Triceratops Encounters Return | Inside Universal Forums

Triceratops Encounters Return

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
Seems that there's a rumor flying around that Triceratops Encounter may be returning in Jurassic Park.

This would make alot of sense, IMO. It would help draw more people into JP, which is kind of neglected. It's a great Island, one of my favorites, and it'd be nice to have more to do.

Once Potter opens and more people begin flocking to Islands, this could also help alot with the capacity issues that I'm sure most attractions will be facing. It's a solid move to help out.

We've also heard that Island Skipper Tours may be making a comeback too... :thumbs:

i stand by the fact that it would be AWESOME if they could manage to make the first years' boats to hogwarts out of island skipper tours. imagine all the "first years" sailing up to hogwarts castle across the black lake...it would be a magical sensation.

Two attractions that I used to LOVE, especially Island Skipper Tours.
Triceratops Encounter was so ahead of its time, it was genuinely a unique, ahead of it time, attraction.

Island Skippers I wouldn't care about but Trike would be awesome to have back. I wish I could get excited about these rumors but I've been posting on Universal forums for a little over 3 years and I've heard this rumor multiple times. I'm not saying it's not going to re-open but I just can't take the Trike rumors with anything other than a grain of salt.

Island Skippers I wouldn't care about but Trike would be awesome to have back. I wish I could get excited about these rumors but I've been posting on Universal forums for a little over 3 years and I've heard this rumor multiple times. I'm not saying it's not going to re-open but I just can't take the Trike rumors with anything other than a grain of salt.

Yeah, I am with you, Jake, but this time the rumors seem to be going around rather strongly, so we shall see. ;)

a few months ago i talked to a team member at IOA about Triceratops Encounter, and he said that they get about 50 requests a day to re-open it. He said that he doesn't know if universal plans on opening it, but I keep thinking they will when HP opens up and they have all that extra traffic back there that could benefit from a high-capacity attraction.

Never understood why they ever closed down Triceratops Encounter. When IOA opened up that was so hyped that it cost millions and had the latest and greatest technology! Hopefully it will open back up someday. It was great watching kids faces when they got to see a "living, breathing" dino right in front of them!

I never got to experience the Triceratops Encounter. I've seen many videos and TV Specials about it, and heard only good things about it, especially from here. Good theme parks need solid story walk-throughs. It's a shame Trike got the axe. Hope it comes back.

I know that the rumors are strong but they were in 2007. I hope it reopens I really do, but I just can't take it with any thing but a grain of salt you know?

Yeah, but this is 2009, not 2007. I think Trike has a strong chance of reopening. It would make sense to have an extra attraction to help with capacity, if you think about it. Potter is going to generate a lot of traffic in the back half of the park, so they will need every possible attraction operational to help reduce as much traffic as possible without causing bottlenecks.

Never understood why they ever closed down Triceratops Encounter. When IOA opened up that was so hyped that it cost millions and had the latest and greatest technology! Hopefully it will open back up someday. It was great watching kids faces when they got to see a "living, breathing" dino right in front of them!

I believe I have read that it was very expensive to maintain both the robotics and the skin. This makes sense as I visited the park for the first time back in December of 1999 and the park had only been open 8 months at that point.

On my wait out of the encounter on the exit path and I noticed a path coming in from one of the other encounter buildings so I walked back up the path to the exit door which was open a crack to see two or three guys working on the skinless trike. I even took a picture of it which startled the hell out of them. Anyway, that shows how often these things might have gone down for maintenance.

I believe I have read that it was very expensive to maintain both the robotics and the skin. This makes sense as I visited the park for the first time back in December of 1999 and the park had only been open 8 months at that point.

On my wait out of the encounter on the exit path and I noticed a path coming in from one of the other encounter buildings so I walked back up the path to the exit door which was open a crack to see two or three guys working on the skinless trike. I even took a picture of it which startled the hell out of them. Anyway, that shows how often these things might have gone down for maintenance.

Well, you also have to consider that technology has improved since then. I'm sure they could upgrade the trikes with some more current parts and pieces to make the maintenance cheaper.

Well, you also have to consider that technology has improved since then. I'm sure they could upgrade the trikes with some more current parts and pieces to make the maintenance cheaper.

I originally thought of that, but then realized that Universal still can't get a Mummy right. :lol:

I first did the Triceratops Encounter back in 2001, during my first visit to Islands of Adventure:

2001islandsofadventure0.jpg

(That's me on the bottom :p) I really enjoyed it as a kid, and I'd assume today's kids would like it also. It's a really unique experience, and as a 2nd grader, I seriously thought it may be real.

And two more pictures to throw in there...

p7200007.jpg

The entrance in 2004, shortly after the ride's closure (notice the cameo netting carelessly tossed over the sign)

img1641i.jpg

And today; notice the attraction's sign's replacement. Also notice how the paint has faded- hopefully that'll be fixed with the park-wide rehab currently happening at Islands of Adventure.

About the Skipper's boat (which unfortunately I've never had the pleasure to try) I think that will be reopened because of two reasons:
1) the new double park-map features again the boats in the lagoon;
2) I have a couple of photos that show that the entrance to the attraction has been repainted:

100_4202.JPG

100_4203.JPG

About Triceratop Encounter unfortunately i have no clue...

I was walking by the Triceratops Encounter entrance(this was the last time I was at IOA, which was for HHN on the 26th), and I was talking to a friend about how there used to be a ride there, and all of a sudden an employee jumped in the conversation with a "Yeah, it's going to reopen soon". We then talked about it, and he said they were working on one of the "paddocks". Very exciting.