunder's audience score is already below Multiverse of Madness which didn't have the greatest staying power. Wakanda Forever will be an interesting one to follow.

Reactions: belloq87 and Bort
I still haven't seen Eternals, Shang-Chi, or any of the shows since Hawkeye. The MCU is becoming a higher investment/lower reward type deal with every new film and series. Aside from Guardians, nothing on the slate excites me when Phase 4 has been consistently meh. General audiences are catching on too; Love and Thunder's audience score is already below Multiverse of Madness which didn't have the greatest staying power. Wakanda Forever will be an interesting one to follow.
Tbh, most series you don't need to watch until whatever associated movie comes along for the character. Like I enjoy Ms. Marvel, but it's probably not necessary to watch it until right before The Marvels next year. Hawkeye is only necessary to watch probably by the time Echo comes around, which is more or less a Daredevil series in disguise.

I absolutely loved Shang-Chi. Eternals... eh. It's too bad I say that about one of these because they're supposed to be fun. This movie was just bloated. It felt a bit DC-ish in it's tone which I don't mind I just think at the end of the day, they introduced way too many characters in Eternals and that forced the movie to be exposition-heavy.

I thought the movie was pretty good.
Ragnarok was definitely better. I really enjoyed several aspects of it but a few things did not work for me. I think if Mighty Thor had her own movie it would have worked better honestly. I think even I have Marvel fatigue. I’ve been liking the streaming shows a bit better because they’ve had more time to do the story and felt less big (I hated Falcon and Winter Soldier).

I thought the movie was pretty good.
Ragnarok was definitely better. I really enjoyed several aspects of it but a few things did not work for me. I think if Mighty Thor had her own movie it would have worked better honestly. I think even I have Marvel fatigue. I’ve been liking the streaming shows a bit better because they’ve had more time to do the story and felt less big (I hated Falcon and Winter Soldier).
I think I said this above, but imo the movie was all over the place tonally. From the very first scene. Christian Bale is giving a great dramatic performance as Gorr, his daughter had just died, and then he stumbles upon some rando God who craps all over him for really no reason at all. It's basically two different movies set within one scene.

If you liked it than that's awesome, I just personally don't think Taika mixed the comedic moments (which was almost around every turn) with the more serious ones and I don't think he read the room right if you understand what i'm saying. There's somethimes where it seems like the movie should have a dramatic moment where Taika does a 180 and then there's times where it seems like the comedic moments just don't need to be there. Like the extremely dumb humor that makes Thor look like an idiot or, idk, flying around on Stormbreaker like a witch.

Saw it last night, it was just very middle of the road. I thought the tension between the Jane/Thor romance and the Gorr story felt like they should've been two different movies. The jokes were also really dated. I don't even think I need to delve into spoilers because not much happens and the status quo remains the same by the end of the movie. Good post credits though, hopefully they can stick the landing next time.

They really did a "he's right behind me isn't he" joke in 2022, my God. Bush administration humor
That’s part of why it didn’t work for me too. If you’re gonna make a movie that’s so heavily reliant on comedy, it needs to be funny. I’d say it should live right around where Ragnarok was comedically. A lot of the jokes were almost stupid humor I would expect from an Adam Sandler movie.

The more I think about it, I may like Thor: The Dark World better. At least there’s some cool Loki stuff in that movie.